• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Kurt Barlow

First threatening letter from the So-Called BBC (TV Licensing)

We decided to give up watching TV so no longer have a Licence.

We have a smart TV but its not plugged into the aerial - all we do is occasionally use it to watch a film from a DVD or the Internet. Aside from freeing our brains of BBC/C4/ ITV mush we found its more conducive to Jnr doing his homework (yes 4 year olds get homework these days9_9)

Should I reply or ignore the letter?

Is our possession of a TV alone sufficient for the So-Called BBC to prosecute?

Just now, Kurt Barlow said:

We decided to give up watching TV so no longer have a Licence.

We have a smart TV but its not plugged into the aerial - all we do is occasionally use it to watch a film from a DVD or the Internet. Aside from freeing our brains of BBC/C4/ ITV mush we found its more conducive to Jnr doing his homework (yes 4 year olds get homework these days9_9)

Should I reply or ignore the letter?

Is our possession of a TV alone sufficient for the So-Called BBC to prosecute?

No. Ignore.

You are complying with the legal requirement of not having a TV license.

If you like, reply to the letter and inform that you do not have an aerial.

Further response will incur a £50 handling charge. You are happy to discuss with a member of the enforcement team at a charge of £200/visit.

Send reply recorded delivery and keep a record.

1 minute ago, spygirl said:

No. Ignore.

You are complying with the legal requirement of not having a TV license.

If you like, reply to the letter and inform that you do not have an aerial.

Further response will incur a £50 handling charge. You are happy to discuss with a member of the enforcement team at a charge of £200/visit.

Send reply recorded delivery and keep a record.

There is an aerial in the loft but its disconnected. 

They have no right of entry without a warrant anyway? 

Edited by Kurt Barlow

We had exactly the same situation as you about 5 years ago..

Had TV,  but made sure it was detuned and without aerial so there was no way any unwanted visitor could fanny about with it and get it working.

Then called the licencing people and said we didn't watch TV and therefore wouldn't be needing a licence (which was all true).

Never heard from them again..  until my wife decided she wanted to start paying it and we started our subscription again about 3-4 years ago.

In summary..  just declare you don't need it..  save everyone the hassle of any additional grief. 

2 minutes ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

Buy a TV Licence.

At less than 50p per day BBC is excellent value.

Couldn't agree less..  

I never watch it (because invariably it is all pretty terrible),   the news is "ok" but heavy SJW bias and not worth £150 a year.

Even my wife,  who now insists on having it barely uses it..

There are much better value propositions out there.  IMHO.

I moved into my house in 2016 and got one letter saying I needed a licence. I just went on line and ticked some box declaring I didn't have a telly and since then have never received any more letters let alone visits etc. I wonder if my house is on some sort of 'don't visit' list, ie if the previous occupiers were really dodgy/violent or something. 

12 minutes ago, Libspero said:

Couldn't agree less..  

I never watch it (because invariably it is all pretty terrible),   the news is "ok" but heavy SJW bias and not worth £150 a year.

Even my wife,  who now insists on having it barely uses it..

There are much better value propositions out there.  IMHO.

Seems your TV isn't the only thing that's been detuned.

I think you need to fiddle with your sarcasm radar.

Edited by gilf

4 minutes ago, Melchett said:

They know you are watching....

they have evidence gained using their TV detector vans. 

Yes this is true.

TV Detector technicians can even log which channels are being viewed based on the frequency oscillations of valves within your television set.

28 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

There is an aerial in the loft but its disconnected. 

They have no right of entry without a warrant anyway? 

I looked into this. The chance of the So-Called BBC getting a warrant is vanishingly small. Seemingly the police will not break your door down even if they have a warrant. 

So if by some miracle they get a warrant they will knock on your door and then come in. The chance of being caught watching telly is tiny (unless you live on the ground floor with the telly in full view).

5 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

I looked into this. The chance of the So-Called BBC getting a warrant is vanishingly small. Seemingly the police will not break your door down even if they have a warrant. 

So if by some miracle they get a warrant they will knock on your door and then come in. The chance of being caught watching telly is tiny (unless you live on the ground floor with the telly in full view).

There are lots of videos of Youtube, where the Police have turned up to help the TV licensing folks gain access to property, anyone would think the So-Called BBC was state controlled.

Younger viewers ABANDON the Beeb: Number of 16-24-year-olds watching BBC TV channels falls below 50% for first time as Ofcom warns broadcaster risks a 'lost generation'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7608903/Number-16-24-year-olds-watching-BBC-TV-channels-falls-50-time.html

Try 5-16.

The number will be 0.

My only contact with the So-Called BBC is listening to R4 in the car, to provide some balance to my mostly conservative YouTube media consumption. I considering it as doing them a favour.

Before I switch it on, I like to guess how long it will be before I encounter some SJW leftist theme or one-sided news item. If I happen to tune in during the Archers, it can be as long as 5 minutes, but it's generally measured in seconds.