DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Replacing light fitting

spunko

Question

Please assume I know nothing about electricity (which is true).

I want to replace this  external PIR light fitting, unfortunately the last electrician thought he knew best and installed one without replaceable bulb, so I need to replace the entire unit. Luckily, replacement was free as Luceco offer a 3 year guarantee. Anyway, I don't have a clue how to install it "like for like".  How do you connect the wires, is there some easy way to do it?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/luceco-guardian-led-floodlight-pir-white-15w-warm-white/4742v

You can see in the photos they give you a short length of each.

4742V_P&$prodImageMedium$

I was going to wait as I have electrician round in a few weeks anyway, but the pikeys last night have forced my hand (see other thread).

4 answers to this question

Pretty straightforward to do. The PIR bit will be pre-wired in the unit you only need to reconnect the existing cable to the light unit via a sealing gland - 3 connection Live, Neutral, Earth which should bemire internally and confirmed on fitting  instructions. Earth in T&E cable is unsheathed, ideally it should have some sleeving added, if not just tape over with insulation tape any exposed earth cable. If the cable is short make sure you check the mounting point so that the unit can tilt to the required angle (a very short tail of cable will sometimes prevent this if mounted in the wrong position). Ideally you want the cable to loop down and back up into the light housing so that water is not directed into the cable gland. 

Above all else make sure you have isolated the light by flicking off the associated breaker, if in doubt turn off the main switch. Most dangerous part is using the ladder.

Can be a faff with setting the sensitivity / day / night time settings, this is easier to do on the ground with instructions in front of you.

8 hours ago, onlyme said:

Pretty straightforward to do. The PIR bit will be pre-wired in the unit you only need to reconnect the existing cable to the light unit via a sealing gland - 3 connection Live, Neutral, Earth which should bemire internally and confirmed on fitting  instructions. Earth in T&E cable is unsheathed, ideally it should have some sleeving added, if not just tape over with insulation tape any exposed earth cable. If the cable is short make sure you check the mounting point so that the unit can tilt to the required angle (a very short tail of cable will sometimes prevent this if mounted in the wrong position). Ideally you want the cable to loop down and back up into the light housing so that water is not directed into the cable gland. 

Above all else make sure you have isolated the light by flicking off the associated breaker, if in doubt turn off the main switch. Most dangerous part is using the ladder.

Can be a faff with setting the sensitivity / day / night time settings, this is easier to do on the ground with instructions in front of you.

Thanks. Is the sealing gland normally provided? Because, I cannot find one in the box :S

1 hour ago, spunko said:

Thanks. Is the sealing gland normally provided? Because, I cannot find one in the box :S

Should be integral with the light fitting at the cable entry point, hex hut  with a rubber bung that the cable goes through, as it tightens up the bung tightens and seals round the cable.

Ah, see source of confusion - you have a light with integrated cable pigtail - a lot are sold with no cable and you fit the house lighting cable into the light fitting, should have looked at the pic you posted.

Different procedure here - if your your existing light has a pigtail like the screwfix one then that will be terminated in another enclosure of some sort, which you wire into with its own glands. If your light does not have a pigtail and the house wiring T&E is wired into it you need to add a waterproof enclosure to make the connection.

Something like this, which I don't think comes with glands so will need one or two of those.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/british-general-ip55-enclosure-grey-85-x-75-x-65mm/33991

Archived