• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Bkkandrew

Qatar vs Saudi

8 minutes ago, Bkkandrew said:

Can't seem to find a thread here on this. Looks a bit crazy right now, just wondering where people think it will end up.

Especially old ME hands, Kurt? Pin?

Being an inherent robber nation and deep in the doodoo it would not surprise me if this is a pretext to an invasion of Qatar by KSA.

42 minutes ago, Bkkandrew said:

Can't seem to find a thread here on this. Looks a bit crazy right now, just wondering where people think it will end up.

Especially old ME hands, Kurt? Pin?

Trump sold Saudi billions worth of weapons ...everyone knows the Saudis are funding terrorism that don`t look good so they made Qatar the pastie  (who are probably as guilty as the Saudis)...diversion tactics 

1 minute ago, MrPin said:

Maybe Qatar is full of money, and Saudi has spent all theirs on nice military toys?

Qatar has really been a client kingdom of the Saudis. The Sunni elite rely on Saudi patronage to maintain their rule over the Shia majority. It's all a bit awkward now they've been caught playing both sides in the regional conflicts.

1 hour ago, Hail the Tripod said:

Qatar has really been a client kingdom of the Saudis. The Sunni elite rely on Saudi patronage to maintain their rule over the Shia majority. It's all a bit awkward now they've been caught playing both sides in the regional conflicts.

Most Qataris are Sunni (80%). Its Bahrain which has a Sunni Regime ruling over a Shia majority

3 hours ago, Long time lurking said:

Trump sold Saudi billions worth of weapons ...everyone knows the Saudis are funding terrorism that don`t look good so they made Qatar the pastie  (who are probably as guilty as the Saudis)...diversion tactics 

Are they allowed to be called pasties if they don't come from Cornwall?  o.O

5 minutes ago, One percent said:

Are they allowed to be called pasties if they don't come from Cornwall?  o.O

Qatar probably owns Cornwall.

This latest 48 hour extension to meet 'demands' is very odd. Talk about painting yourself into a corner!

Are they literally that stupid they think that they can dictate the TV policy of another country or, as Kurt says, is it an inevitable pretext to invade. And then to what end?

Turkey now has troops there. Putin is willing to lend a hand. Iran 100% behind them, so Qatar has lined some heavyweights to counteract KSA, the US and the band of Arab nations making demands.

Would make quite a mess if they all piled in. Is it to prop up the oil and gas prices?

Edited by Bkkandrew
Putin became split in half

5 hours ago, Bkkandrew said:

This latest 48 hour extension to meet 'demands' is very odd. Talk about painting yourself into a corner!

Are they literally that stupid they think that they can dictate the TV policy of another country or, as Kurt says, is it an inevitable pretext to invade. And then to what end?

Turkey now has troops there. Putin is willing to lend a hand. Iran 100% behind them, so Qatar has lined some heavyweights to counteract KSA, the US and the band of Arab nations making demands.

Would make quite a mess if they all piled in. Is it to prop up the oil and gas prices?

KSA has less oil than they make out.  They want a reason to get hold of the gas fields next door perhaps.

This could kick off at any moment.

Also, perhaps Trump is giving the green light because for the first time since the beginning of the 1970s (IIRC) the US has been self sufficient in oil and at a higher oil price could even export and make money?

If you are going to encourage a mega war in the gulf, being insulated in terms of oil supply would be a good time to do it!

3 hours ago, Wahoo said:

Piss off...Cornwall is owned by the Cornish and we don't like the English  :D

The only cornish-owned bits are the shitty bits, all the rest is owned by newcomers now. At least it's raised the average IQ by a few points. I remember looking at some Cornish villages as a prospective place to live, they were like the place in the film Deliverance.

8 minutes ago, swissy_fit said:

The only cornish-owned bits are the shitty bits, all the rest is owned by newcomers now. At least it's raised the average IQ by a few points. I remember looking at some Cornish villages as a prospective place to live, they were like the place in the film Deliverance.

Some guy was joculalrly complaining that you if you drew a line one mile inland from the coast all around Cornwall you would find that it's 90% English between the line and the coast and 90% Cornish inside that line.  With the exception of inland-ish Truro I'd say he's bang on.

All down to cost, e.g. 3 bed detached new build with garage Liskeard £195k, Falmouth £325k

24068_7109947_IMG_01_0000_max_135x100.jp

4886_FAH170098_IMG_00_0000_max_135x100.J

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-67030955.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-66176810.html

I haven't tried to exaggerate it by picking some awful grot place inland or some millionaire's paradise on the coast, Liskeard is a middling inland town and Falmouth a middling coastal town.

9 hours ago, Wahoo said:

KSA has less oil than they make out.  They want a reason to get hold of the gas fields next door perhaps.

This could kick off at any moment.

They're still pumping 10M bpd so they must have a fair bit, maybe not the 70 years worth they say, but must be at least a couple of decades worth. Or is the new low oil price world mean that bankruptcy is inevitable in x years, no matter how hard they try and diversify their economy

18 minutes ago, Talking Monkey said:

They're still pumping 10M bpd so they must have a fair bit, maybe not the 70 years worth they say, but must be at least a couple of decades worth. Or is the new low oil price world mean that bankruptcy is inevitable in x years, no matter how hard they try and diversify their economy

I'd guess if the whole native population doesn't know how to work and hasn't known how to work for several generations, turning that round would be tricky. 

1 hour ago, swissy_fit said:

I'd guess if the whole native population doesn't know how to work and hasn't known how to work for several generations, turning that round would be tricky. 

Make that "ever".  Prior to oil it was fishing and goat herding.

When did you last buy a manufactured product that was made in the Middle East?

I have bought clothes that turn out to be made in Pakistan or Bangladesh but KSA, Yemen, Kuwait?  Never.  And that it is not through my making a choice to boycott but because they don't actually make anything.

Trying to find figures other than notional reserves is difficult for KSA. The Ghawar field their oldest and biggest has been water injected since the 1960s and the figure to look for is the Water Cut % i.e. the amount of water that comes out of the well with the black stuff.

http://www.resilience.org/stories/2004-07-29/trouble-worlds-largest-oil-field-ghawar/

There are agreed figures from 2004 in the above article but trying to find out what is is now is almost a state secret and I have not seen any I could draw a benchmark from.

There comes a point where it cost more to inject and operate the wells than the revenue is worth so even if there are many billions of barrels in the ground it is uneconomic to extract.

08productionwatercut.jpg

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

Make that "ever".  Prior to oil it was fishing and goat herding.

When did you last buy a manufactured product that was made in the Middle East?

I have bought clothes that turn out to be made in Pakistan or Bangladesh but KSA, Yemen, Kuwait?  Never.  And that it is not through my making a choice to boycott but because they don't actually make anything.

Brown has done his best to make the UK the same, a compliant bribable population dependent on the state for all or part of their income. Fortunately the hundreds of years of culture pre-Brown make achieving that a bit more difficult, but he's managed to import a few million to help the project along and has advanced his plan quite well.

Not sure what the plan is when the money printer runs out  or the markets call time though - there isn't any oil!

KSA is doomed, I reckon, so the US/Israel alliance are going to use them to attack Iran and stop them getting too powerful. Could be soon, could be a way off, but nailed on IMO.