• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

201p

Global Internet Image Take down

It looks like free image hosting took a knock. I see these images everywhere at the moment across websites. It looks like you're going to have to upgrade.

Untitled.png

-----

"The only way to get your images to show up again is to pay P********** $400, upfront, as an annual subscription to its most expensive plan. "

More info at

Edited by 201p

Photobucket seems to have been in a state of collapse for some time. When I've tried to use it, on multiple occasions, it runs miserably slowly, breaking all over the place.

No way to monetise = death of free services.

Meanwhile once decent sites now drown in self-starting video clips that you don't want to watch and huge animated advertising pop ups.

I think the internet peaked about 2010 and is just going to get steadily worse.

A good example was ToS where for years it was very keen to attract users and content but now sees them as a cost and inconvenience.  The cost of the football forum I help run has gone up steadily.

All good news for Facebook but for me it means a lot less "surfing the net" than I used to do as the apparently limitless number of interesting sites set up by enthusiastic amateurs have dwindled markedly. It's so much easier just to start a group on Facebook and post memes. 

Advertising is actively ruining the net, some local news websites are hilariously unuseable and ToS was all to cock because of badly configured adverts. It actively works against itself because when a site becomes inundated with ads to the point of tedium, nobody is going to use it.

No traffic.

No customers.

Idiocy.

Photobucket is fucked, I don't see too many people parting with that sort of wodge to use it. Pro's maybe, but not many others.

Image hosting is very difficult to make money with, as most people link to the image directly and skip out the site's adverts. Imgur has become the number 1 image hosting site because it doesn't bother its users like this, generally.

Amazon and eBay images broken by Photobucket's 'ransom demand'

1 hour ago

Thousands of images promoting goods sold on Amazon and other shopping sites have been removed after a photo-sharing service changed its terms.

Ebay and Etsy have also been affected, in addition to many forums and blogs.

The problem has been caused by Photobucket introducing a charge for allowing images hosted on its platform to be embedded into third-party sites.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-40492668

Moving mainstream - a lot of people are scratching their heads.

A key part of my business is design and construct (turnkey) of datacenters.

They are very expensive.

A lot of our business processes use free  to use stuff that is heavy on internet infrastructure, such as Line, Viber, Dropbox, etc.

I realise that this is a paradox. And unsustainable.

New normal will be people actually having to pay for their data usage. Otherwise everyone goes broke.

The golden age of the internet died when Facebook gained serious traction in ?2010.

It turned it from a genuinely social platform of hobbies, knowledge and enthusiasm with separate explicitly money making enterprises into a corralled and monetised users as consumers model; like XFactor in cyberspace.

There remain islands of the old internet such as Dosbods Island.