• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
JoeDavola

Luxury Apartment Living in Belfast

In 2008 just as the property market crashed, a block of 90 apartments above a shopping centre in Belfast were completed - the development is called Victoria Square and here's the apartments:

https://www.instantstreetview.com/@54.597503,-5.926568,56.13h,30.42p,1z

None of them sold for years with the market crashed, and I believe lots of them ended up as social housing. However Belfast has a short memory and here's the Belfast telegraph in 2017 informing it's readers of their chance to buy an apartment in the block for £180K:

https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/belfast-news/fancy-living-belfasts-victoria-square-12419424

....fast forward to April of this year, a load of apartments had to be evacuated, when the walls of some of the apartments fucking imploded:

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/victoria-square-apartment-repairs-to-cost-hundreds-of-thousands-after-steel-girder-appeared-through-wall-38006716.html

.....£910K was spent, £10K per apartment, to fix the problems, and there was rumors last week that things were even worse than expected:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-49772639

which leads us to this twitter thread from yesterday:

To summarize:

• 4 apartments had their interior walls burst inwards last year
  • all 91 apartments evacuated
  • £910K repair work involved tests carried out that showed there is a 'catastrophic failure' in all support colums in the structure
  • the entire block is now being shut down on health and safety grounds, the flats are now worthless
  • management company has no funds to repair it

Ouch.

But for some reason, there's been no press releases about this....is it being suppressed so that footfall in the shopping centre beneath it doesn't drop?

Edited by JoeDavola

8 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I think this underlines the standard guidance:

Flats are for renting only for a variety of reasons including the above.

If you're going to buy it has to be a house; ideally detached.

There's no need for that to be the case. A question of standards and imposing/applying the law correctly.

The builders would be pursued and imprisoned (or even executed - China) in many countries for work like that.

But the UK is like a banana republic, the building/land cartel are neck deep in with political donations and lobbyists, do wtf they want and are never punished, so your advice, which should not be valid, is correct.

I think it's worth checking out an aerial view to appreciate just how big this development is - it's one of the biggest developments in the city centre.

I've heard of problems, mostly financial irregularities and bad upkeep of communal areas, with most blocks in Belfast.

Ironically I'd have thought this was a much safer block as it's part of a larger commerical property development so I'd have assumed it was built to an extra-high standard.

image.thumb.png.8a86462181ec517e47de5f517c48fb6e.png

1 hour ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

But the UK is like a banana republic, the building/land cartel are neck deep in with political donations and lobbyists, do wtf they want and are never punished, so your advice, which should not be valid, is correct.

Well yes, there's tons of horror stories of NI newbuild houses over the last 5 years, and that's before you take into account how pokey and squashed together they are.

Heard a story the other day about some newbuild where they plastered the place before they put the windows in or something, and damp got in under the plastering so it all had to be ripped out and re-done after the owners had moved in.

There's a real shortage of housing that would actually be pleasent to live in. In a country where it's dark and wet for most of the year. Most of what's on the market is older houses in poor repair, or newbuild shoeboxes.

Edited by JoeDavola

A garden IMPO is a must, I have lived (rented) 4 flats sorry apartments, at both ends of the scale, but sitting in your garden having a BBQ or listening to the birds should be a basic human right.

Plus, you learn more DIY. It's not like you can fix the roof or the guttering or the drains, in an apartment complex.

3 minutes ago, spunko said:

A garden IMPO is a must, I have lived (rented) 4 flats sorry apartments, at both ends of the scale, but sitting in your garden having a BBQ or listening to the birds should be a basic human right.

Plus, you learn more DIY. It's not like you can fix the roof or the guttering or the drains, in an apartment complex.

I'm not so keen on gardening, and a paved yard is enough for me. Appartments, for purchasing are out, apart from very posh areas I can't afford.

2 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

If you're going to buy it has to be a house; ideally detached.

I'm coming round to the idea that it might be worth my while stretching myself financially and moving a bit further out from the city in order to get myself a (small) detached house rather than a semi.

Edited by JoeDavola

Just now, JoeDavola said:

I'm coming round to the idea that it might be worth my while stretching myself financially and moving a bit further out from the city in order to get myself a (small) detached house rather than a semi.

Yow posh yoof! now you say you don't drive, and transport is the problem. Maybe it's time to have driving lessons, or I believe you may have lovely weather for motorcycling up there.

Just now, MrPin said:

Yow posh yoof! now you say you don't drive, and transport is the problem. Maybe it's time to have driving lessons, or I believe you may have lovely weather for motorcycling up there.

Transport is the problem - I'm concentrating on houses near the train or bus route. Besides I can't afford one of these big houses AND a fucking car!

Just now, JoeDavola said:

Transport is the problem - I'm concentrating on houses near the train or bus route. Besides I can't afford one of these big houses AND a fucking car!

Don't underestimate the cost of Pin motoring. I'll drive any old shed which goes. Still I had a house in Bristol, which was an inconvenient distance from the station.

2 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Don't underestimate the cost of Pin motoring. I'll drive any old shed which goes. Still I had a house in Bristol, which was an inconvenient distance from the station.

You've never owned a Bristol though?

1 minute ago, JoeDavola said:

Says the chap with cash to buy outright who saves a huge amount a month - which would become a larger amount if no rent was paid. 

Bit like you can't afford a cleaner, still chuckling over that one. 9_9 

Extreme miserly behaviour is good only for the bank account. 

You and Frank should buy a mountain with a palace on it together and pretend to be like two Smaugs sleeping on a hoard of gold....

Image result for Smaug asleep

35 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Yes of course, just winding Joe and Frank up a bit. :P

I'll let you off. This time.

It's more that I don't spend money attritionally. 

How many times do you hear grown adults say "I don't know where my money goes" or when there's a Christmas meal payment due at work "I don't carry money because I'd spend it"? 

These are adults; I was like that when I was ten - if I had money, I spent it, mainly on sweets - but I grew up and they didn't.  Even worse these are adults who work in finance.

I dropped £2k on one week's holiday last Christmas, when I go to the US I hire a big car not a compact. Holiday hotels are five star. I buy things that improve my experiences; I don't throw it away on takeaway coffee and buns, takeaway pizzas or curries, taxis, pay TV (or any TV), the latest iPhone that does nothing more than my free phone, or (and this is the big one) servicing debts.

I don't regard myself as cheap or mean - meals out with friends or family I often either pay for all or get the drinks in which will be more than my meal - but decades of not wasting money does make a massive difference to one's financial position.

I genuinely find it frustrating when friends or colleagues, especially ones who earn more than me, talk about their financial troubles or being a bit skint. I want to shake them and shout "What are you doing?".  This btw very much includes single people.