• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
BadAlchemy

Things can only get shitter

In 1997 I was told "Things can only get better". I want my money back:(

https://www.breitbart.com/europe/2019/09/13/poll-majority-believe-society-broken-economy-rigged-benefit-rich-powerful

"Ipsos MORI published on Friday findings from surveying more than 18,000 people in 27 countries worldwide on their sense of the democratic and social health of their nations, which revealed that dissatisfaction with the system and traditional politics was prevalent across the world and growing in Great Britain.

The British portion of the statistics were discussed by the pollsters in the context of Brexit, where figures were compared with other nations and previous years, going back to the year of the referendum, 2016.
The survey found that 63 per cent of Britons agreed with the statement that “the UK’s society is broken”, up from 56 per cent in 2016 and higher than the global average of 54 per cent.

Seven in ten feel that the UK’s economy is “rigged to advantage the rich and powerful”, higher than in 2016 (67 per cent) and 2018 (63 per cent).

When asked to respond to the statement, “traditional parties and politicians don’t care about people like me,” 69 per cent agreed, higher that the global average of 66 per cent and up 11 points from 2016 (58 per cent).

Britons also agreed that their country “needs a strong leader to take the country back from the rich and powerful” at a proportion of 70 per cent, higher than the global average of 64 per cent. When examining this statistic in the context of other nations, the UK is the fifth highest, with the top six countries agreeing with that statement being true for their own nations being:

India (80 per cent)
Mexico (79 per cent)
Peru (74 per cent)
Brazil (73 per cent)
Great Britain (70 per cent)
South Africa (69 per cent)

This means that Britons have around the same level of confidence in the fairness of their governing structures as peoples in developing nations in the Global South

8 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Ironically the moment you were told that “Things can only get better” was the exact moment things started to go downhill in Britain. The effects weren’t noticed until later, but that was the moment.

Yep. Saw the article and immediately thought of that song with Blair and the Gang all singing along. That's when the shafting began good and proper.

25 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Ironically the moment you were told that “Things can only get better” was the exact moment things started to go downhill in Britain. The effects weren’t noticed until later, but that was the moment.

Don't be evil.

5 minutes ago, InLikeFlynn said:

Someone had to do this... sorry

I just did a little version of that in my head where the old guy's brakes have been tampered with at 0:37 and it's Tony running across the road instead of the other guy. 

If only...

How many lives could have been saved...

31 minutes ago, spunko said:

To be honest I'm surprised only 63% of Britons think that society is broken. If this were to put to a DOSBODS poll I reckon it'd be 95%+ :Old:

From the article........

Other polls in recent years have revealed Britons are feeling dissatisfied with their state of being, with one finding last month that an overwhelming 89 per cent of 16- to 29-year-olds believe their lives have no purpose or meaning, while another from 2017 found that 73 per cent of older people feel lonely.

2 hours ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

At least we now know that everything will be unredeemingly awful in the worst of all possible worlds.

Edited by Virgil Caine

50 minutes ago, dgul said:

I've never seen so many white faces.

An odd way to go about a campaign. Those streets look bloody nice after 18 years of Tories back in 1997, and btw those houses were the cheapest they had ever been in recorded history compared to wages to boot.

Edited by crashmonitor

In the past 20 years or so it's become increasingly clear that the UK people have also become more and more awakened to the crookedness and corruption throughout - which must be a good thing.

That 1997 Party Political Broadcast with the last image being Toxic Tony - yuck.

Edited by twocents

I always wonder about polls like this along with consumer confidence ect.

Are things worse and more rigged or do people have access to better (big caveat with that word) or more information? Are world atrocities any worse or are they better reported?

8 minutes ago, Thombleached said:

I always wonder about polls like this along with consumer confidence ect.

Are things worse and more rigged or do people have access to better (big caveat with that word) or more information? Are world atrocities any worse or are they better reported?

Who cares about world atrocities?  Things in this country for ordinary people have got incrementally worse for the last 35 years.

Fuck ‘em. Fuck them all.  

58 minutes ago, Van Lady said:

From the article........

Other polls in recent years have revealed Britons are feeling dissatisfied with their state of being, with one finding last month that an overwhelming 89 per cent of 16- to 29-year-olds believe their lives have no purpose or meaning, while another from 2017 found that 73 per cent of older people feel lonely.

Well other than get pissed and sex is there a meaning to life mind I’m watching day of the dead it might be depressing me lol

7 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

Well other than get pissed and sex is there a meaning to life mind I’m watching day of the dead it might be depressing me lol

Day of the Dead is a satire on consumerism. Go with the flow Stoke.

6 minutes ago, One percent said:

Oh I do. Every little way, every day. 👍

Anything you want to share?

2 hours ago, Van Lady said:

From the article........

Jesus , that first article is enough to make you weep. 

2 hours ago, BadAlchemy said:

I just did a little version of that in my head where the old guy's brakes have been tampered with at 0:37 and it's Tony running across the road instead of the other guy. 

If only...

How many lives could have been saved...

2 hours ago, dgul said:

I've never seen so many white faces.

It's funny how they wouldn't show his face. Even then. Then not until the last second the sleaze bag showed himself. He typies everything wrong with the UK. Selling a line of hope and ended up being the master of sleaze. Scum. 

Edited by Green Devil

1 hour ago, King of Fools said:

Day of the Dead is a satire on consumerism. Go with the flow Stoke.

Anything you want to share?

No your thinking of the one in the shopping mall the one I’ve watched was in the nuclear silo edit im

puting dawn of the dead on now ie 77/78 yes it’s a total piss take of consumerism 

Edited by stokiescum

1 hour ago, stokiescum said:

I just watched sicario (again). Life is even cheaper in Mexico than it is here. Fuck going on holiday there. 

Great film though, often on film4.

2 hours ago, One percent said:

Who cares about world atrocities?  Things in this country for ordinary people have got incrementally worse for the last 35 years.

Fuck ‘em. Fuck them all.  

That Labour propaganda video made me think back to the mid to late 90s when we were promised that CCTV would reduce crime. It was a new age of technology. Yet here we are 20 years later with the highest number of CCTV cameras per capita in the world, and the highest crime rate in Europe. 

The solution is of course... to build more CCTV cameras!

Edited by spunko