• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Battenberg

The moon is huge

Don’t think I’ve ever seen it as big as it is tonight. It is so large and such a lovely colour that I had trouble keeping my eyes on the road when driving.

Anyone else notice it tonight?

Edited by Battenberg

16 minutes ago, Battenberg said:

Don’t think I’ve ever seen it as big as it is tonight. It is so large and such a lovely colour that I had trouble keeping my eyes on the road when driving.

Anyone else notice it tonight?

Was on my bike and it was on the East horizon and big and orange, as I came down the hill I glanced across a cut wheat field and thought 'that must be a harvest moon'.

My Hong Kong friend emailed me and mentioned that today is the Chinese Moon Festival, and recommended I take a look, which I did, and that the moon is at its "roundest and brightest" today. [Don't know over what time span - the year, I guess]. They eat moon cakes and have a festival, apparently.

Friday 13th... Full Moon!

27 minutes ago, DocH said:

My Hong Kong friend emailed me and mentioned that today is the Chinese Moon Festival, and recommended I take a look, which I did, and that the moon is at its "roundest and brightest" today. [Don't know over what time span - the year, I guess]. They eat moon cakes and have a festival, apparently.

I was going to get a Moon Cake from the Chinese Supermarket... until I saw the price! Must be the shipping costs 🤣

Edited by OurDayWillCome

3 minutes ago, OurDayWillCome said:

Friday 13th... Full Moon!

I was going to get a Moon Cake from the Chinese Supermarket... until I saw the price! Must be the shipping costs 🤣

Well, shipping it 238,000 miles doesn't come cheap!

The strange thing about the moon is the number of exceedingly incredible mathematical anomaly’s associated with it, the earth and the sun.

Plus the moon rotates in perfect syncronicity with the earth so we never see the dark side and its orbit.

Unusually for moons its obit is almost perfectly circular.

It orbits the earth at 1 moon diameter per hour.

Its orbit is 30 earth diameters.

Its sized perfectly to exactly cover the sun during a total eclipse.

There are more 'coincidences' but I'm tired and can't think anymore tonight.

200px-Animation_of_Moon_orbit_around_Ear

1 hour ago, DocH said:

Moon cakes are horrid. Like a pork pie but full of congealed perfumed snot. Utterly minging.

Edited by Oskar
mingling not mingling

2 hours ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

The sun is even bigger but it's further away. 

I've said it before and....bla blah

There are 2 big things in our sky.  Right now, they are the same size from our point of view.

Does this happen anywhere else?  Not that we know of.

If it did, would there be anything there to appreciate it?  Not that we know of.

Coincidence?

2 minutes ago, sbn said:

There are 2 big things in our sky.  Right now, they are the same size from our point of view.

If it did, would there be anything there to appreciate it?  Not that we know of.

Coincidence?

I don’t think I’ve drink quite enough to follow you..   but I’m getting there

12 minutes ago, sbn said:

Coincidence?

Yes, coincidence. Bearing in mind that the apparent sizes of both the Sun and Moon vary because their distances from Earth vary. So they are not the same apparent size, just roughly the same apparent size.

That is why some solar eclipses are annular eclipses, and at other times solar eclipses last longer because the Moon more than covers the Sun.

Lunation_animation_April_2007.gif

We can see about 60% of the Moon's surface from Earth over time.

Edited by Happy Renting

They're academic subjects now, - the moon and the sun.  But t'was not always thus.  For millions of years, they were the only show on earth.  One 400 X bigger diameter than the other. But 400 X further away.  What are the chances?  Not a bit bigger... or a bit closer....or 1 of 3, or not on intersecting orbits......

Like EVERWHERE ELSE WE KNOW OF.

Total and perfect solar eclipses are unique to the only place that has eyes and minds to appreciate them. 

Freaks me out.

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

Yes, massive.

I was at a concert and walking back to the car noticed the big and very bright full moon hanging low in the sky.

In the time before artificial light this would have been amazing: night turned into day.

Yup.  We are so saturated with the modern world, few notice...

3 hours ago, One percent said:

Is this code for a spy drop now that the printed legacy media has died?  Not sure I like dosbods being used as an espionage site bo.O

Epicentre. 

Full house.

24/7 spy ring. 

Trust Dosbods.  

Q.