• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
muggle

The Lib Dems are using data to profile every voter in UK - and give you a score

The party is categorising voters and using a sophisticated computer model to generate the scores.

This kind of scoring system is commonly used by political parties in the UK and the US, but new data transparency laws which allow anyone to ask for their data give an unprecedented glimpse into how a major party operates.

Matthew Rice, Scotland director of digital campaign organisation Open Rights Group, was assigned nine scores by the Liberal Democrats. In a possible 2019 election, it gave him a 15% chance of voting Liberal Democrat, a 22% chance of voting Brexit Party and a 20% chance of voting Conservative.

In a second EU referendum, Mr Rice was deemed 77% likely to vote Remain.

"The scores don't necessarily represent my values, but for all intents and purposes, for the Liberal Democrats, this is me," he told Sky News.

"They've decided where I sit on a political spectrum and in a general election they will define me based on these scores. That does feel quite intrusive. It doesn't feel reflective of what you would want from a democratic culture."

The data used to create the scores comes from a range of sources, including the UK electoral register, phone and doorstep canvassing, anonymous online surveys, and publicly available data such as census area classifications, which categorise different regions according to their populations.

The Liberal Democrats also employed "consumer/market research data", which it bought from a third party. This information on lifestyle and financial behaviour is frequently used by political parties to target voters in specific areas.

Asked about the purpose of the scores, the Liberal Democrats told Sky News they were used to decide which people would receive campaign leaflets.

The party denied that the scoring system was used to target ads on social media, although Rob Blackie, a digital strategist who is standing as a Lib Dem candidate for the London Assembly, said that was technically possible.

"The voter scores will tell you that certain types of people are more likely to vote for a party. People who are younger who've been to university are much more likely to care about Brexit and to be anti-Brexit, and people who are older are much more likely to be pro-Brexit," said Mr Blackie.

"You could use the Facebook targeting tools to target people you've identified through your voter scoring, although it is much harder to target individuals since the changes in the law, and the Lib Dems tend to be very cautious about that."

Data protection law prohibits processing of "special categories of personal data", including data on political affiliation, but grants political parties an exemption as long as there is "substantial public interest".

However, data protection experts warned that the Liberal Democrats' automated profiling fell into a legal grey area and could be challenged by the data watchdog, which is currently investigating political parties' use of data.

Source:

https://news.sky.com/story/the-lib-dems-are-using-data-to-profile-every-voter-in-uk-and-give-you-a-score-11828202

I really don't appreciate this shower of shit holding personal data about me.

I would suggest everyone make a Subject Access Request (SAR) to the Liberal Democrats after it has emerged that they have gathered data on EVERY registered UK voter, including political data which requires a valid excuse to be exempt.

It's been labelled it a legally dubious use of the political data exemption under GDPR:

Email: data.protection@libdems.org.uk

"Subject Access Request" give your, name and address

Here is a template:

<DATE>

<NAME>
<ADDRESS>

To whom it may concern,

RE: SUBJECT ACCESS REQUEST

I the above named am requesting all data your party holds on me.

I am entitled to this information under the Data Protection Act 2018 & GDPR and have followed the guidelines as set out by the ICO here:

https://ico.org.uk/your-data-matters/your-right-of-access/

It must also include any percentage ratings you have given me based on your machine learning algorithms OR by any other method, and they must be broken down by each of the 42 different ratings your party uses, which your spokesman confirmed to Sky News.

The ICO have advised I am entitled to know what data your party holds on me.

The ICO have further advised me that I am entitled to know where you obtained each type of data. It must be broken down by data type and source.

Please provide it to me in paper form as is permitted to the address listed above.

Regards,

<NAME>

13 minutes ago, muggle said:

More likely to vote Brexit Party or Tory than Lib Dems and 77% likely to vote remain in another referendum?

There are names for models like that "Shit in = shit out". 

I can tell them my profile. I'm a bigot that once voted Lib Dem. 

xD the morons of Lib Dem are paying the 'third party' for this made up bollocks their genius knows no bounds, truly gullible. I'm going to email the headgirl with the bent transparent husband taking eu bribes and ask if she could send £100k to my bitcoin account so I can release the Nigerian Royal monies to her xD

The Lib Dems have previous form on this.

Remember the Cambridge Analytica/Euonia scandal?

Chris Wylie - protagonist and latterly 'whistleblower' - denounced as a charlatan by Dominic Cummings - crops up early on in his career as a microtargeting and digital campaigns strategist  for the Lib Dems during his student days...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Wylie#LSE,_and_UK_Liberal_Democrats

4 minutes ago, unregistered_guest said:

The Lib Dems have previous form on this.

Remember the Cambridge Analytica/Euonia scandal?

Chris Wylie - protagonist and latterly 'whistleblower' - denounced as a charlatan by Dominic Cummings - crops up early on in his career as a microtargeting and digital campaigns strategist  for the Lib Dems during his student days...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Wylie#LSE,_and_UK_Liberal_Democrats

I arrived a while ago at the conclusion that the LibDems are more an extension of the security services than they are a political party.

8 minutes ago, JackieO said:

WHERE DID THEY GET THE MONEY?

I posted this in another thread, but here it is again for anyone who missed it:

“IT LOOKS LIKE JO SWINSON’S PASSION TO STOP BREXIT OR A NO-DEAL BREXIT “AT ANY COST” HAS TERMS AND CONDITIONS APPLIED.

Swinson’s point blank and quite illogical refusal to join the cross-party coalition to prevent a no-deal Brexit has a 3.5m euro explanation. And the irony of the whole context goes to show that the LibDems are as insincere and deceitful as they ever were.”

This is political dynamite. The European Union gave a 3.5m euro donation to Transparency International, which in peak irony is supposed to be an anti corruption watchdog with a mandate to foster, erm, transparency.

It is run by Jo Swinson’s husband. Has Jo Swinson declared this conflict of interest to the House of Commons? No.

Is that a breach of House of Commons protocol? Yes.

Is it a breach of the law? Yes.

So who is Jo Swinson’s husband? His name is Duncan Hames. He is the director of policy at Transparency International UK.

He also used to be the Liberal Democrat MP for the Chippenham constituency in Wiltshire, holding the seat during the disasterous Cameron/Clegg coalition government responsible for the deaths of 130,000 poor, sick and disabled people under their deadly “Welfare Reforms”.

The same Welfare Reforms Iain Duncan Smith justified with the phrase “Work Frees People” – a sentence last seen, in German, above the entrance gates to Auschwitz.

Unlike Lib Dems we aren’t prone to calling our opponents “Nazis” simply for disagreeing with our political opinions but in this instance, if the cap fits…

During this period Mr Hames was Parliamentary Private Secretary to none other than David Cameron’s number 2, Nick Clegg.

So as you can see, the Swinson family household has its fingerprints all over the social degradation our nation suffered during that horrendous 5 year period.

Source:

https://nyebevannews.co.uk/swinson-fails-to-declare-family-company-was-given-3-5m-euro-by-the-european-union/

Look at Verhofstadt he can't even wear a watch properly, he is one of those idiots who because his wrists are too thin can't be bothered to get an extra hole in the strap.

They do make a very lovely limp couple though.

Look at Swinsons lovely necklace as well, talk about sucking up to the European greasy pole.

Why do we vote these people in, when they can't dress properly and can't get their hair done, they are embarrasing to behold.

Guy excepted as nobody voted for him.

48 minutes ago, Virgil Caine said:

Well what would you expect from a party that is not liberal and not democratic?

I now wonder if they only use these names to stop other more deserving types from using them on the ballot paper!

Last few elections we've got about a dozen communications from the libdems, one from a bunch of other parties, but nowt from the tories.

Tories still get in here though...talk about talking the vote for granted. Our MP could go sit on a beach in the Carribbean for the entirely of their term...the yokels round here would still vote em in again.