DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Headphones with valve guitar amp?

Mirror Mirror

Question

Mirror Mirror

OK, who knows about electronics here?

I want to be able to plug some headphones into a Fender guitar valve amp (Hot Rod Deluxe), but the concensus sems to be that you cant just plug them into the aux speaker socket as theres a mismatch (impedance?) and the output transformer needt so see a load similar to the spaeker.

Ive seen some circuit diagrams which have a resistor (10w)  taking the majority of the load and then a tap for the headphones, but cant find one right now.

Can anyone help please?

6 answers to this question

On 02/01/2020 at 22:06, The XYY Man said:

Valves amps as hard as fuck. I'm pretty sure they'll enjoy 4 or even 2 Ohms without breaking into much of a sweat.

The resistor might get pretty hot under the collar though...

XYY

It's open circuits they don't like. The output transformer, can get some high voltages induced in it and break the insulation.

Remember valve amplifiers do not like to run without a sufficient load. You may have to put a hefty 8 ohm resistor in, across the headphones, as your ears are smaller than Wembley stadium.

On 22/10/2019 at 15:40, Mirror Mirror said:

OK, who knows about electronics here?

I want to be able to plug some headphones into a Fender guitar valve amp (Hot Rod Deluxe), but the concensus sems to be that you cant just plug them into the aux speaker socket as theres a mismatch (impedance?) and the output transformer needt so see a load similar to the spaeker.

Ive seen some circuit diagrams which have a resistor (10w)  taking the majority of the load and then a tap for the headphones, but cant find one right now.

Can anyone help please?

This is possible using some jiggery pokery with a dummy speaker load along the line you describe but ... its going to sound shit because guitar speakers heavily filter highs so it will sound thin and horrid.

Just buy a second hand old model line 6 pod on ebay for £30, select the "clean" model which is based on a fender and your golden.

Mirror Mirror

Thanks for all the replies.

In the end I bought one of these, which probably costs 10 times more than the price of the components, but looks a lot nicer than anything I would have bodged together.

iu-5.jpeg

Archived