• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Thombleached

Cat died today :(

Well today we finally put her to sleep as she was fitting every 20 minutes and was completely blind and incontinent. 

My wife rung me while I was on stag no. 2 (having done stag 1 then Glastonbury on the bounce) so the guilt I'm feeling for fucking off for the best part of a month is high. 

We agreed we'd wait until I was back (Sunday) and Monday was the nearest we could get the vet out. 

Broke down like a child while on the stag and had to get several grown men to rally around, rather embarrassing at the time. 

I spent all day cradling her and she was purring all day and didn't seem in pain. Even slept with her all night without squashing her. 

Ive only cried a few times in my adult life so not very equipped to deal with this shit. 

Anyway, this isn't a nutmums big huggz, just trying to write down how I feel as that's the best way for me to feel a bit more at ease and you bunch of cunts are the only ones that'll listen!

Had a lovely day with her yesterday when she wasn't fitting so I shouldn't grumble too much. 

My eldest (11) is taking it pretty bad. Whilst she was always my cat we got her so they could grow up together. 

Yesterday in the sun:

image.jpeg

I've lost a few pets in my time but one of my cats was the absolute hardest. Took me 2 years to finally be able to think about her without getting morose.

I don't think Mr B shed as many tears when he lost his mother last year compared to the wailing he's done when we've had to say goodbye to one of our pets. 

Its really tough and some are more difficult to deal with than others. I feel your pain.

She was beautiful. I'm so sorry; only those who have had cats and know what fantastic, emotionally intelligent companions they are can know the pain caused when they pass on.

They live but short lives compared to us, and that sense of injustice when they have to go so soon is hard to take.

Really feel for you. When I put my cat down I thought I was prepared mentally. It was a long time coming and she was suffering. But taking her to the vet and watching her drift away in my arms I just started crying uncontrollably. I sat in the waiting room crying and a woman waiting with her dog gave me a hug.

2 minutes ago, DTMark said:

She was beautiful. I'm so sorry; only those who have had cats and know what fantastic, emotionally intelligent companions they are can know the pain caused when they pass on.

They live but short lives compared to us, and that sense of injustice when they have to go so soon is hard to take.

I'd just echo what @DTMark has said, cats are amazing animals. She was enjoying that day in the sun, so sorry for your loss.

I dread the day the dog goes, hopefully years ahead but have had cats and dogs in the past.  Always gutting but look on the plus side - they will have had pretty fantastic lives, been pandered and catered for, hardly a worry and have a better deal out of life than most owners. 

Sorry to hear that, cats are class. Have lost a couple myself and find it genuinely heartbreaking. Always took comfort in the fact that they had the best possible life I could give them.

Edited by Fossildog

I know the feeling only too well and you have my sympathies. It's been a double blub each time for me. Once at the vets and once again when burying them in the back garden. They really are part of the family. Time heals the pain but you never forget them.

Sorry to hear about your lovely puss.

My lovely boy was run over 18 years ago and I found myself sobbing every now and again for a couple of years.  Anyway I had his ashes put into a little box with 'Smiffy' engraved on the top in faux brass with some fabric flowers stuck around the nameplate.  I've moved house 10 times since then and every time I unpacked I found his boxed ashes and cried again.  I literally threw the box out last week as I think I am finally over him.

I am still not sure that the vet gave me his actual ashes though.

Anyway, lovely pic of your cat enjoying the sun.  

I'm sorry.

Only pet owners seem to be able to empathise that the death of an animal friend hurts as much as losing a person.

My cat was euthanised when she was 18 in January 2010. In March 2010 my 10 year old dog died suddenly and unexpectedly. It's heartbreaking but life goes on. I now have two border terriers but often think of the cat and previous dog.

Someone local is currently gutted because his guide dog died unexpectedly three weeks ago. He lives alone. It must be even worse when your dog helps you get around.

Never pleasant when they're incapacitated towards the end. My girlfriend, at the time, said 'why's there a hole dug in the lawn' and I said 'the cat's eyes have gone a bit milky so I think he's on the way out', apparently that pragmatic approach made me 'psychopathic'. I do worry I might be just a bit too battle-hardened by life though.

I don't usually take them to the vets as I think it just stresses them out more. I am sad but don't get very emotional generally. I do usually write off a substantial amount of soft furnishings by letting the sofa become a cat's hospice.

Very sorry for your loss. Pets are members of the family just like people.

It will be especially hard for your eldest if the cat has been there their entire life. My family got a dog just after I was born and the dog and I grew up with it - she was put to sleep when I was about 16. Still dream about her occasionally.