DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Painting block paving query

spunko

I've got a load of block paving that I'd like to re-use to edge a red brick path. It seems a waste to buy loads of pricey granite setts when I can just re-use these. I've got granite sett-lined driveway nearby to my new path, and want to try match it up colour-wise.

The nearest thing I can find to how I want it to look is this:

driveways.jpg

(note the edgers). Does anyone know if I can just use regular Ronseal floor paint for this (obviously, it's external....)

The "block paver sealers" are £45 per tin.. Sod that.

The other thing, don't know if this is possible but, I would like to have some sort of lighting integrated into the edging bricks/pavers. A bit like this. Is it a complete ballache to cut them like this - and how would one do it?

3b64efce4a91055fd1eb6ef5898395a5.png

Apparently, I need a core drill bit. £40! Is there any other way?

14 hours ago, spunko said:

The other thing, don't know if this is possible but, I would like to have some sort of lighting integrated into the edging bricks/pavers. A bit like this. Is it a complete ballache to cut them like this - and how would one do it?

3b64efce4a91055fd1eb6ef5898395a5.png

Apparently, I need a core drill bit. £40! Is there any other way?

Core drill bit is the way to go, one with diamond stepped steep, possible TCT would work too but often they are not that deep. Huge difference in price between cheapest and most expensive, the very cheapest being shite and you need the arbor as well so a one off purchase is expensive, but it will work and save a lot of aggravation than any other way.

OK checked, Here's one of the deeper (and cheaper) TCT ones complete with arbour, chap enough and should be fine, just donl't go too fast,  flush with water, clear the whole from time to time and want your wrists - use with side handle attached and should be able to do it without needing a clutched core drill safely, bit hoel 110mm for example really do need a clutched drill.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/40mm-SDS-TCT-Core-Drill-Bit-Concrete-Masonary-Hole-Cutter-Drills-Pilot-Drill-UK/152134322349?epid=23029752281&hash=item236be988ad&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&enc=AQAEAAADMKvsXIZtBqdkfsZsMtzFbFsbX3WcW5fmB%2Fx7ZbaZTyexhr2CpuWbK8oYIYS9ZaaMwUOuyfXc%2FnJ%2BGzo2GrmWd1ix6Nopka68sAbQOD1G5z9EbWaD6B1IglQqjulPnR29le%2BuCCYbsh8GSwb6ZrKHf6PSDrNPwX%2ByfMtFH2%2FzcRgsNIah0KgS0RaOgjeK4uZ43bnN9m22C%2BC%2BTtINs5wlaVjR580lo1K96P%2B1O6vSoRECTg8WyMrkRHcUNOXf4RgNUjpN66EtGT%2BMKYe6XZ0uR4HVh5tSKXz3uK%2F99fTgfjD7fhejQ59qpUhhpKy9VReK%2BZKD3HMbnLbCEWj33UXfRDNGPGxb52badW%2FX8Y7VnIGpSyTZdvsGoWWQAI%2Fm%2F1yFlbcJTLOV0%2FtbkM2ExluyChpCNN%2B%2BT6S10XudWo2uLwsCS45PW4tx72G0KXz5A3EyMQ%2FkeCuLV%2B%2FvvI8DYYbkry02OwKc5bh%2BxaYHB4XNpF6LbPGpDeIfnQW2HF7kVIafgfop2FFPllT0b%2BLY7IVyIBDwvWzUpkjPZ29zicy%2FQwIL6OXck7I6LMX7C1SIUtVlKyO0iV2kv1QLn7ztOgoigao%2BIgkkweP6I4tFtG0KRhrSC7gFAPLSps3DGbgmiTEsyl2EfoMPmSXVnmEVd93P3XvXGMjv2jvZ24jYf2egK5stJ0bzyfzbJbZ%2BwSS%2Fp2%2FkBY4GnOQFF9WyBzjFeD8dkKwWaVnU9d5WR%2B3vU3Yzf18WEotkSSERKfHvqstX85qMcbw%2FIQ3A1RrJuHMe1ROQQwKLaykRweD89pqm4fRJ0xmLMHgtGrUyoq9gwhoCKvOynJ9WSwVHnnbVQVV7MyJZHuqYw4MoypuojLrmRZqYLE9qFee4GsohKc4%2B32HoREYZjDTFt1KDFulcg0pE1TCwzedzYhyt1X4L9cUl3hG%2BWJqtT5JEfEftwDCOSnM%2Bb7q9zgpCRtZcgeDiqMEg76RwGErkpnoVuu48fWc8njdamnW97vLkBz90umX31pMZfRW0vbNaAZzgFzt0w%2BW2jIJ4yHIUJZRMSA7RH96EKQhI3OWvIycylPDzlkkvg%2Bdkwet7%2FQ%3D%3D&checksum=15213432234946fcd380ab5647a885921edf16531cc8

15 hours ago, spunko said:

I've got a load of block paving that I'd like to re-use to edge a red brick path. It seems a waste to buy loads of pricey granite setts when I can just re-use these. I've got granite sett-lined driveway nearby to my new path, and want to try match it up colour-wise.

The nearest thing I can find to how I want it to look is this:

driveways.jpg

(note the edgers). Does anyone know if I can just use regular Ronseal floor paint for this (obviously, it's external....)

The "block paver sealers" are £45 per tin.. Sod that.

Think the floor paint will wear badly and not look particularly good. Something like an epoxy / resin (not quite sure what they use)  binder and powder mix likely to give much better results on both accounts.

Concrete staining is the sort of process you are looking for, maybe ask local builder's merchants if they have any products, a lot of the market is US based but might be something over here. Below is staining concrete with powders and then top coating with epoxy, but probably one of many different application methods.

Con

@onlyme

Thanks. I bought an Erbauer core drill bit from Screwfix just now, which I'm not sure is going to be good enough quality, but it was £40. Although, I suppose I could get a smaller diameter than 120mm (117mm is the diameter of the light fitting), by not having it fully flush. Essentially as long as the underparts are hidden, it should be okay.

-

As for floor paint, I actually did my own garage floor in floor paint, non-slip sand and then epoxy on the top. It could work for this, but I'd need to find a small tin.

2 hours ago, spunko said:

@onlyme

Thanks. I bought an Erbauer core drill bit from Screwfix just now, which I'm not sure is going to be good enough quality, but it was £40. Although, I suppose I could get a smaller diameter than 120mm (117mm is the diameter of the light fitting), by not having it fully flush. Essentially as long as the underparts are hidden, it should be okay.

-

As for floor paint, I actually did my own garage floor in floor paint, non-slip sand and then epoxy on the top. It could work for this, but I'd need to find a small tin.

Oh right, that is large diameter, core drill all the way. Be really careful when drilling and let the bit do the work with plenty of clearing, if that jams with a high torque drill there is enough to break wrists. Bracing the handle on the leg / knee is helps a lot.

Long time lurking
7 hours ago, spunko said:

@onlyme

-

Use plenty of water to lubricate a flush out the hole as you drill it the core bit will last a hell of a lot longer 

• 1 month later...

Archived