• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Melchett

Iconically awful cars of yore

8 minutes ago, PatronizingGit said:

Did you know that the vauxhall belmont - the saloon version of the astra - was actually slightly longer than the saloon version of the cavalier on sale at the same time.

Unsurprisingly I did not know that.

1 minute ago, The Generation Game 🙌 said:

Reminds me of one of my least favourite modern monstrosities 

280px-06-08_Chrysler_PT_Cruiser.jpg

Thats the fecker. Chrysler PT or something. Absolute abomination. 

6 minutes ago, PatronizingGit said:

They also did a pickup version. I recall seeing a few pickup versions 15/20 years back, but maybe only once saw the standard car version. 

I see more than one Proton pick-up being driven around here, which suggests that they are/were wildly more popular than their cars.

protonjumbuck_750_500_70.jpg

Just now, eight said:

Unsurprisingly I did not know that.

Crazy...isnt it. What kind of loon would buy a Cavalier when they could buy a Belmont - more Vauxhall - for less money!

And in my opinion, a far more attractive car...sort of a mini Senator...

6248d1273095465-belmont-sri-mk4-let-img0

vauxsen_749_500_70.jpg

3 minutes ago, PatronizingGit said:

Crazy...isnt it. What kind of loon would buy a Cavalier when they could buy a Belmont - more Vauxhall - for less money!

And in my opinion, a far more attractive car...sort of a mini Senator...

6248d1273095465-belmont-sri-mk4-let-img0

vauxsen_749_500_70.jpg

Sorry, can't agree with you there. That Senator is elegant and classy, the Belmont looks like it's been left in the microwave for a couple of minutes too many, especially with that bodykit. 

2 minutes ago, eight said:

I see more than one Proton pick-up being driven around here, which suggests that they are/were wildly more popular than their cars.

protonjumbuck_750_500_70.jpg

Yes, theres a certain appeal to car based pickups. I've often liked the idea of one with a camper on the rear - like the old P100s. I think campers on a 4x4 pickup just end up being too high. 

MTE4NzUwMmU1MTQ5OThlMjdiYWY5N2RlOWFiYmM3

10 minutes ago, Craig said:

Sorry, can't agree with you there. That Senator is elegant and classy, the Belmont looks like it's been left in the microwave for a couple of minutes too many, especially with that bodykit. 

The Monza even nicer, there was the Manta too, whatever happened to Vauxhall design, back then they were some of the best designs going.

image.thumb.png.9465e5d209eb230ac31bcfdd608b2b8e.png

Edited by onlyme

17 minutes ago, onlyme said:

The Monza even nicer, there was the Mantra too, whatever happened to Vauxhall design, back then they were some of the best designs going.

image.thumb.png.9465e5d209eb230ac31bcfdd608b2b8e.png

Rather than improving their more crappy cars, GM seems to basically eventually kill off any of the better cars that remind us how crappy the crappy ones are. Despite producing about the only interesting GM products in the last couple of decades, they've now killed of Holden Australia as an at least somewhat independent designer and producer of GM cars.

What do they care...they know the US taxpayer is good for bailing them out every couple of decades when the last bailout money finally loses its effect.

Edited by PatronizingGit

33 minutes ago, M S E Refugee said:

Image result for austin princess 1947

The Austin Princess morphed from this to this.

Image result for austin princess

My dad had one of those horrible princesses in exactly that colour, I remember the shame of  being driven round in it.  He then compounded the error by buying an Ambassador which whas just as shit.  I often felt it was child abuse having to be seen in them.

2 minutes ago, PatronizingGit said:

Rather than improving their more crappy cars, GM seems to basically eventually kill off any of the better cars that remind us how crappy the crappy ones are. Despite producing about the only interesting GM products in the last couple of decades, they've now killed of Holden Australia as an at least somewhat independent designer and producer of GM cars.

What do they care...they know the US taxpayer is good for bailing them out every couple of decades when the last bailout money finally loses its effect.

The Astra keeps getting better IMO.  I had one for seven years from new with no significant issues.  I can't actually remember any repairs; just routine servicing.

I only changed it because I wanted something with more power.

25 minutes ago, PatronizingGit said:

Mate's dad had a Vauxhall dealership, had one of the Monza's as personal car, there was a real wow factor for a youngster with the digital dash, felt like a spaceship.

1 hour ago, Turned Out Nice Again said:

Hey! Best car I ever owned (and still own since 2003). Looks aren't everything, you know? I'd take my short/wide JTD over a Zafira any day. It's the same colour as Hammond's review model below.

High driving position/ great visibility/ van-style flat sides at the back/ unstealable (scrotes wouldn't be seen dead)/ reliable + good online owner knowlegebase/ interior like cheese (can't have everything!) 

Mine has the back 3 seats permanently removed to make it a 3-seater van for myself + 2 kids.

I have said before that the Multipla must be brilliant to drive and practical, because it as once voted Car of the Year and it certainly wasn't for it's looks.

One advantage of driving one is that you are the only person around who doesn't have to look at it.

Edited by Happy Renting

21 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

The Astra keeps getting better IMO.  I had one for seven years from new with no significant issues.  I can't actually remember any repairs; just routine servicing.

I only changed it because I wanted something with more power.

I have to say I hired an Astra for a week about ten years ago and was surprised to find it was an excellent car, certainly for that period.

However, do they still have the unfortunate distinction of being Britains Most Nicked Car? Because that would put most people right off. I hear it was because they were easy to nick, were easy to drive for teenage scrotes and had good stereos so they could listen to their shit music while undertaking their joyrides.

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

This was the original design for the Allegro and looks pretty decent to me.  Then BL decided to fit a tall engine which meant raising the bonnet and fitting a big grill.

I stil like the Allegro in  nostalgic way but this would have been so much better.

spacer.png

I think the central strip on the Morris MInor bonnet came about for a similar reason - the engine was too wide.  Though in that case it looks good.

spacer.png

You have both anecdotes slightly wrong.

The accountants didn't want the cost of designing a new heater for the Allegro, and used an existing design from something else, that made the increase in bonnet height necessary. Another design flaw was the squarish steering wheel.

All 1970s Leyland car colours appear to have been based on body fluids and excretions.

In the case of the Morris Minor, Renault brought out the very similar 4CV shortly before in 1947, which prompted Issigonis to widen the Minor.

4cvfront.JPG

The story is that they had already manufactured the first batch of Minor bumpers, and they were still used with an extra 4" fillet in the centre to widen them. Hence also the ridge along the bonnet centre. It was a styling change, also inspired by American styling, although that may incidentally have made the fitting of other engines easier.

1280px-Morris_Minor_MM_(low-lights)_1950

Edited by Happy Renting

1 hour ago, onlyme said:

Mate's dad had a Vauxhall dealership, had one of the Monza's as personal car, there was a real wow factor for a youngster with the digital dash, felt like a spaceship.

The 2012 Monza concept became the inspiration for designer Mark Adams for his Insignia Grand Sport.

A contrarian view perhaps, but the current Vauxhall range are far more appealing in shape than most competitors.

The criticism of BL and many American cars is over played, BL introduced many innovations, later adopted with more success by others. The Austin Allegro Estate is a good example, copied by VW with their 'breadvan' Polo. American cars are typically, simpler, and better value than their European equivalent.

Admiittedly, there have been hiccups, such as the early Morris Marina trailing arm suspension, with it's lethal lift off oversteer.

Not unique to BL, the original Ford XR3 rear suspension geometry had to be completely revised because it had the same flaw, but that was a Ford so everybody has forgotten about it.

Rover SD1 offered Ferrari Daytona styling, more interior space than a Jaguar XJ6, an American V8, and ground breaking safety. Described at the time by Cranfield Institute of Technology as the car to crash into a concrete motorway barrier. 

Austin Princess had a sublime ride quality. Wolseley version had an interior to equal a Rolls-Royce.

All these cars need to be judged by the standards of their era, looking back from today is a different view, and often without perspective.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/vauxhall-design-chief-mark-adams-new-insignia-grand-sport

Edited by Bedrag Justesen

1 hour ago, onlyme said:

The Monza even nicer, there was the Manta too, whatever happened to Vauxhall design, back then they were some of the best designs going.

I can still remember being driven to school in the eighties by a friend's father in a Manta. He used to hammer it over hump back bridges causing kids (no seat belts :o), dogs and school bags to meet the roof, much to our delight :Jumping:

spacer.png

1 hour ago, onlyme said:

In the mid 1980s my parents owned a more conservative* Vauxhall Royale saloon, a less flashy Senator A. Analogue instruments and a slab of wood on the dash. 

* apt as my parents were ardent Thatcher fans back then. 

Interesting fact re: the Belmont being longer than the Cavalier. The latter would also have a fixed rear seat whereas the Belmont's would fold down like the Astra's. 

31 minutes ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

The 2012 Monza concept became the inspiration for designer Mark Adams for his Insignia Grand Sport.

A contrarian view perhaps, but the current Vauxhall range are far more appealing in shape than most competitors.

The criticism of BL and many American cars is over played, BL introduced many innovations, later adopted with more success by others. The Austin Allegro Estate is a good example, copied by VW with their 'breadvan' Polo. American cars are typically, simpler, and better value than their European equivalent.

Admiittedly, there have been hiccups, such as the early Morris Marina trailing arm suspension, with it's lethal lift off oversteer.

Not unique to BL, the original Ford XR3 rear suspension geometry had to be completely revised because it had the same flaw, but that was a Ford so everybody has forgotten about it.

Rover SD1 offered Ferrari Daytona styling, more interior space than a Jaguar XJ6, an American V8, and ground breaking safety. Described at the time by Cranfield Institute of Technology as the car to crash into a concrete motorway barrier. 

Austin Princess had a sublime ride quality. Wolseley version had an interior to equal a Rolls-Royce.

All these cars need to be judged by the standards of their era, looking back from today is a different view, and often without perspective.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/vauxhall-design-chief-mark-adams-new-insignia-grand-sport

Wosely Wedge (Austin princess)

image.png.8ec9e27aa4e45387a1faab799a284ae0.png

Tell me thats not a good looking car.  

2 hours ago, Ponty Mython said:

My parents bought a brand new Allegro in 1973. In 5 years, it had rusted so badly that it was fit only for the scrapyard.

i remember back in the day i'd see rust patches so bad you could literally put your hand through them.