• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

spygirl

Well I fucking never...

Read this, as i fancy Lana:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-50080526

Read the following:

The 1975 were named "greatest act in the world right now", an accolade that singer Matty Healy described as "a bit silly".

"Actually, 'greatest act' is really, really humbling, because there's a lot of great acts, but there's not many great bands," he added.

"Bands are kind of dead. Or at least, four white guys with guitars being the zeitgeist is not where we are."

Ok, ill bite ill look them up....

I was expecting some foppish public school boys - and they might be - but ...

Matthew Healy, the son of actors Denise Welch and Tim Healy, grew up in Newcastle and Cheshire

He dont look like his Dad, or Mum, which hes probably eternally grateful for...

Mind you his, mam will use the extra fame as more chances to get tits out.

Well I fucking never if Video Games is the best song of the decade.

Confirms my theory that the art of writing a song is dead ( or there are no melodies left to invent after the likes of Lennon and Bacharach stole them all). The lead in verse is almost talk singing ( two, three notes?). Ok it's pretty good once you get to the chorus, but heck the best the world could come up with in ten years. Seriously what happened to variation of notes ( major to minor) and something that forms an easily recognisable melody.

Edited by crashmonitor

37 minutes ago, Panther said:

I never heard that 'song' before clicking on the video, so I win!

I didn't click on the video, so I've still not heard it, so you're second and I win!

[or maybe I have heard it, but I just don't know it because I didn't listen to it.  Schrodinger's DJ?]

Good god. Lana Del fucking Rey?! 

Don't believe all that shite about record companies not being interested. She's a complete fabrication, a construct made by the record companies. Was previously a drippy singer-songwriter who was given a collagen implant and a bunch of 'moody' songs, and suddenly she's the best artist in the world?! 

Give me fucking strength. 

Was watching a program on BBC4 last night about Eric Clapton and his early career.

I was amazed by how gifted nearly everyone was technically but they had a few advantages.

1, Generations of black music to reinterpret. Thats genuine, not a snide comment.

2, A technological revolution in mixing, editing and instruments.

3, An audience that waseager, expectant and interested beyond the wet panties and screaming.

Edit, 4, Drugs, fuck loads of drugs.

So bands of grotty, unattractive, socially awkward teenagers could form and thrive on a huge ciruit of musically knowledgeable, varied and appreciative venues/audiences.

Today music is a prepackaged product, made to a formula and sold fully formed on platforms that are wholly owned and controlled by an industry.

The musicians fall into very narrow brackets of 'what sells' and 'do we have enough exposure in that genre'

The 1975 were formed to fit a formula, from the sons of industry veterans and promoted beyond their relevance by the So-Called BBC

Edited by GBDamo

42 minutes ago, Craig said:

Don't believe all that shite about record companies not being interested. She's a complete fabrication, a construct made by the record companies. Was previously a drippy singer-songwriter who was given a collagen implant and a bunch of 'moody' songs, and suddenly she's the best artist in the world?! 

In the 1960s when a record company wanted to fabricate a band  they at least had the decency to do it properly. When the Monkees ripped off the Beatles ’Paperback Writer’ in ‘The Last Train to Clarkesville’ the record company gave them a song which is probably better than the original. In fact that band was blessed with better songs by the likes of Goffin and King or Neil Diamond than any of their modern manufactured counterparts. Writing memorable popular songs seems a completely lost art in age with no shared common culture. Maybe this is why record companies have to support the countless “Music Awards” which are essentially just fronts for promoting their product.

Edited by Virgil Caine

11 minutes ago, GBDamo said:

Was watching a program on BBC4 last night about Eric Clapton and his early career.

I was amazed by how gifted nearly everyone was technically but they had a few advantages.

1, Generations of black music to reinterpret. Thats genuine, not a snide comment.

2, A technological revolution in mixing, editing and instruments.

3, An audience that waseager, expectant and interested beyond the wet panties and screaming.

Edit, 4, Drugs, fuck loads of drugs.

So bands of grotty, unattractive, socially awkward teenagers could form and thrive on a huge ciruit of musically knowledgeable, varied and appreciative venues/audiences.

Today music is a prepackaged product, made to a formula and sold fully formed on platforms that are wholly owned and controlled by an industry.

The musicians fall into very narrow brackets of 'what sells' and 'do we have enough exposure in that genre'

The 1975 were formed to fit a formula, from the sons of industry veterans and promoted beyond their relevance by the So-Called BBC

Simon Cowell.

Seriously.

Music industry needs to be destroyed every 20 years. Otherwise you get stuvk with last generations, eeking it out.

I laughed at someone who said - ukgov should support musuc. 

Fuck that.

Imagine only records being Bros on the ukgov topicks record label.

France came close, with johhny halliday.

4 hours ago, spygirl said:

Imagine only records being Bros on the ukgov topicks record label.

France came close, with johhny halliday.

Could be worse. Imagine if it was only Jedward available...

No. Better not. Some things are better left unsaid.

Sorry. But I had to share the pain...

11 hours ago, Craig said:

This old trope is always rolled out. People seem to forget that their 1960s heroes often were equally as false, fabricating their past and generally being dishonest and evasive about how they got where they were. They nearly all fit the moneyed, public school, old boys club mould. I can count the exceptions on one hand. Would Jimmy Paige have been so good at guitar if he'd had to work down the docks at 16? Would Brian May have had the money to build instruments if he were on the dole and not being bankrolled by a wealthy father?

I thought Lana Del Rey would be up DOSBODers streets to be honest, at least when compared to other modern music. I wouldn't say I'm a fan, but her music isn't awful . The blend of Americana and retro imagery are quite interesting really, even if they are false as you say  - some record company bods have realised that this kind of stuff sells, which I find interesting. Harking back to the good ole days isn't usually the preserve of her target market i.e. young people.... I'd argue it's popular because modern life is shit and the younger folk are realising this (and she's cynically exploiting them for money, so fucking what).

To be honest I'm convinced that software alone is creating most pop music nowadays, with no human input. In terms of being proper shit, Ed Sheeran or Avicii are my main contenders.

Edited by spunko