• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
TheBlueCat

Rail Ticket Price Inflation

I'll be back in Blighty over Christmas & New Year visiting family and friends. As part of that I booked some intercity railway tickets and recalled that I'd taken the exact same trip a few years back. By the wonders of gmail search, I dug up the details and it was indeed the same dates & times to within a few minutes. The big difference was the price - up 75% over 6 years! It would actually now be cheaper to rent a car for the days in question but that would involve doing a long drive after taking an overnight flight, which is not something I think is safe so I won't be doing.

9 minutes ago, onlyme said:

Try trainsplit? or one of  he other services that gets cheaper pricing by splitting the journey?

Just gave it a go - thanks for pointing it out - but the only difference was that it was able to produce a slightly more flexible ticket for the same price.

19 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

I'll be back in Blighty over Christmas & New Year visiting family and friends. As part of that I booked some intercity railway tickets and recalled that I'd taken the exact same trip a few years back. By the wonders of gmail search, I dug up the details and it was indeed the same dates & times to within a few minutes. The big difference was the price - up 75% over 6 years! It would actually now be cheaper to rent a car for the days in question but that would involve doing a long drive after taking an overnight flight, which is not something I think is safe so I won't be doing.

Woah 75%!

Criminal really....

22 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

All rail tickets are priced for those who can travel at any time. Need to travel when others do and they will sting you. Massively. Travel when the trains are under-utilised and you can travel for next to nothing 

3 minutes ago, One percent said:

All rail tickets are priced for those who can travel at any time. Need to travel when others do and they will sting you. Massively. Travel when the trains are under-utilised and you can travel for next to nothing 

Except they've been stretching the definition of "peak" times to something stupid like past 8PM IIRC on the last train I caught, which meant waiting around for hours. As a result have been using the car instead for any similar journey since.

1 minute ago, onlyme said:

Except they've been stretching the definition of "peak" times to something stupid like past 8PM IIRC on the last train I caught, which meant waiting around for hours. As a result have been using the car instead for any similar journey since.

I think on my londonistan commuter line and the tube network, there is no such thing as off peak. Dunno though as they have changed it so often, I just cannot keep up. 

3 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

SNCF have just bumped my train ticket prices by 40%.

So I will be taking more planes. And Greta can fuck off.

I'd prefer not to, but an ever- diminishing quality of service and a 40% price rise is taking the piss.

For the specific trip I'm taking there aren't any convenient airports with scheduled flights otherwise I would fly instead. That being said, if I could get around 10 other people interested it would be feasible to charter a light aircraft capable of landing on one of the smaller airfields around my destination for less than the price per ticket that the train is costing,

1 minute ago, One percent said:

I think on my londonistan commuter line and the tube network, there is no such thing as off peak. Dunno though as they have changed it so often, I just cannot keep up. 

Tube is pretty cheap, massively so when compared not only to short regional fares outside London but also relative wages in regions. Yes it is rammed a lot of the time but so are local regional trains at peak times.   

5 minutes ago, onlyme said:

The train I'm taking is "off peak" whatever that means. I spent a bit of time clicking links to find the definition and what I found was either ambiguous or missing entirely. I guess MPs don't give a stuff because someone else is doing the booking and paying part so I wouldn't expect it to get fixed any time soon. I suspect it would be a real vote winner for any political party that had a believable plan to fix it (in my dreams, eh?).

1 minute ago, onlyme said:

Tube is pretty cheap, massively so when compared not only to short regional fares outside London but also relative wages in regions. Yes it is rammed a lot of the time but so are local regional trains at peak times.   

Not when you have to do a couple of stops on commuter trains to get you to the tube network it’s not. 

1 minute ago, Sgt Hartman said:

That's the problem when the Gretans start whinging about everyone having to use public transport etc. 

I quite happily would, absolutely. Unfortunately it's fucking shite, barely fit for purpose and a train journey of a couple of hours costs more than a flight to Geneva from Manchester.

Some of my mates who commute to London pay an annual rail fare that could buy a pretty decent car. It's also worth mentioning that for the many thousands they pay, they get the privilege of standing room only, trains from the sixties and the sort of aircon that could only be described as rudimentary guff circulators.

Until someone comes up with a solution about how to make the transport system (specifically trains) less expensive and less shit, I'll be driving my car thanksverymuch.

They need to stop running it like a business and more like a service. 

41 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

Yeah. Welcome to the uk.

4 minutes ago, One percent said:

Not when you have to do a couple of stops on commuter trains to get you to the tube network it’s not. 

Yes, specifically should have said once you are on the tube network. My challenge is always to find a decent car route to reliable/inexpensive parting near a somewhat convenient tube station from way out of commuter belt. 

Just now, onlyme said:

Yes, specifically should have said once you are on the tube network. My challenge is always to find a decent car route to reliable/inexpensive parting near a somewhat convenient tube station from way out of commuter belt. 

Agree but they have brought my little chuggy line into the underground network. They still overcharge on it. 

Just now, Sgt Hartman said:

The issue with any sort of privatised or nationalised service that the public needs to use in the UK is that it's subject to rapid entropy. We have really piss poor long term planning, it's why the airports are so everything is shithouse too.

FIFY. :)

5 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

The issue with any sort of privatised or nationalised service that the public needs to use in the UK is that it's subject to rapid entropy. We have really piss poor long term planning, it's why the airports are so shithouse too.

But the uk has a rolls royce civil service.

They keep telling us....

4 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

The issue with any sort of privatised or nationalised service that the public needs to use in the UK is that it's subject to rapid entropy. We have really piss poor long term planning, it's why the airports are so shithouse too.

Heathrow is the part of this particular trip that I dread the most. Aside from airside at Terminal 5, the place itself is fucking horrible but then add in the 10 mile hike through grubby, half built corridors filled with chavs to get to the tube or train and it's one step up from the fires of damnation. 

I only get the train when I think I will be too hungover to safely drive back from somewhere. And I prepare myself for paying approximately double what it costs me to drive. It is shockingly expensive. And I always run into delays, engineering works and bus replacement services as well. Last train trip ended up taking me over 4 hours to do a journey (from bus from my house to train station to end destination) which would take me an hour door to door in the car. Couldn't pay me enough money to commute by those things.

Its this sort of thing that may explain why.

At this rate your average station Manager (with the appropriate 2 short plank qualification) will be on a 100K a year for a 24 hour week by about 2030. 

https://www.tssa.org.uk/en/whats-new/news/index.cfm/london-underground-updated-pay-offer-2019

London Underground (LU) have now made an improved offer. to your union. We will now consult Reps but the the main points of the offer can be found below:

A four-year deal with a reduction of one hour in the contractual working week across the life of the deal -

• Year 1 – 2.7% (RPI Feb 2019 +0.2%)

• Year 2 – 1.4% plus 30 minute reduction in working week (three banked rest days - target implementation date: mid 2020)

• Year 3 – RPI Feb 2021 +0.2%

• Year 4 – 1.4% plus further 30 minute reduction in working week (three further banked rest days)

• Time off to be taken as six banked rest days (by Year 4) across all areas

• Timing of banked rest days to be determined by management with the aim of managing fatigue

• In Year 1 there will be a minimum increase for all of £750

• Opportunity to move permanently to post 1996 travel benefits for eligible employees

• Medical Assistance Programme extended to all LU employees

• Boxing Day issue to be tabled for discussion at Trains Functional Council on 11 October

• Flexible Working/Smart Working issue to be tabled for discussion at MATS/Managers Councils on 21 November

• Neurodiversity and family friendly policies to be tabled for discussion at Diversity and Inclusion Forum on 29 January

• All other issues remain as set out in offer of 16 August

I think we are gradually reverting to an age where only the genuinely rich will be able to travel any great distance on a regular basis. Unless I've missed something, the cost of every form of transport is massively outstripping general inflation and, with all the Greta-inspired "environmental" taxes all political parties will be gleefully rushing to apply now that they know the woke classes won't dare complain about them, it's only going to get worse.

1 hour ago, One percent said:

Agree but they have brought my little chuggy line into the underground network. They still overcharge on it. 

Look on the bright side - it gets you quick into Walthamstow central for a connection on the tinned sardine (Victoria) line

3 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

Look on the bright side - it gets you quick into Walthamstow central for a connection on the tinned sardine (Victoria) line

True. :)  delightful hour spent each way. 

6 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

I think we are gradually reverting to an age where only the genuinely rich will be able to travel any great distance on a regular basis. Unless I've missed something, the cost of every form of transport is massively outstripping general inflation and, with all the Greta-inspired "environmental" taxes all political parties will be gleefully rushing to apply now that they know the woke classes won't dare complain about them, it's only going to get worse.

I’m not sure big business will be pleased though when they can’t get worker drones. 

Whats that you say?  They’ll just import more people to farm?