• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Cunning Plan

All medical research should be stopped.

It appears that all we are doing is finding more and more expensive ways to keep people alive. Or giving wombs to men.

At some point it will be necessary to decide who gets this expensive treatment. Possibly at the price of not giving less expensive treatment to others.

Could we get to the point where 100% of everything goes to keeping us alive for longer than is necessary? Is big pharma actually a greater threat than the banks?

Thoughts?

7 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

It appears that all we are doing is finding more and more expensive ways to keep people alive. Or giving wombs to men.

At some point it will be necessary to decide who gets this expensive treatment. Possibly at the price of not giving less expensive treatment to others.

Could we get to the point where 100% of everything goes to keeping us alive for longer than is necessary? Is big pharma actually a greater threat than the banks?

Thoughts?

Soylent green? 

1 minute ago, Happy Renting said:

As long as they don't stop the search for a cure for Shatner's Itching Knobrot.

I'm just saying that for, um, a friend.

Try a wire brush and dettol. It works.  So I am told.....

30 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Thoughts?

If they can get 3D printed replacement organs to be functional, it will save vast amounts of money in long term treatments.

Just now, Hail the Tripod said:

If they can get 3D printed replacement organs to be functional, it will save vast amounts of money in long term treatments.

Put me down for some unfeasibly large testicles. 

Keeping kidneys going is the challenge....you can't freeze kidneys.......it fucks up the micro-tubes.

And besides .....looking for eternal life is pointless as we're all gonna fry in a nuclear storm oneday.

I think we should continue medical research, but we should also acknowledge that a big percentage of medical spending is spent on either:

- prologing people's suffering at the very end of a long life

- fighting against chronic illnesses that are caused by lifestyle, and can only really be cured by changing lifestyle

Yes, I'm having a go at the obese folk again. A big percentage of ourselves are making ourselves sick and then hoping medical science can fix us, while we continue to make ourself sick.

Fit and healthy needs to become fashionable.

3 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

I think we should continue medical research, but we should also acknowledge that a big percentage of medical spending is spent on either:

- fighting against chronic illnesses that are caused by lifestyle, and can only really be cured by changing lifestyle

Yes, I'm having a go at the obese folk again. A big percentage of ourselves are making ourselves sick and then hoping medical science can fix us, while we continue to make ourself sick.

Or fat and lazy becomes socially unacceptable, like kiddy fiddling.

10 hours ago, Cunning Plan said:

Try a wire brush and dettol. It works.  So I am told.....

I tried that to get the blood off my hands after what I did. Over and over I tried it and it still hasn't worked.

10 hours ago, Hail the Tripod said:

Birmingham Children's Hospital can't even afford a 3D heart for surgeons to practice on. It does seem more profitable ailments get the research.

3 hours ago, spygirl said:

Youre throwing thebaby under the bus..

Just cap spending on patients over 80.

Most medical intervention on eldery patients is pissing money away. Stuff like surgery causes so much damage that theyd be better off left unotuched.

Have different Gps for over 70s - poof! GP demand will disappear.

Start billing the full cost for  OAPs  bed blocking.

We have a surgeon currently trying to talk my mother (80+) into a knee operation. We have talked her out of it as the risk outweighs the benefits.

30 minutes ago, OurDayWillCome said:

Birmingham Children's Hospital can't even afford a 3D heart for surgeons to practice on. It does seem more profitable ailments get the research.

If the technology can progress to the point where a pair of new kidneys can be printed onto a scaffold using tissue cells grown from the actual patient in just a day or two, you could save on all the treatments associated with managing defective kidneys and/or stopping rejection of transplanted kidneys, not to mention the improvement in outcome for the patients. Medical research has the potential to reduce costs massively, not just increase them.

Edited by Hail the Tripod

55 minutes ago, OurDayWillCome said:

We have a surgeon currently trying to talk my mother (80+) into a knee operation. We have talked her out of it as the risk outweighs the benefits.

Chatting to a couple of GPs, theres so much that go wrong.

Not recovering from the anaesthestic

Fcking up the bone - OAPs bones are very fragile.

Then, even if it goes all OK, an OAP laid up for a few weeks to recover, loses lots of muscle tissue which they struggle to put back on. Then this causes them to sit around, which then causes build up of fluids, which causes heart problems.

4 hours ago, JoeDavola said:

The suffering caused and the money spent on some of the end of life care for the elderly is obscene, and very cruel. I do get the OPs point that we're spending vast amounts of money and using huge amounts of valuable resources to keep people alive a tiny bit longer at the very end

Edited by Talking Monkey

46 minutes ago, Talking Monkey said:

The suffering caused and the money spent, public sector workers kept in a job  on some of the end of life care for the elderly is obscene, and very cruel. I do get the OPs point that we're spending vast amounts of money and using huge amounts of valuable resources to keep people alive a tiny bit longer at the very end

Id guess that 30-50% of hospital beds are occupied by OAPs. Most of whch should not be there.

Ditto GP practices. Get rid of OAPs into their own gerontology GP. nad - poof! - half the gPs are no longer needed and under-65s can actually get an appointment.

You may not be surprised how OAP fuck everything up - be it taking a very long to do stuff, block booking appointments then not turning up, infecting GP surgeries and hospitals with flu/gastic infections.

4 hours ago, Talking Monkey said:

I want in for a pair too

You won't get a pair on the NHS -- you only really need the one (and even then it's arguable -- just ask Catlyn Jenner...)