DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Eden Project / Cornwall ideas

spunko

I'm going to the Eden Project shortly and staying overnight, I am tempted to stay for a couple more nights now though, and tour Cornwall as it's quieter. Have any DOSBODers got any recommendations where to stay or what to do please, for a lone traveler, and what areas to avoid?

Haven't been to Cornwall for at least 10 years so a bit rusty.

Never heard of it.

Yes, definitely worth a visit.

There's the old mining buildings at Botallack and St Agnes if you like your Poldark; plus of course Charlestown harbour near St Austell which has been in everything from the Onedin line on.

Coastal walks aplenty but usually very up and down.  Nice short ones are Minions / Hurlers / Cheesewring Bodmin Moor, woods at Tehidy (Portreath), Cardinham (Bodmin) or Golitha Falls which is the fast headwaters of the river Fowey on the way to Minions and is also a woodland walk.  Good if slightly long walk around the impressive Loe Pool at the seaward side of Helston.  Best pure coastal maybe south from Lands End, Lelant to St Ives and back (nb - this is the only way I would considering visiting St Ives - do not drive there or park there or you will regret it and it's not that great anyway) or Penzance to St Michaels Mount and back or Penzance to Mousehole and back.

Wandering around towns on wetter days: Penzance, Falmouth, or Truro. Or even Plymouth if you're in the east of the county.  The area around Sutton Harbour (the Barbican) and then up past the Citadel to the Hoe is impressive.

The Liskeard to Looe branch line is great if you like a lovely old train journey through the country and by a river and Looe is anywayworth a couple of hours wandering around.

As to where to stay well I don't stay in many places in Cornwall, owing to living there, but the best place I have stayed is the Dolphin Inn in Penzance.

Three or four rooms above a quiet pub with decent food and frienldy owners right by the harbour so that there are actually stones rattling it during storms.  Plus ghosts apparently.  £70 per night but you'll need to buy your breakfast.  No parking but loads just over the road outside of summer.

http://www.dolphintavern.co.uk/rooms.php

These vouchers are genunely half price but are usually starting as doubles.

https://www.piratefm.co.uk/shop/vouchers/half-price-hotel-stays/

As to avoid: well nowhere is really that rough; I presume that you weren't planning on hanging around council estates at two in the morning anwyay.  The inland towns and villages are generally down at heel and you'll wonder why you bothered.

Here is our ruler the Kernow King to give you a brief summary:

@Frank Hovis

That's interesting thanks. Watching that video now and wondering - is that a genuine Cornish accent? Doesn't sound anything like the Farmer Jones / Bristol type accent you hear on Poldark. To me he sounds slightly Irish.

4 minutes ago, spunko said:

@Frank Hovis

That's interesting thanks. Watching that video now and wondering - is that a genuine Cornish accent? Doesn't sound anything like the Farmer Jones / Bristol type accent you hear on Poldark. To me he sounds slightly Irish.

Absolutely that's the proper Cornish accent.  It's very different to Somerset; often higher pitched and quicker with the typical word being "bleddy" which isn't something I hear elsewhere.

I haven't seen Poldark for years but from what I recall it was generic west country rather than Cornwall.

I don't have it owing to my having lived all over the south of England; people tend to assume that I'm a tourist.

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

Absolutely that's the proper Cornish accent.  It's very different to Somerset; often higher pitched and quicker with the typical word being "bleddy" which isn't something I hear elsewhere.

I haven't seen Poldark for years but from what I recall it was generic west country rather than Cornwall.

Poldark, and the same with that Martin Clunes crap, is all in the familiar "alright moi luverr" stereotypical nonsense. 

EG:

7 minutes ago, spunko said:

Poldark, and the same with that Martin Clunes crap, is all in the familiar "alright moi luverr" stereotypical nonsense. 

EG:

:D

She sounds more like Gloucestershire to my practised ear; I don't know where he's meant to come from - non-specific posh south central England.

If you're staying over at Eden check out the east, often untouched, less touristy, the areas east of Fowey to Looe (excluding Looe) are spectacular. Polperro, tallant bay, lantic bay. Polperro is great for some music and real country pubs in an typical cornish fishing village. 

Day trip to Scilly Isles from Penzance  if weather is good and sea calm - crossing on Scillionian just over £50, can fly from various locations for just over £100. Magic place.

On 17/09/2019 at 18:23, Green Devil said:

If you're staying over at Eden check out the east, often untouched, less touristy, the areas east of Fowey to Looe (excluding Looe) are spectacular. Polperro, tallant bay, lantic bay. Polperro is great for some music and real country pubs in an typical cornish fishing village. 

Thanks. Looe looks okay on Streetview though... ?

https://goo.gl/maps/nTrZcC6UWsRiPF8Q6

On 17/09/2019 at 13:10, spunko said:

I'm going to the Eden Project shortly and staying overnight, I am tempted to stay for a couple more nights now though, and tour Cornwall as it's quieter. Have any DOSBODers got any recommendations where to stay or what to do please, for a lone traveler, and what areas to avoid?

Haven't been to Cornwall for at least 10 years so a bit rusty.

Visit Frank, and maybe even get a shot of his truck?

Archived