• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
JoeDavola

Stuck at a Party with Two Middle Aged Hipsters

For some reason, the video below was recommended to me and I watched the first two minutes of it before turning it off.

On the comments in YouTube, someone has said:

The beauty and satisfaction of listening to a conversation between intellectuals who are also very comedically gifted and who are deep philosophical thinkers is so rich and interesting. I feel like my mind and soul are both being fed with the deep content and integration of humor. There’s so much to love about this video and these two men in particular.

....whereas I cringed and thought 'what a pair of self-obsessed arseholes', and turned it off after two minutes. They reminded me of some people and types of people I know in the real world that are constantly trying to prove how fucking smart they are, and I've been stuck in social situations listening to wankers who talk like this thinking 'this is why I don't go out'. There's also something in my gut that I really don't like about this kind of person, I hesitate to throw around the word narcissist as I don't think it's quite right but there's something about them I don't like.

Add to this that these men are both in their 40's and really should have gotten over themselves by now.

So watch the first two or three minutes and see if you're as triggered as I was....intellectuals or arseholes?

Edited by JoeDavola

9 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

For some reason, the video below was recommended to me and I watched the first two minutes of it before turning it off.

....whereas I cringed and thought 'what a pair of self-obsessed arseholes', and turned it off after two minutes. They reminded me of some people and types of people I know in the real world that are constantly trying to prove how fucking smart they are, and I've been stuck in social situations listening to wankers who talk like this thinking 'this is why I don't go out'. There's also something in my gut that I really don't like about this kind of person, I hesitate to throw around the word narcissist as I don't think it's quite right but there's something about them I don't like.

Add to this that these men are both in their 40's and really should have gotten over themselves by now.

So watch the first two or three minutes and see if you're as triggered as I was....intellectuals or arseholes?

complete aresholes - society is full of them, it's why I live in the middle of nowhere and have only a handful of people to whom I ever speak.

8 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Russell has always been a bit of an arsehole, and I don't know who the other bloke is.

He's the guy who tells you to turn it off and turn it on again when your computer borks.

Looked at his T-Shirt (Brands) and thought Arsehole.

They have built careers on being the teenagers who never grew up but to keep earning money they have keep playing the part.

In Brands case it has reached game-over levels of cringeworthyness in appearance alone.

Some of Brands shows are a fantastic listen, and although he’s moved over to the Luminary subscription service, a load of his old podcasts are still on ITunes. 

Never liked the other guy, and hate him even more since he did those condescending “we are not an island” HSBC adverts. Probably still to this day, the most obvious anti-Brexit advertising campaign by any business.

1 hour ago, JoeDavola said:

7 mins in and I'm thinking they're pompous twats, using fake stuttering and big words to attempt to sound considered and intelligent. Mentioning some Somerset Maugham book and other things while stroking each others ego. Making out they understand all sorts of "great art" and pretending acting matters more than it does.....

Wankers, who aren't as intelligent as they want to be, and who are WAAAAY less intelligent than what they're (for some reason) desperately trying to portray. 

Still on in the background, the black guy has just mentioned Susan Sontag FFS! Not even in a negative way either....

"Your so English" said the white twat earlier, God- PC ninnies!!!! 

Edited by Carl Fimble
Aaaargh, it's still playing away

5 minutes ago, Virgil Caine said:

The sort of people who are always on the media spouting about something that’s in the media. Self indulgent, incestuous and up their own arses.

Yes I thought I would reply to your comment as it exactly frames what I would have tried to say myself. To me the big indicator is their constant smiles at nothing and sometimes outright laughter at something which isn't funny. What they mean is that they live in a different world above ours and in their universe whatever they just said IS funny and nuanced. Unfortunately, plebs cannot be expected to catch their drift. 

The clean shaven one does have a nice speaking voice though he would be good for audio books or something like that. 

7 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

Some of his criticism of crony capitalism does have a point but - especially on stuff regarding multiculturalism and integration - the man is catastrophically full of shit.

My issue with Brand is that I think he does whatever he thinks will further his career and boost his profile at that point in time.

So you have outrageous druggie young brand (e.g. I saw footage of him actually pissing his pants on camera in an early TV bit), you the have ladies man shagaholic 30-something band, and now you have pseudo-iltellectual 40-something brand.

I just think beneath it all is essentially a soulless narcissist who cares most of all about the attention of others, regardless of how he gets it.

Edited by JoeDavola

39 minutes ago, Virgil Caine said:

The sort of people who are always on the media spouting about something that’s in the media.

This is one of several conclusions I think I'm drawing from this - that most of the mainstream media and the people in it are best avoided.

To be honest my personal dislike of Russell Brand did not come into play in my decision to switch the clip off half way through. I just just found the content indistinguishable from a hundred other such discussions of the sort Radio 4 uses to pad out its schedule. My eyes simply glazed over from boredom as nothing really interesting was said. Sadly the fact that someone may or may not have a modicum of talent for something such as acting or standup comedy does not make you an intellectual giant whose opinions on art or anything else is worth 30 minutes of anyone’s time.

49 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

7 mins in and I'm thinking they're pompous twats, using fake stuttering and big words to attempt to sound considered and intelligent. Mentioning some Somerset Maugham book and other things while stroking each others ego. Making out they understand all sorts of "great art" and pretending acting matters more than it does.....

Wankers, who aren't as intelligent as they want to be, and who are WAAAAY less intelligent than what they're (for some reason) desperately trying to portray. 

Still on in the background, the black guy has just mentioned Susan Sontag FFS! Not even in a negative way either....

"Your so English" said the white twat earlier, God- PC ninnies!!!! 

I was hoping you'd reply Carl, as a Jordan Peterson cynic.

I also dislike hero worship in any shape or form. You can be an expert on something without having to be smug about it. You can have people who appreciate your work without brown-nosing to you like those in the comment section of the brand video did.

Peterson gets a bit too smug for me sometimes, and of course there was his daughter's attempt to build a THOT career built on her Dad's name and some insagram underwear pics - charging people big money to talk to her on skype about eating meat.

Overall I'm still struggling to put into words what I really dislike about people like this, but I know that the clip above is a good example of it. Perhaps ego is the right word?

Here's a good counter-example however; the video I was watching before the twat above was recommended - this is Rick Beato, a wonderful muscian and producer with decades of experience talking about the guitar. Even if you know nothing about the guitar you can tell that this person isn't looking to inflate his ego, he's just an actual expert sharing knowledge:

Edited by JoeDavola

1 minute ago, JoeDavola said:

This is one of several conclusions I think I'm drawing from this - that most of the mainstream media and the people in it are best avoided.

TMT had a theory about where all the SJWness in the media came from. He was telling me about how, especially during Blair's reign, everything became centralised. No more regional decisions & opinions, everything came for a central point, which essentially means a London central point. So all of your programmes, all of your news, all of your comedy, all of your entertainment (basically) is now London focused. So you end up with a tiny section of our society influencing our culture and lives. I guess that makes them feel so morally and intellectually superior to the plebs even though they didn't get their position due to talent - just going to the right school/uni/who Daddy is mates with is enough in their little bubble. No wonder they hate alt-tech so much as it allows ordinary people the chance to showcase their talent that they'd never get in the modern, elistest mainstream.

If they were so smart, they'd realise that they're actual frauds.

2 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Here's a good counter-example however; the video I was watching before the twat above was recommended - this is Rick Beato, a wonderful muscian and producer with decades of experience talking about the guitar. Even if you know nothing about the guitar you can tell that this person isn't looking to inflate his ego, he's just an actual expert sharing knowledge:

Completely agree. There are loads of people like this in that sphere - humble, knowledgeable and know their limits. Adam Neely terrifies me.