DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Woodwork

MrPin

15 minutes ago, MrPin said:

I have two massive offcuts from my new kitchen surface. What should I do with them. I think maybe tables. Where would I get table legs?

Try ikea for maybe desk bases. They sell their stuff in bits. 

Or a kitchen trolley .. We got an excellent one off someone because it needed sanding on the top. Husband went and sanded it - took a couple of minutes with a big sander. 

Or long brackets to fix it to the wall to make a desk / table elsewhere?

IKEA, B&Q, internet, etc for purpose made legs.

Or place in an alcove with wall supports either end (what I'm typing on!).

Or use it to bridge two units (e.g. drawers or PC unit) for storage.

I once used stair parts (newels) from B&Q for a table once because I wanted an oak finish.

But the best thing with proper legs is they have what's needed to attach them to the underside of the table.

On 31/10/2019 at 12:50, MrPin said:

I have two massive offcuts from my new kitchen surface. What should I do with them. I think maybe tables. Where would I get table legs?

I'm a bit late to this but if it's a wood worktop you could turn it into shelves using a router.

Some nice wooden brackets from B&Q and you're done.

Happy Renting

Most small villages have a Table Leg Shop.

Caravan Monster
8 hours ago, Tdog said:

^^^ How id like a hobby such as that. 

Was looking into furniture making courses, but they're all either too far from me or cost in the region of £20,000.

https://finefurnituremaker.com/

I think green woodworking goes through a revival from time to time, being historical, earthy and simple in nature. Mike Abbott's 'Green Woodworking' would be enough to give it a go. If hanging out in the woods bodging with a bunch of old hippys appeals, this is for you. For the tool buying enthusiast, this hobby 'requires' a range of generally quite lethal medieval tools which Mr Iles will be glad to sell you https://www.oldtoolstore.co.uk/

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/11/2019 at 11:50, Tdog said:

^^^ How id like a hobby such as that. 

Was looking into furniture making courses, but they're all either too far from me or cost in the region of £20,000.

https://finefurnituremaker.com/

Yeah I'd love to do something like that but fuck the prices these people charge. Was at some fair out in the sticks and someone had a stall selling his blacksmithing courses. Worked out about £500 a day. No fucking chance. I've seen ones where you can carve a wooden fucking spoon in a day for £200. Crazy. Think all these courses are aimed at public sector retirees on fat pensions with more money than sense

Edited by gibbon
  • Agree 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
The Grey Man

I used some Teak Oil on a cheapo wooden bed I purchased. I have used it before to stain wood before sealing with varnish or temporarily so with wax.

I have clearly never looked on the back. Last night I thought this really smells like linseed oil. Not sure why I hadnt noticed that before. Quick check and sure enough its in there and no Teak Oil whats so ever. I have been educated.

• 3 weeks later...
The Grey Man

20200601_171435.thumb.jpg.b6c516a93e431b35d27f0db0c0c410ad.jpg

Its been a struggle getting fencing panels of late.

I needed some rough saw wood to complete a project. Hey ho down to the B n Q que.

There was about three other high level areas as this...close to empty.

Worrying. CV kills trees

• Informative 1

9 hours ago, The Grey Man said:

20200601_171435.thumb.jpg.b6c516a93e431b35d27f0db0c0c410ad.jpg

Its been a struggle getting fencing panels of late.

I needed some rough saw wood to complete a project. Hey ho down to the B n Q que.

There was about three other high level areas as this...close to empty.

Worrying. CV kills trees

Got a mate in the timber trade -- they've never been busier -- they can only think it is because there's lots of garden diy-type work going on.  They are a bit worried that there's been a massive pile of work been brought forwards and that they'll have a dry spell after.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Green Devil

If they are laminate they'll warp and wont last if youre thinking of tables. I got hold of an old oak panel for a head board, beutifully straight and chunky, so picked up some 3x3s and some 3x1 and made up a nice base for it sit on, lovely as a garden table on the patio :)

Long time lurking
3 hours ago, dgul said:

Got a mate in the timber trade -- they've never been busier -- they can only think it is because there's lots of garden diy-type work going on.  They are a bit worried that there's been a massive pile of work been brought forwards and that they'll have a dry spell after.

A mate owns a motor factors ,i assumed he would have closed or been doing short days due to lack of demand ,but he said he has been busier than he has ever been in the last twenty years 

He said it`s not so much garages but people DIY`ing  and battery sales have been off the scale 

• Informative 1

Long time lurking
On 26/11/2019 at 10:56, gibbon said:

Yeah I'd love to do something like that but fuck the prices these people charge. Was at some fair out in the sticks and someone had a stall selling his blacksmithing courses. Worked out about £500 a day. No fucking chance. I've seen ones where you can carve a wooden fucking spoon in a day for £200. Crazy. Think all these courses are aimed at public sector retirees on fat pensions with more money than sense

You Tube is free 

• Agree 2

The Grey Man
8 hours ago, dgul said:

good to know. I was even worried some had gone under. So sounds like just a direct supply chain issue.

Me..yeah I guess work brought forward..some..other was not related to virus things ..well a little...not going away in anyform so sthe DIYathon has just been further extended.

Honest..bloomin shocked by the absoloute lack of rough cut timber. I just had my last weekend online purchase returned last night for a local firm.

I bought 3 or4 bags of plaster before the trade places shut, normal price adjust under £7. Just heard story today of lady having kitchen plastered and £600 bill, plaster costing £30-£40 per bag, sheesh. 

• Agree 1

The Grey Man
On 02/06/2020 at 18:21, onlyme said:

I bought 3 or4 bags of plaster before the trade places shut, normal price adjust under £7. Just heard story today of lady having kitchen plastered and £600 bill, plaster costing £30-£40 per bag, sheesh. 

Bloody hell.

The Grey Man

Blagged some basic waney lap panels from B n M week past. They had a fresh delivery Wednesday I think. Went Thursday perhaps a third left. They have stopped deliveries so had to wait untill Friday for a van.

The 6ft by 6ft..four panels left. Two knackered. The 3ft high panels remained numerous..Anything higher, almost gone in 3 days. A lot felt dry so clearly been waiting for sometime somewhere and not just cut.

A pile of 8ft long decking was down to about 30 pieces...it was stacked about 1.5m wide and a metre high the evening before.

Woodstain..half decent oil or solvent based..well the lighter colours anyway... in 2.5 l tins..exceedingly uncommon (light/French/medium oak). I found somewhere on line eventually for the right price..colour and quantity. Annoying as I have a bit to paint and dont want to run out of the colour I am using. A single tin fine. But a largeish job get it in one go.

• Agree 1

I made a 1m by 2m 1 hour workbench for the workshop off Youtube last week.  Nine hours later and it looks great!  I then pimped it with additional shelving and accidentally ran a circular saw across a corner so it now looks cool.  More bracing tomorrow as the builder's merchants sent 12 rather than 18mm plywood for the shelves (25mm for the surface though!).  They don't cover such things on YouTube.  Must live in a bubble!

PS:  I know you're dying to know about the plywood offcuts.  Turned into eleven trays for the larder.  A day of nail gun heaven!

Edited by Harley
  • Agree 2
  • Informative 1
  • Lol 2
  • Cheers 1

The Grey Man
20 hours ago, Harley said:

I made a 1m by 2m 1 hour workbench for the workshop off Youtube last week.  Nine hours later and it looks great!  I then pimped it with additional shelving and accidentally ran a circular saw across a corner so it now looks cool.  More bracing tomorrow as the builder's merchants sent 12 rather than 18mm plywood for the shelves (25mm for the surface though!).  They don't cover such things on YouTube.  Must live in a bubble!

PS:  I know you're dying to know about the plywood offcuts.  Turned into eleven trays for the larder.  A day of nail gun heaven!

I feel woefully inadequate with my staple gun. 😯