• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
MrPin

Mad job suggestions

And here's my reply.

I'm a competent C/C++ programmer/engineer. I have recently been working in defence.

I have no desire to go to Belgium, or work on such lunacy as a riderless motorcycle.

MrPin

4 minutes ago, MrPin said:

And here's my reply.

I'm a competent C/C++ programmer/engineer. I have recently been working in defence.

I have no desire to go to Belgium, or work on such lunacy as a riderless motorcycle.

MrPin

?

12 minutes ago, MrPin said:

And here's my reply.

MrPin

Move to Belfast and rent your gaff in England out while you're gone. Relatively low cost of living here. Here's a couple of C++ jobs:

https://www.nijobs.com/Senior-Software-Developer-C-Job-1438623.aspx

https://www.nijobs.com/Technical-lead-C-Job-1437088.aspx

2 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Move to Belfast and rent your gaff in England out while you're gone. Relatively low cost of living here. Here's a couple of C++ jobs:

https://www.nijobs.com/Senior-Software-Developer-C-Job-1438623.aspx

https://www.nijobs.com/Technical-lead-C-Job-1437088.aspx

Thanks Joe. I've never. been to Ireland. I'll be the Catholic Jew on a big motorcycle, with a guitar on the back. You can't really miss me.

Here's a contract paying up to £90K:

https://www.nijobs.com/C-Developer-Contract-Belfast-Job-1441043.aspx

Just now, MrPin said:

Thanks Joe. I've never. been to Ireland. I'll be the Catholic Jew on a big motorcycle, with a guitar on the back. You can't really miss me.

I'm being serious, there's tons of IT jobs here and the kids generally don't use C++ nowadays so you'll have less competition. You'd walk into a job here.

On 23/09/2019 at 19:22, JoeDavola said:

Here's a contract paying up to £90K:

https://www.nijobs.com/C-Developer-Contract-Belfast-Job-1441043.aspx

I'm being serious, there's tons of IT jobs here and the kids generally don't use C++ nowadays so you'll have less competition. You'd walk into a job here.

That does seem overly generous but it's a 6 month term. In the SE you'd earn less. 

Saying that it does say other languages required - wonder which. 

5 minutes ago, spunko said:

That does seem overly generous but it's a 6 month term. In the SE you'd earn less. 

Saying that it does say other languages required - wonder which. 

Principal Engineer permies are getting 60K at the moment, so 80-90K per year contract rates doesn't seem a massive jump.

Yes many IT job adverts are very vague.

And I've found yet another ideal Belfast job @MrPin, you say you've been working in defence doing C/C++.....well here's a defence company looking a C/C++ person:

https://jobs.thalesgroup.com/job/belfast/embedded-software-engineer/1766/12634370

Edited by JoeDavola

Bugger C/C++, can anybody write a simple G Code script for me? All I want to CNC is a 67mm square of 3mm thick material with a 40mm diameter hole in the middle.

I've been giving it some minutes every day for a few weeks and everything goes whoosh over my head.

2 minutes ago, jm51 said:

Bugger C/C++, can anybody write a simple G Code script for me? All I want to CNC is a 67mm square of 3mm thick material with a 40mm diameter hole in the middle.

I've been giving it some minutes every day for a few weeks and everything goes whoosh over my head.

Which g number?

13 minutes ago, jm51 said:

OpenSCAD is free and easy to use, then pass the generated code through a separate viewer to double check. Are you doing the CNCing yourself or passing over to fabricators?

Ah, just seen your response.

Mach3, you could skip the GCODE entirely and use the internal functions that can be used to cut arcs/circles/squares etc and do it step by step.  

Edited by onlyme

Doing it myself. I have a Zenbot 1216 that has gathered dust for way too long and an old photographic enlarger that needs some lens boards.

I have Vetric 2D but after a month of getting nowhere I started looking at G Code.

I used  OpenSCAD for riprap and have used Fusion360 for driving a no-name frankenstein milling machine, there's lots of setup but it did work once all the axes/scaling/feedrates was sorted and passed back to Fusion. Steep learning curve with Fusion and did find some aspects troublesome but probably worth the investment in time. First though you need to do some really basic stuff and check calibration of axes/movement, proper XYZ travel etc.

Any specific bits that are causing a problem?

1 hour ago, jm51 said:

Doing it myself. I have a Zenbot 1216 that has gathered dust for way too long and an old photographic enlarger that needs some lens boards.

I have Vetric 2D but after a month of getting nowhere I started looking at G Code.

There's  a document here going through setting up Fusion 360 for your machine. Des[ite the learning curve think this would be a good way to go, Fusion is free and one of the market leaders so will stay updated and a walkthrough like the below (especially one for your specific machine) will get you up and running in much shorter time and there is a massive amount of resources out there for supporting both Fusion 360 on its own and using Fusion with Mach 3.

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1RyhnYBv4oSVM2NuxpzXob8dfQgRuYPCD4BOB0Kji7lk/edit#slide=id.g2ee3473d27_0_580

17 hours ago, Horrified Onlooker said:

Can this C/C++ be blagged easily?

Asking for a friend :ph34r:

If the interviewer is remotely competent then pretty much impossible to blag either of those even if you’re a good coder in another language. If you’re not a coder at all, then your first day at work would be like walking into a operating theatre with no medical knowledge and being handed a bone saw to apply to an unconscious patient’s head.

On 25/09/2019 at 13:37, onlyme said:

I used  OpenSCAD for riprap and have used Fusion360 for driving a no-name frankenstein milling machine, there's lots of setup but it did work once all the axes/scaling/feedrates was sorted and passed back to Fusion. Steep learning curve with Fusion and did find some aspects troublesome but probably worth the investment in time. First though you need to do some really basic stuff and check calibration of axes/movement, proper XYZ travel etc.

Any specific bits that are causing a problem?

All of them. :)

It's old software and the new stuff has features not on mine. I found a Vetric Cut 2D tutorial for V1 which has helped. (Mine is V1.1.)

I've now learned the difference between pockets and profiles. I'm going to stay with it until I get results worth having. It's too useful a machine for me to be so ignorant on how to use it.

On 25/09/2019 at 13:13, jm51 said:

3D printing?... if the loads and temps aren't too high.