• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

Fucking Royal Mail

So, sent my hairdressing scissors off to get sharpened. 400 quids worth.  Went to post office, said I wanted them insuring due to value. Said, use next day and they are insured up to 5k.  Ok, said I and posted them. 

Twats have lost them, they never arrived at the sharpeners. 

So tried to claim last week.  Hadn’t left enough time. So went back to post office. They just shrugged, not our problem gov. Then changed tune as to insurance, now only 500.  Will still cover it but I’m not convinced they will cover the cost of the items now. 

Just completed the claim form online. Twats want 30 days to investigate and will then write to me with their decision. WTF. YOU FUCKING LOST THEM. WHAT FUCKING DECISION IS THERE TO BE MADE. 

Incadescent doesn’t begin to describe how I feel.  High handed twats. 

Oh and they said they would email confirmation of my claim. They haven’t. 

Twats. 

I think you can see the digital signature on the RM website. I sent a important document to HMRC, and was able to see the signature online.

The 30 days may give enough time for the item to randomly turn up.

Good luck. 

3 minutes ago, 201p said:

I think you can see the digital signature on the RM website. I sent a important document to HMRC, and was able to see the signature online.

The 30 days may give enough time for the item to randomly turn up.

Good luck. 

It was sent from my area to the sorting office near the recipient on Tuesday of last week.  Has not moved from there. 

Twats. 

8 minutes ago, One percent said:

So, sent my hairdressing scissors off to get sharpened. 400 quids worth.  Went to post office, said I wanted them insuring due to value. Said, use next day and they are insured up to 5k.  Ok, said I and posted them. 

So tried to claim last week.  Hadn’t left enough time. So went back to post office. They just shrugged, not our problem gov. Then changed tune as to insurance, now only 500.  Will still cover it but I’m not convinced they will cover the cost of the items now. 

Just completed the claim form online. Twats want 30 days to investigate and will then write to me with their decision. WTF. YOU FUCKING LOST THEM. WHAT FUCKING DECISION IS THERE TO BE MADE. 

Twats. 

I was astonished when I first learnt how much hairdressers paid for scissors.

But then I realised - it is your main tool of the trade, in constant use, and you would want the weight and balance and action to be perfect. The slightest defect you would feel on every snip, and be very irritating.

9 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

I was astonished when I first learnt how much hairdressers paid for scissors.

But then I realised - it is your main tool of the trade, in constant use, and you would want the weight and balance and action to be perfect. The slightest defect you would feel on every snip, and be very irritating.

Yep.  They are incredibly good though. I won’t use cheap scissors. It was 37 quid to just get them sharpened. 

20 minutes ago, One percent said:

Twats. 

The insurance is only £500 unless you purchase consequential loss insurance.

They should be able to pinpoint where they have gone missing as Special Deliveries are kept separate from the normal Mail at all times and it is taken very seriously if one goes missing.

3 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Does insuring something for a load of money make it more likely for a parcel to go missing?

There is no indication to the value of a parcel. 

It is very rare for one to go missing.

3 minutes ago, One percent said:

Yep.  They are incredibly good though. I won’t use cheap scissors. It was 37 quid to just get them sharpened. 

OT (sorry about your loss, yadda yadda), but do you know of the best way to get a knife sharpened without spending a fortune? I have a couple of good kitchen knives that I used to sharpen myself, but don't have the time these days. I forgot to ask last time I was at the barbers, but had asumed that they would send them away, thought it would be the same for restaurants and kitchen knives but Google hasn't been much help...

3 minutes ago, LC1 said:

OT (sorry about your loss, yadda yadda), but do you know of the best way to get a knife sharpened without spending a fortune? I have a couple of good kitchen knives that I used to sharpen myself, but don't have the time these days. I forgot to ask last time I was at the barbers, but had asumed that they would send them away, thought it would be the same for restaurants and kitchen knives but Google hasn't been much help...

Make a pyramid out of tinfoil?

I remember a gypsy used to call round to my Nan's house with a sharpening wheel and do all the knives and scissors. Thinking back, looked like a great way to bugger up a decent blade in no time, but I had imagined that a more high-tech mobile sharpening service might find a decent enough customer base?

I read somewhere that lots of new knives can't be sharpened. That you wreck them if you try.

Youtube has something like ninety zillion and three videos on how to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+to+sharpen+a+knife

I suspect the best way is to hunt out an old ironmonger or some blokes with a shed and a load of eletrical tools inside.

36 minutes ago, LC1 said:

I took a guillotine to an old school place in Barnard Castle with a big "WE SHARPEN ANYTHING!!" sign outside.

They couldn't sharpen it.

20 minutes ago, 201p said:

You can get a grindstone that you can fit on a handheld drill - good for lawnmower blades, not sure about scissors. 

Can very quickly bugger up a blade with anything motorised. Simple oil stone is probably the way to go for knives.

16 minutes ago, LC1 said:

Sharpen them yourself. :)  it’s a five minute job three to four times a year. Then use a steel to keep your edge every time you use them. 

2 minutes ago, onlyme said:

Can very quickly bugger up a blade with anything motorised. Simple oil stone is probably the way to go for knives.

Whetstone. 

I got this 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01GYZOR3K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

bloody brilliant 

1 minute ago, One percent said:

Sharpen them yourself. :)  it’s a five minute job three to four times a year. Then use a steel to keep your edge every time you use them. 

One place I worked, the steel had been so overused that it started to disintegrate. We found out when customers started complaining about iron filings in the food. 

1 hour ago, One percent said:

Think outside the box. Use cheap scissors but find more customers such as myself who only have cheap hair ✂ 

1 hour ago, One percent said:

Whetstone. 

I got this 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01GYZOR3K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

bloody brilliant 

Yep that's the one, use with oil or water, the nuts and much more forgiving if you get a couple of strokes wrong.

2 hours ago, One percent said:

You're a hairdresser?

Edited by JackieO