• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Frank Hovis

GEI / Dr Bubb

Fingers crossed that Spunko won't ban me for referring to another forum but this is worth a look as a monument to sheer dedication to the job. I looked at it for the first time in years last week after HPC pulled all islamic terrorism threads and banned their discussion.

More long standing posters forgive me for telling you what you already know.

Dr Bubb was a frequent and IMHO decent poster on HPC, analysing investments,  house prices and financial markets in an intelligent fashion albeit with incomprehensible graphs. He was / is a US financial advisor.

He ran a parallel forum, GEI, which was in his signature on HPC and he used to encourage people to join.  That sort of thing wasn't a problem in those days, forums happily co-existed.

For no obvious reason a poster called Little Professor started hounding him, the mods didn't do anything about it despite his repeated complaints so he demanded all his posts be deleted and left.

Several regulars continued posting on both sites but over the years their numbers have massively dwindled.

That hasn't stopped Dr Bubb though, he's still posting away like anyone's business.

Fair play to the man!

http://www.greenenergyinvestors.com/index.php?s=705ddf86b8e51718536008c362444558&showforum=2

Always found him to be very giving of advice and came over as dead straight - considering he could have spent his time earning money rather than posting on a forum, quite a rarity. GEI - like public google drive - you can't keep everything in your head - if others find the info interesting and contribute all the better. May well go over there myself and say hello.

5 minutes ago, onlyme said:

Always found him to be very giving of advice and came over as dead straight - considering he could have spent his time earning money rather than posting on a forum, quite a rarity. GEI - like public google drive - you can't keep everything in your head - if others find the info interesting and contribute all the better. May well go over there myself and say hello.

I'd like to but it I get the feeling it would be like the times I attended a London debating society and a couple of local archaeology groups.

In each case I was very conscious that not only was I twenty years younger than the other members but the interest shown and the mention of always wanting new committee members made me feel that I would be under pressure to step up to an organising role rather than just attending as a casual member as I'd hoped.

Don't underestimate yourself, besides looking at some of the content he seems to have gone along a very similar track to most of us outside of the direct housing market area. He's found Styxx big time.

Is Mikey still in Hong Kong? Must say I forgot all about GEI, it went all UFO conspiracy/Alex Jones-ish, not my sort of thing.

6 minutes ago, Parry said:

Is Mikey still in Hong Kong? Must say I forgot all about GEI, it went all UFO conspiracy/Alex Jones-ish, not my sort of thing.

Looks like he is HK/UK.  Yeah there's lunatic stuff out there but there's a good chunk of it that you just couldn't believe possible say 10 years ago that ended up not far from the truth.

Just now, onlyme said:

Looks like he is HK/UK.  Yeah there's lunatic stuff out there but there's a good chunk of it that you just couldn't believe possible say 10 years ago that ended up not far from the truth.

I'll be honest, I take no interest in financial or political stuff these days. The only forum I use regularly is Pentaxforums (I have many cameras and lenses) and motorbike stuff, mostly toting up the cost of a new Ducati or Triumph but never brave enough to push the button on one for fear of death.

The shallow and trivial, brainless became my thing. I find it relaxes me.

I'm also into flowering cactii . . . and little else. 

1 minute ago, Parry said:

I'll be honest, I take no interest in financial or political stuff these days. The only forum I use regularly is Pentaxforums (I have many cameras and lenses) and motorbike stuff, mostly toting up the cost of a new Ducati or Triumph but never brave enough to push the button on one for fear of death.

The shallow and trivial, brainless became my thing. I find it relaxes me.

I'm also into flowering cactii . . . and little else. 

Ah yes, Pentax - the non-conformist choice - plus you can fit any lens from the last god knows how many decades on the front.

Not guilty of that myself, nope, definitely not :ph34r:

The bike - probably wise.

5 minutes ago, onlyme said:

Ah yes, Pentax - the non-conformist choice - plus you can fit any lens from the last god knows how many decades on the front.

Not guilty of that myself, nope, definitely not :ph34r:

The bike - probably wise.

Pentax became an addiction. Like heroin but more expensive. I shall start a photographers thread at some point. 

I have the K-1 and DF-A* 2.8/70-200 set up on a tripod on the back patio right now, triggering using a MIOPS Smart Trigger photographing an incoming thunderstorm here in Thailand.

Anyways, back to Mikey Bubb . . . 

Oh I did buy a fully tricked out 2017 Honda Grom yesterday as a consolation for not going for a Monster 821. Must say it's a bloody hell of a laugh. 

Edited by Parry

1 minute ago, Parry said:

Pentax became an addiction. Like heroin but more expensive. I shall start a photographers thread at some point. 

I have the K-1 and DF-A* 2.8/70-200 set up on a tripod on the back patio right now, triggering using a MIOPS Smart Trigger photographing an incoming thunderstorm here in Thailand.

Stuck with the K-5 myself. My 31 and 77 keep begging me for a full frame body but it'll have to wait a while. 

2 minutes ago, Parry said:

Have a crappy IST but some half decent glass, picked up some dirt cheap canons in the interim, will have to get decent body again at some stage. 

6 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

There will be NO discussions of other forums on here!!

...:Jumping:

Need to get yourself aa suitable moderator tag toot sweet - can I recommend a tag - SpunkHead.

If I'm going to be banned then at least do it with a suitable name. :D

Edited by onlyme

2 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

What about "The Moderator"  ?

Has anyone considered asking DrBubb to join us over here?

LOL, no don't go there.

If I join up I'll ask him. 

6 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

What about "The Moderator"  ?

Has anyone considered asking DrBubb to join us over here?

It had crossed my mind, and was in my thoughts when i suggested setting up an investment topic.

Much as i enjoy the off topic melee I think we'd need to show him our serious side to get his attention

Edited by SpectrumFX
Attention, not intention (stupid fucking phone)

4 minutes ago, SpectrumFX said:

It had crossed my mind, and was in my thoughts when i suggested setting up an investment topic.

Much as i enjoy the off topic melee I think we'd need to show him our serious side to get his attention

Ok, done :)

26 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

Ok, done :)

Cool. I'll add some topics later. If we start a gold thread we may even be able to lure CGNAO in.

But obviously that's not 100% guaranteed :)

Edited by SpectrumFX

Maybe split this thread into two and point the camera posts on the hobbies forum?

I say that but I have the full moderator control panel on another forum and wouldn't know where to start with splitting an interleaved thread!

2 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Maybe split this thread into two and point the camera posts on the hobbies forum?

I say that but I have the full moderator control panel on another forum and wouldn't know where to start with splitting an interleaved thread!

It's doable, just a pain in the arse.

4 hours ago, SpectrumFX said:

Cool. I'll add some topics later. If we start a gold thread we may even be able to lure CGNAO in.

But obviously that's not 100% guaranteed :)

I'd love for Cg to post here.  He's one of my dream dinner party invites (although I fear he'd be rather boring in real life).

DB knows Cg -- perhaps we could get a 2-4-1 offer.

[funnily enough, back in the day (2007) I was sure that Cg was early in his call -- but bought a few kg of gold anyway.  Didn't do too badly on that (sold it c. 2011).  I thought that they go all out to save the economy and that the real poo-fan situation would occur at the next bust -- wonder if we're there yet...  I'll post that in the Au thread when it turns up...]