DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Employee Happiness :(

DoINeedOne

Interesting Article https://www.economist.com/business/2019/10/27/whistle-while-you-work

I have heard of this before people checking sites like Glass Door as part of there research

The aim of a new study which examines the relationship between happiness and productivity for workers at British Telecom. Three academics—Clement Bellet of Erasmus University, Rotterdam, Jan-Emmanuel de Neve of the Saïd Business School, Oxford, and George Ward of MIT—surveyed 1,800 sales workers at 11 British call centres. All each employee had to do was to click on a simple emoji each week to indicate their state of happiness. Those workers were charged with selling customers broadband, telephone and television deals. In total, the authors had adequate responses from 1,161 people over a six-month period.

The results were striking. Workers made 13% more sales in weeks when they were happy than when they were unhappy. This was not because they were working longer hours; in happy weeks, they made more calls per hour and were more efficient at converting those calls into sales. The tricky part, however, is determining the direction of causation. Workers may be happier when they are selling more because they anticipate a bigger bonus, or because successful sales pitches are less stressful to make than unsuccessful ones.

There is evidence that happier workers are good news for shareholders, as well as productivity. Analysts at BofA Merrill Lynch Global Research studied the stocks of firms rated on Glassdoor, a website which allows employees to rate the companies they work for. Those with the highest ratings outperformed those with the lowest by nearly five percentage points a year between 2013 and 2019

People who are best suited to their job, and therefore  perform it better, are likelier to be happier in doing it is probably all it is.

Put me in BT telesales and I would both be useless at it and dilike it because I'm not suited to it.

Give me a huge complex set of stats and ask me to make sense of it to infrom operational decisions and I'm happy as Larry.

Horses for courses.

That's not to say that you can't marginally improve people's time at work so that they are happier and work better.  I worked for a council who did not supply milk, tea and coffee.  I found this petty and annoying; it got my back up every time I went to make a drink and had to find my milk amongst a sea of milk cartons.  I would return to my desk more annoyed by the pettiness than cheered by the mug of tea; it was a general and unnecessary demotivator.  

The Hawthorne Effect comes into play when employees know that they are being assessed. Changing something minor at their request can give an increase in productivity.

They say that the lighting is too dim. Increase the lighting and productivity goes up. If, when asked later, they say that the lighting is now too bright, productivity goes up when the lighting is reduced.

Human behaviour is quite fascinating and the lies we tell ourselves working in advertising it always makes me laugh how little changes can effect behaviour even if people don't want to admit it

The interesting thing about Glass Door is whilst you wouldn't buy a investment based just on company reviews sometimes you can see patterns emerge amongst the reviews 

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

That's not to say that you can't marginally improve people's time at work so that they are happier and work better.  I worked for a council who did not supply milk, tea and coffee.  I found this petty and annoying; it got my back up every time I went to make a drink and had to find my milk amongst a sea of milk cartons.  I would return to my desk more annoyed by the pettiness than cheered by the mug of tea; it was a general and unnecessary demotivator.  

I've worked all over the place (including call centres) and thought I could write a book about the culture around the making of tea and coffee etc.  In an insurance company there were free drinks from a machine and team members would take drinks orders from their co-workers on post-it notes and act as waiters/waitresses for the team.  In a university admissions dept everyone had their own mug and you paid each week to a kitty for tea and coffee.  People took orders for tea and coffee for the team then made the drinks and took them round to the team. It would have been better not to get involved with this but then you'd have to be coffee and tea-less for the day (which some people did).  In a call centre there was a drinks machine which you had to pay for the drinks and the break was timed down to a few seconds.  I've also had the scenario you describe and it's more than annoying to find someone has swiped your milk!

Iv worked for 4 FTSE 100 companies and im surprised any make any money at all if im the model employee.I spent almost 100% of my time there looking at the female members of staffs arses,working out how the sick scheme works,and trying to do as little as i could

Problem was every time i went for a job i came in the top 1% of their tests etc and usually got higher scores than their chief exec and was signed as up the ladder material,until they saw i was no such thing,didnt give a toss and needed a redundancy payment to get shot of me.Truth be told when i was a kid i loved nature etc and should of gone to uni and got into wildlife protection etc,something i care about.Problem was in the 80s they shut everything in the north and there was zero chance of doing anything like that.Iv pretty much hated any time iv been employed.Iv liked the people i work with,but hated the people in charge who were mostly devoid of any brains.Work has delivered the increase in living standards,but for me is the no1 thing everyone should be trying to find a way out of.

On 31/10/2019 at 10:28, DoINeedOne said:

.....The aim of a new study which examines the relationship between happiness and productivity for workers.....

Eh?  But I'm happier now I'm not so productive!  Sure, beat myself up for being a bit slow at times but the boss (me) can live with that!

Archived