DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Memory Training

Mihnjeeta

Back in the 80s I read, 'How to develop a super power memory' by Harry Lorayne, it was interesting and worked, but after learning how to memorise the order of a shuffled deck of cards I kinda thought, 'so what?' and got caught up on the conveyor belt of life, thinking no more about it. Recently though, I returned to look at memory tech with the objective of learning how to learn (in prep for some professional exams) and wow, just wow. Decades later, and with the Oracle of the internet at my fingertips, my mind has been somewhat blown by all the techniques available, the history of mnemonics and their practical applications - this stuff really should be taught to people from an early age.

I've been studying this for an hour or so a day, performing memory exercises, creating my major system + memory palaces,  as well as reading around the subject - just wondering if any other Dosbodders have dabbled in this area?

A little embarrassing to admit, but I've only just worked out how to easily recall the number of days each month has (the classic rhyme never made any sense to me whatsoever!)

320px-Month_-_Knuckles_%28en%29.svg.png

Each knuckle represents a 31-day month. Simples!

• Agree 2

There's one area where this has made a big difference to me: language learning. In case it has escaped anyone's notice, I've been learning Italian for a couple of years.

Suppose I'm watching TV and doing a running translation in my head into Italian (I actually do this especially if the thing is boring, keeps the mind busy). I come across a word I don't know. I'll put it into Google Translate and voila. Now I know it.

Except I don't. The probability that I will recall it later is slim to nil. Memorisation appears to happen in one or both of two ways: either through usage and repetition, or some form of mental picture of the thing.

With the latter, a weird example. The word "flour". How often does anyone use that word - I don't think I ever have. The other day I tried to think of it. I could actually watch my own brain follow a path to where I've filed that away. I could see the cover of this blinder of a dance single come up. The Italian word is "farina".

It's the recall of the picture that brings it back to the forefront of my mind and enables me to retrieve it.

image.png.5d23752481da74284bc0ff82574d2d2a.png

The other thing I've found very helpful is listening to stacks of Italian music. And working out what the lyrics are, and memorising them - which is surprisingly easy. After all, most of us can probably remember most of the lyrics to most of the songs we listened to when we were younger. It memorises quite naturally. We can amaze ourselves in that we can't remember what we did yesterday but play "Come on Eileen" for the first time in 20 years and it all floods back effortlessly. Word-for-word. With 100% accuracy.

So if I want a particular word and I know it's in a song I can watch my mind position the "cursor" at the start of the line that contains it and work along until it finds the word that I want.

This is then emphasised if the video contains imagery that matches the words. If I want the verb "to avoid" I'll think of the line "Tanta protezione per evitare la scottatura" and the verb to avoid is evitare. In the process I also memorise the words "a lot of", "protection" and "sunburn". I can see the scene from the video and locate it quickly.

It works for me, anyway.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, DTMark said:

The other thing I've found very helpful is listening to stacks of Italian music. And working out what the lyrics are, and memorising them - which is surprisingly easy. After all, most of us can probably remember most of the lyrics to most of the songs we listened to when we were younger. It memorises quite naturally. We can amaze ourselves in that we can't remember what we did yesterday but play "Come on Eileen" for the first time in 20 years and it all floods back effortlessly. Word-for-word. With 100% accuracy.

I'd be surprised if the preponderance of good music sung in English is one of the main reasons why the language has become the universal language (and not just solely being a reflection of the success of the English empire and American economic/cultural influence).

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, Mihnjeeta said:

Back in the 80s I read, 'How to develop a super power memory' by Harry Lorayne, it was interesting and worked, but after learning how to memorise the order of a shuffled deck of cards I kinda thought, 'so what?' and got caught up on the conveyor belt of life, thinking no more about it. Recently though, I returned to look at memory tech with the objective of learning how to learn (in prep for some professional exams) and wow, just wow. Decades later, and with the Oracle of the internet at my fingertips, my mind has been somewhat blown by all the techniques available, the history of mnemonics and their practical applications - this stuff really should be taught to people from an early age.

I've been studying this for an hour or so a day, performing memory exercises, creating my major system + memory palaces,  as well as reading around the subject - just wondering if any other Dosbodders have dabbled in this area?

A little embarrassing to admit, but I've only just worked out how to easily recall the number of days each month has (the classic rhyme never made any sense to me whatsoever!)

320px-Month_-_Knuckles_%28en%29.svg.png

Each knuckle represents a 31-day month. Simples!

Thirty days, has September, April, June and November. All the rest have thirty-one, except February. Which has twenty-eight and twenty-nine in a leap-year!

What's hard about that?

• Agree 3

On 02/10/2019 at 16:11, sarahbell said:

Thirty days, has September, April, June and November. All the rest have thirty-one, except February. Which has twenty-eight and twenty-nine in a leap-year!

What's hard about that?

This must vary locally; whilst essentially the same mine uses "hath" and splits the last into two lines with other slight variants.  It must have been drummed in to remember it this precisely.

• Thirty days hath September, April, June and November
  • All the rest have thirty one except for Febuary alone
  • Which has twenty eight days clear
  • And twenty nine in each leap year

On 02/10/2019 at 07:07, onlyme said:

I'd be surprised if the preponderance of good music sung in English is one of the main reasons why the language has become the universal language (and not just solely being a reflection of the success of the English empire and American economic/cultural influence).

Did the success of Empire increase the usage of English or did the usefulness of English as a language of trade increase the Empire?

English can be mangled and still convey the original intent. Where confusion would be bad for business, the words used are dissimilar to each other. Misunderstandings due to language are at a minimum with English and even those are modern in origin. eg. a NATO exercise where the German pilot got 'defective' (aircraft) and defector (pilot) mixed up.

• Agree 1

On 04/10/2019 at 18:13, The XYY Man said:

Bright Boys Rave Over Young Girls, But Veto Getting Wed.

There's half-a-dozen posters on here that should know that one, or similar examples. I'm sure there's one that starts with 'Big Bertha''...!

Don't get me started on Eddy Currents riding his Mega Cycle...

;)

XYY

"Black bastards rape our young girls but violet gives willingly" is what I learned in the days prior to any sort of correctness whatsoever!

• Agree 2

sleepwello'nights
7 minutes ago, Sucralose Ray Leonard said:

What does BBROYGBVGW mean? 

Google is your friend: Black, Brown, Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Violet, Grey, White.

Resistor colour code, whatever that means?

On 01/10/2019 at 22:22, Mihnjeeta said:

The human nervous system is very efficient at optimizing for specific tasks, which means that you get better at things you practice specifically. If you want to learn something then learn it, learn something useful and interesting like a foreign language rather than wasting time on some bullshit "brain trainer" (IMO).

Edited by goldbug9999
  • Agree 3

On 08/10/2019 at 11:54, sukuinage said:

"Black bastards rape our young girls but violet gives willingly" is what I learned in the days prior to any sort of correctness whatsoever!

I learnt it as "virgins" rather than violet.

I tried it many years ago. You memorise 40 items, once you have those you link whatever you want to remember visually to the item, memory is visual. 

another way is your commute to work, think of landmarks on the way and use these as the 40 link items. 

there’s lots of various ways and it really does work, I could memorise 40 random items and recall them back in order.

• Agree 2

swiss_democracy_for_all
9 hours ago, The XYY Man said:

Get off the internet and throw your smartphone in the bin.

If your memory hasn't improved dramatically within in six months, I'll buy you a new phone...

XYY

I reckon my memory started to get worse long before I started using a smartphone. It's the internet - brain says nah, don't need to remember that, just the approximate "path" to the information in a search engine.

• Agree 1

Democorruptcy
On 14/10/2019 at 00:23, honkydonkey said:

I tried it many years ago. You memorise 40 items, once you have those you link whatever you want to remember visually to the item, memory is visual. 

another way is your commute to work, think of landmarks on the way and use these as the 40 link items. 

there’s lots of various ways and it really does work, I could memorise 40 random items and recall them back in order.

That's what a neurologist told me. If asked to remember things e.g. ball, car, man, picture a man, bouncing a ball on a car.

• Agree 1

Forget all that  :PYou only need that sort of mental gymnastics if you're looking to excel at the pub quiz with dreams of winning Who Wants To Be A Millionaire, then when the day comes you find out you're in the studio for Pointless for a poxy one grand.

As mentioned by goldbug9999, you retain what you use or find important enough to think about repeatedly and the junk is overwritten. Unless you are one of the few with photographic memory and suffers the agony of remembering every little irrelevant detail of everything you encounter.

If you need to remember something then repetition makes it second nature like muscle memory, you recall it without having to specifically think about it. Example being, pressing keys to fill in one of these posts without having to look at the keyboard. You remember where the keys are.

I have that thing which means I can't visualise things. 

It's weird as I have very detailed dreams. And even In daydreams I can visualise. 

But on demand ? I just see black. 

I can imagine things in my mind and bring them up as required. But it's not actually a picture. Difficult to explain. 

Anyone got this ? I never realised until recently when that Pixar bloke talked about it. It's always just been normal to me.

On 04/10/2019 at 17:13, The XYY Man said:

Bright Boys Rave Over Young Girls, But Veto Getting Wed.

There's half-a-dozen posters on here that should know that one, or similar examples. I'm sure there's one that starts with 'Big Bertha''...!

Don't get me started on Eddy Currents riding his Mega Cycle...

;)

XYY

I wondered what that was about.

29 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

Which one - BBROYGBVGW or Eddy Currents and his Mega Cycle...?

I had you down as one of the posters I reckoned would be familiar with a variant of the former - being a way of remembering the resistor value colour codes in numerical order. Black, Brown, Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Violet, Grey and White for those who still don't understand what the fuck I am on about. Surely you must've come across a variant of that one being an electronics bloke...? The longer version included the tolerance band colours.

Eddy Currents and his Mega-Cycle was a story of a paragraph or so written by someone that used many electrical terms as an ''aide-memoire'' for O-Level Physics. That one is a bit more vague, in fact other than our Physics teacher at school once reciting the full story, I don't think I've heard of it since. The first line of the story began with ''Eddy Currents climbed aboard his Mega Cycle...'', but that is all I can remember of it nearly 40 years later. That it used ''Mega Cycle'' instead of MHz does date it to the early days - and the teacher had to explain that phrase to his bemused class of 1980...

;)

XYY

I remember resistor colours, so I never needed a mnemonic. A multimeter worked better.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

Neither did I Einstein - but at school the less able were regularly given such mnemonics to learn by teachers. My own Physics teacher admitted openly that he got his degree by learning everything off ''parrot-fashion'' when he was at university, and that he didn't understand a lot of it.

Like you, I don't need them, as what I was being taught was understood and committed to memory instantly. I have never revised for an exam in my life, as I never needed to.

But I do remember them. Surely you are familiar with others related to our profession...?

You must've come across ''CIVIL'' that helps mongs remember how leading and lagging phase angles work in AC circuits...?

XYY

Oh yes I forget that one.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
Happy Renting
On 04/10/2019 at 12:43, Frank Hovis said:

This must vary locally; whilst essentially the same mine uses "hath" and splits the last into two lines with other slight variants.  It must have been drummed in to remember it this precisely.

• Thirty days hath September, April, June and November
  • All the rest have thirty one except for Febuary alone
  • Which has twenty eight days clear
  • And twenty nine in each leap year

Another old saying is 'A stitch in time saves nine.'

This is how I remember it:

stitch.jpg.2baaeef51d6c7cff0aa5633cb675ff6f.jpg

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 14/11/2019 at 15:46, Happy Renting said:

Another old saying is 'A stitch in time saves nine.'

This is how I remember it:

stitch.jpg.2baaeef51d6c7cff0aa5633cb675ff6f.jpg

You must be related to my woodwork teacher, who had nine and a half fingers. Great advert for carpentry.

• Lol 1

• 5 months later...
Happy Renting
On 03/12/2019 at 15:17, MrPin said:

You must be related to my woodwork teacher, who had nine and a half fingers. Great advert for carpentry.

i had a woodwork teacher who made his own leg.  A self-made man, he didn't let a slip with a chainsaw hold him back.