• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

MrPin

What the fuck is "Trustpilot"?

It has its uses. You get an idea of how good a company is. I was only reading it this morning re a bike shop I had not used. There were mostly good reviews but the bad ones seem to be from people with unrealistic expectations - i.e. a bloke who ordered a new bike late afternoon and then complained that it was not delivered the following day. That kind of thing.

Wait till you find the trustpilot page for yourself.

Yes. Providing that bloke was called Xi and his experience was 'most appreciatively kindly'

I find google map reviews are the ones to go on as invariably that's how people have found it in the first place.

Edited by honkydonkey

6 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Is it any more reliable than "some bloke on a bus told me"? Discuss.

I don't know about Trustpilot, but a very similar ranking service was easily gamed. The company paying for its SEO capabilities could happily delete any poor reviews as "outliers". 

In the land of social media twats, the one-eyed cock monster is king.

6 minutes ago, Ponty Mython said:

I don't know about Trustpilot, but a very similar ranking service was easily gamed. The company paying for its SEO capabilities could happily delete any poor reviews as "outliers". 

In the land of social media twats, the one-eyed cock monster is king.

Yes, I think it's a scam.

As a member of the public you can write reviews about companies' products and services.

As a company you can sign up to be able to reply to those reviews. You're not supposed to be able to remove or edit any of the reviews.

Often, people receive an email from the company providing the product or service inviting them to review on Trustpilot and/or a number of other review sites. Our e-commerce kit can do this (send a follow-up email a few days later).

Trustpilot really, really want companies to sign up and use them to send the "please review" notifications and if you're a small trader with limited IT capability then this may well be worthwhile. They contact one of my clients every few months to "offer" a package with capabilities their own site has. And to suggest that if the client paid what is actually a rather large sum the client may then place the "Trustpilot widget" on their site - the little graphical box with the star rating and the TrustPilot logo.

You can also send them a list of back-customers and they'll send the invites to those too, thus establishing a healthy looking profile from nothing instead of waiting for it to grow organically over time. Of course the retailer can subtract any from that list which are not likely to result in favourable reviews. This is why, as people have noticed, a company can suddenly gain 1,000 reviews in an incredibly short space of time.

Also, with busier companies, a string of bad reviews can be buried not by any slight-of-hand but simply because the most recent are shown first. So a company can have a shocking period of service but if it has thousands of reviews this will barely drag down the overall rating and those may be found on e.g. page 17.

All of these independent sites can be "rigged" to some extent but if you pick some companies whose reviews are bound to be crap - people like EE, Talk Talk, BT - I haven't looked: but I'll bet they're not 5-star rated.

4 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

There are so many new internet things that are just the same old shite...

XYY

Yes, If I bumped into Jesus, or some othe prophet, with a good connection with God, I might just listen the their advice, but some random noise on the (probably paid for) internet, is not serious.

Ive only had one dealing with this company - about a year ago I tried to buy a laptop for my daughter from a big online supplier. After about a month of fucking about and them not delivering, one of their people let slip on a call that they didnt actually have that laptop and were essentially strining me along for reasons unknown (possibly so they could have nearly a grand of my credit card company's money sitting in their account). At which point I cancelled the order and bought a similar one from another supplier - it arrived two days later. I then left a very damning but completely factual and detailed review on Trustpilot. Which was then blocked by the original not-vendor, who claimed I had never been a customer of theirs (it was the third or fourth time I had done business with them and had an account). This got my back up even more so I sent a full wodge of documentation to Trustpilot to prove my review, who then grudgingly published my review, which was then instantly buried and unfindable.

Waste of fucking time. Like the would be PC vendor.

Edited by Melchett

Trustpilot I get, like all review sites it's completely broken. Tripadvisor is another one. 

What I dont get is Defaqto. What the fuck is a Defaqto 5 star rating that all insurance companies seem to harp on about?

Edited by Roger_Mellie

27 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

Trustpilot I get, like all review sites it's completely broken. Tripadvisor is another one. 

What I dont get is Defaqto. What the fuck is a Defaqto 5 star rating that all insurance companies seem to harp on about?

They seem to be a company, that from the goodness of their hearts are trawling through all the financial products and rating them for us.

I haven't paid towards this service, so I wonder who is....hmmmmm.

TrustPilot is a load of toss. There appear to be 2 types of companies on it:

1. Those who aren't aware they're on it, and attract only negative reviews because 99.99% of customers don't leave positive reviews, it's only when things go wrong.

2. Large companies paying £2-20k a month to TrustPilot to send "follow up" emails asking them to leave a review. Invariably these emails will have been sent a few minutes after ordering, so essentially these people are just reviewing the checkout process which is completely pointless. Proper review companies like Feefo and Reviews.co.uk (both British companies BTW unlike TrustPilot) allow a minimum time period of a few weeks before sending out their requests to leave a review.

Edited by spunko

I had a one man war with these idiots re: my power company a year ago.

To keep your rating high you have to keep logging on and up rating yours and others that are in line.

If you mention that youu wouldnt be surprised about a positive comment against your view..they keep quiet for a week or two...and then when your bored... up rate any positive comment in their favor and the company.

Eventually..after a month...i stopped checking..x mas I logged on and they had placed their...why dont you contact us bit...and all positive comments in the companies favor.....vague and diffuse were up rated. Often the positive comments were short and of very dubious grammar.

I mentioned this last bit and they were quiet. Nordic based. Sham. Paid for positives and appears to correlate with vague google positive reviews.

You get what you pay for😎. Barge pole trust worthiness.

Edited by The Grey Man
Missing info

4 hours ago, The Grey Man said:

I had a one man war with these idiots re: my power company a year ago.

To keep your rating high you have to keep logging on and up rating yours and others that are in line.

If you mention that youu wouldnt be surprised about a positive comment against your view..they keep quiet for a week or two...and then when your bored... up rate any positive comment in their favor and the company.

Eventually..after a month...i stopped checking..x mas I logged on and they had placed their...why dont you contact us bit...and all positive comments in the companies favor.....vague and diffuse were up rated. Often the positive comments were short and of very dubious grammar.

I mentioned this last bit and they were quiet. Nordic based. Sham. Paid for positives and appears to correlate with vague google positive reviews.

You get what you pay for😎. Barge pole trust worthiness.

Not. A. Fucking. Danny.