• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Sugarlips

UK Town centre regeneration, are you a winner?

Ulls on there.

Ulls problem is that the centre is about 5 times too big for the local spend.

They need to knock a lot of empty shops and what not down and build a park.

Scabbies there too. Wierdly, listed as Castle ward, so a fuckuup by SBC.

What they need to do their is kick out the scum thatat has been housed over the 30 years.

Boros there too. 1m would pay for a team of South American death squads to 'engage' with the begging junkies and asylum seekers.

2 hours ago, Stuey said:

Surprised they didn't mention Stockton or Yarm, suppose we'll keep them a secret :)

Stockton has had millions spent or should I say wasted on it over the last few years.  Like @spygirl girls says they need to kick out the scum first and stop housing immigrants.

1 hour ago, spygirl said:

Boros there too. 1m would pay for a team of South American death squads to 'engage' with the begging junkies and asylum seekers.

:D Had to quote that - an upvote just wasn't enough.

Although are there really begging asylum seekers? They do get paid you know via a card they can show at post offices.

Edited by Funn3r
Added question

Hastings historic part isn't the problem, it's the rest of the town - full of junkies and EEs - that needs to be nuked and iirc nukes start at about $50m from the US.

The average road sign costs the council £25k.

Better to spend this on deporting costs imo. 

I'm involved in one such project as a 'community representative', potentially £4m to spend on a small town centre. It will be interesting to see how the money gets spent. Real change or tinkering round the edges for political expediency.

As with potholes I'd rather money was spent on practical improvements than on diversity or worse props making houses more expensive.

The problem with the high street is that ownership is spread between too many owners. A typical high street might have a couple dozen shops with a couple of hundred flats/ offices above them. To get all these people to agree to investing in the high street is unlikely.... Or perhaps it would be better for the high street to knock  down buildings.... Again it's unlikely to get 50 people to agree to knock a building down. 

As a real life example my dad owns an industrial yard. There was a block of flats next to it which burnt down. It would make sense for us to buy the land where this block of flats was. However to agree to buy it from 10 different people would cost a fortune in legal fees... And at any time a single owner could hold us to ransom by not selling. The end result is that the site will lie empty for decades....

15 minutes ago, SillyBilly said:

Will be spunked on crass street furniture which is later vandalised by the yobs, drunks and EEs who hang out there all day. Perhaps money is best spent on installing sprinkler systems in stategic locations.

Britain's got one of those.  It is called Autumn and Winter.  And Spring.  And Summer.

31 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

The problem with the high street is that ownership is spread between too many owners. A typical high street might have a couple dozen shops with a couple of hundred flats/ offices above them. To get all these people to agree to investing in the high street is unlikely.... Or perhaps it would be better for the high street to knock  down buildings.... Again it's unlikely to get 50 people to agree to knock a building down. 

As a real life example my dad owns an industrial yard. There was a block of flats next to it which burnt down. It would make sense for us to buy the land where this block of flats was. However to agree to buy it from 10 different people would cost a fortune in legal fees... And at any time a single owner could hold us to ransom by not selling. The end result is that the site will lie empty for decades....

How did the flats get built if the land is owned by 10 different people?

Mercifully not.

This is like the "City of Culture" festivals.

To get on the shortlist there is one simple criterion: your town or city has to be dreadful; the sort of place that anyone can afford to move away from does so.

That listing in the OP may as well be headed up "Shit towns to avoid".

I'm not surprised to see Redruth and Chard on there as they much deserve their mark of shame.

3 hours ago, spygirl said:

Ulls on there.

Ulls problem is that the centre is about 5 times too big for the local spend.

They need to knock a lot of empty shops and what not down and build a park.

Scabbies there too. Wierdly, listed as Castle ward, so a fuckuup by SBC.

What they need to do their is kick out the scum thatat has been housed over the 30 years.

Won't take long to spunk £1.7m. This cost £650k and was scrapped a few years later. 

big-screenJPG.jpg

5 hours ago, Sugarlips said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-49692091

£95m / 69 towns = £1.37m each town, are you a beneficiary?

what will they spunk this lot on, it should buy a lot of arty park benches, injection centres and diversity lampposts...but what lasting benefits for the high st should they spend it on?

Absolutely none.

Pople get their tat oa Amazon and Ebay now they don't need Abdul's pound emporium.

18 minutes ago, The Generation Game 🙌 said:

Won't take long to spunk £1.7m. This cost £650k and was scrapped a few years later. 

big-screenJPG.jpg

big-screenJPG.jpg

Was that one of the Olympic TVs? There were about a dozen throughout the country set up from 2008 in preparation for the 2012 Olympics.

There was one in Plymouth and when I was there a couple of times I did sit down to watch Wimbledon or part of a film.

It was scrapped in 2018 because it was beginning to break down and parts were getting impossible to source.

It was a great idea and all the seating would be full for a kids' film in the summer.

Money well spent IMO.

1 minute ago, sarahbell said:

Every town needs a weatherspoons. Or a second one.

Yep, that's what the money should really be going on because that's what attracts people into town centres in the first place.

Prior to the Liskeard one opening up last year I had literally not set foot in Liskeard town centre; I have now been there twice.

5 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Was that one of the Olympic TVs? There were about a dozen throughout the country set up from 2008 in preparation for the 2012 Olympics.

There was one in Plymouth and when I was there a couple of times I did sit down to watch Wimbledon or part of a film.

It was scrapped in 2018 because it was beginning to break down and parts were getting impossible to source.

It was a great idea and all the seating would be full for a kids' film in the summer.

Money well spent IMO.

2004-2009. Was supposedly built for Athens 2004. 

3 hours ago, Sgt Hartman said:

Blackpool and Fleetwood are on there.

Nice idea but it won't even touch the sides. Blackpool council aren't exactly known for their financial nouse either.

A lot of money went on the refurb of the South Prom up to Starrgate. As far as I can tell nobody ever uses the South Prom beyond the South Pier. Outsized space age lampposts in the shopping area and the modernisation of the trams. Both, imo, ruining what Heritage was left.

Edited by crashmonitor