• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
MrPin

Bow Ties

Pre tied are for scoundrels.

At my wedding, it was compulsory tie your own. Most couldn't. However one young lady had mastered the knack but could only do it on her thigh and then transfer it to the gentleman needing it.

There was quite a long queue as she sat on the staircase assisting all those in need.

The absolute lowest are those with ready made that sneakily remove them and drape a traditional one round their neck (untied) later in the evening. Pure chav.

Yes. I am a bow tie pedant.

I have a very strange reason for asking, which will not be revealed yet.

But still, who else has some?

Just now, Cunning Plan said:

Pre tied are for scoundrels.

At my wedding, it was compulsory tie your own. Most couldn't. However one young lady had mastered the knack but could only do it on her thigh and then transfer it to the gentleman needing it.

There was quite a long queue as she sat on the staircase assisting all those in need.

The absolute lowest are those with ready made that sneakily remove them and drape a traditional one round their neck (untied) later in the evening. Pure chav.

Yes. I am a bow tie pedant.

Aren't you a pedant at everything?

Still, such people do not deserve to be British.

5 minutes ago, MrPin said:

I have a very strange reason for asking, which will not be revealed yet.

But still, who else has some?

Aren't you a pedant at everything?

Still, such people do not deserve to be British.

Only the very important things like union flags and bow ties.

Oh, and Cornish pasties and cricket. 

Just now, dgul said:

I used to wear them a lot, but I work from home these days and so normally don't bother.

True. It is very hard to get one to match with the smoking jacket. A cravat is probably preferable in these circumstances.

11 minutes ago, mooncat69 said:

I used to wear one a lot at university. I can still tie one now. Blindfolded. Not that I'm into that sort of thing.

Sometimes with a bow tie, it's best not to wear anything else with it.

4 minutes ago, One percent said:

Disappointed. I came on here thinking it was a thread about cockerney geezers 

That's the Bow balls. It's why they have a strange gait at the fishmarket.o.O

Just now, Cunning Plan said:

Are you thinking of becoming a dreamboy?

Anyone having dreams about me ought to "lay off the sauce" a bit.

I've got one my mum made for me out of jazzy christmas material a couple of years ago. Took me ages to remember how to tie it as I'd not worn one since I used to wear a DJ while playing viola at school concerts. Not sure what happened to the nice satin black one I had then.

Black tie events - hell yes. Otherwise no. I don't think I've put a conventional tie on for about 10 years now, and that was to a funeral.

Man bun sporting beardy hipster types wear wooden bow ties around here. Twats the lot of them. And don't get me started on too short skinny jeans and shoes without socks. Fuckers.

6 minutes ago, Captain Cavey said:

Black tie events - hell yes. Otherwise no. I don't think I've put a conventional tie on for about 10 years now, and that was to a funeral.

Man bun sporting beardy hipster types wear wooden bow ties around here. Twats the lot of them. And don't get me started on too short skinny jeans and shoes without socks. Fuckers.

Now you've hit a nerve. Unless a formal occasion, I haven't worn socks for at least 6 years. They just don't go with deck shoes. I am barefoot at least 90% of the time.

Never worn one  ... would be intrigued to and to learn how to tie.

On ties, I've not worn one for years.  my jobs have never required one thank fuck so it's funerals, interviews etc. I do like a Windsor knot though

5 hours ago, Cunning Plan said:

Only the very important things like union flags and bow ties.

Oh, and Cornish pasties and cricket. 

Now you're talking!

I have one for wearing to formal, "black tie" events.

I am definitely prejudiced against people who wear them in any other context. In fact, it grates on me to be around people who wear them in a non formal setting. The bow tie was even a contributing factor to me giving up on Doctor Who when Matt Smith took over. Not a fan of bow ties.