• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

DTMark

The new Doctor should be a woman

Got your attention ;)

No, not my argument. Indeed I've spent wasted some time this morning arguing with this.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/jul/05/is-this-the-new-face-of-doctor-who-phoebe-waller-bridge#comment-101558224

It has turned into the "Brawndo's got what plants crave" style of debate. I know I shouldn't have bothered. I took issue with the article author's conclusion "Phoebe Waller-Bridge is absolutely the best choice for Doctor Who".

The top-rated comment (not mine) is rooted in sanity.

I fully expect to be flamed over this, but I really think that making the Doctor a female character would be a massive mistake.

Doubtless that is now ensuring much gnashing of teeth, but I have a good reason for this which is not to do with me being some sort of woman-hating, Trump-loving nutter. It's more subtle than that, and concerns male characters, and particularly heroes, in general in popular culture. Take a look at the male heroes we see around us, and they're all super-macho types reliant on guns and explosions to achieve their ends (e.g. Iron Man, Captain America). It perpetrates the idea that men can only achieve their aims through extreme violence and force.

Doctor Who presents the antithesis of this. Oh sure, he might blow up the odd Dalek battle station, but he is not, in and of himself, a violent man. He preaches compromise, non-violence (refuses to use guns) and intelligence to solve situations. And I'm sorry to perpetrate a trope, but boys will relate more to a male character than a female one because they are looking at them as themselves, or as grown up versions anyway.

In a world where the male role model is increasingly an endangered concept, Doctor Who is an important male role to show kids you don't need force to achieve your ends. I'm sorry if this upsets people who want a female doctor for their various reasons, but this is an argument I've never seen made, but feel it deserves an airing.

Opinions please..

22 minutes ago, DTMark said:

Got your attention ;)

No, not my argument. Indeed I've spent wasted some time this morning arguing with this.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/jul/05/is-this-the-new-face-of-doctor-who-phoebe-waller-bridge#comment-101558224

It has turned into the "Brawndo's got what plants crave" style of debate. I know I shouldn't have bothered. I took issue with the article author's conclusion "Phoebe Waller-Bridge is absolutely the best choice for Doctor Who".

The top-rated comment (not mine) is rooted in sanity.

Opinions please..

When little boys play Doctor Who, they just add guns into it. Makes no difference that he doesn't use them. As far as role models for kids go, he's a generic hero with generic disposable villains. People who read the Guardian get everything backwards, they seem to think that every two dimensional dipshit that appears on their idiot box is an automatic role model, while real life family members or teachers or sports coaches are for all intents and purposes irrelevant.

Edit to add: It's the first time I've seen that argument made, and though I don't agree it is a well made point that will convince some. FWIW I couldn't care less who the new Doctor is.

Edited by Hail the Tripod

The new Doctor should be the best person for the job, regardless of sex.

In the run up to the US election I was staggered at the amount of people supporting Hilary Clinton for no other reason than the fact that she is a woman. Apparently her ability to actually do the job was not as relevant as the fact that she has a vagina.

As usual the people who claim to want equality of the sexes are the ones doing the most to prevent it from actually happening.

22 minutes ago, Fully Detached said:

The new Doctor should be the best person for the job, regardless of sex.

In the run up to the US election I was staggered at the amount of people supporting Hilary Clinton for no other reason than the fact that she is a woman. Apparently her ability to actually do the job was not as relevant as the fact that she has a vagina.

As usual the people who claim to want equality of the sexes are the ones doing the most to prevent it from actually happening.

The same people didn't apply that when it came to Theresa May in the last election though! I happily baited them with that one, and will continue to do so.

3 minutes ago, The Idiocrat said:

The same people didn't apply that when it came to Theresa May in the last election though! I happily baited them with that one, and will continue to do so.

Good point! Maybe Hilary is more womanly than Theresa? Or perhaps Jermey Corbyn is in touch enough with his feminine side to beat the pair of them?

I've given up on DW due to piss poor writing and endless PC and diversity bollocks (blacks/asians in a crowd in medieval times or a white male Gallifreyan man regenerating into a black woman - would they ever do it the other way around - I think not. That would be wasist and patriarchal). Now they want to turn the Doctor himself into a woman - and probably a lesbian too as Steven Moffat seemed to have a thing for them during his time as boss (Vastra, Jenny, Claira, Bill)

I like Peter Capidi, I think he's been a fine Doctor and a good throwback to the third Doctor - but by Christ has he had total shite to work with.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the viewing figures have fallen off a cliff these last few seasons. DW was easily doing 7-8 million in the overnight figures just 5 years ago. Now, they're lucky if they get 4m. Loads of people I know who used to watch it religiously are now either just watching the odd one or, like me, given up completely.

I can't see it lasting 26 years this time.

5 minutes ago, TheNoSnowMan said:

I've given up on DW due to piss poor writing and endless PC and diversity bollocks (blacks/asians in a crowd in medieval times or a white male Gallifreyan man regenerating into a black woman - would they ever do it the other way around - I think not. That would be wasist and patriarchal). Now they want to turn the Doctor himself into a woman - and probably a lesbian too as Steven Moffat seemed to have a thing for them during his time as boss (Vastra, Jenny, Claira, Bill)

I like Peter Capidi, I think he's been a fine Doctor and a good throwback to the third Doctor - but by Christ has he had total shite to work with.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the viewing figures have fallen off a cliff these last few seasons. DW was easily doing 7-8 million in the overnight figures just 5 years ago. Now, they're lucky if they get 4m. Loads of people I know who used to watch it religiously are now either just watching the odd one or, like me, given up completely.

I can't see it lasting 26 years this time.

I gave up after a handful of Capaldis; which was the writing and not him who I thought was ideal for the role.

Whilst I have no TV and can't watch iPlayer anything I really wanted to watch I could get a friend to record. These days I do not bother with any BBC TV output at all.

2 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Whilst I have no TV and can't watch iPlayer anything I really wanted to watch I could get a friend to record. These days I do not bother with any BBC TV output at all.

Same.

I only used to watch DW and Top Gear.

Not anymore. I don't want to watch PC Who or Joey from Friends with two (boring) blokes & no chemistry. 

FFS. the So-Called BBC really is total shit nowadays.

Up 'til the most recent series I'd have agreed with the negativity. I was among those advancing it.

I think Capaldi is the best Doctor since Ecclestone. Who in turn was the best Doctor since Peter Davison. He has however been largely wasted in the role. Some of the stories have been so dire I've struggled to watch them.

The latest series had one duff episode, but has been largely excellent and the series finale - with the Doctor knowing that he wasn't going to win this time - and Capaldi's wonderful acting when finally given a decent script and with the absence of that intrusive background music - was actually moving. It was a great return to form.

11 minutes ago, TheNoSnowMan said:

Same.

I only used to watch DW and Top Gear.

Not anymore. I don't want to watch PC Who or Joey from Friends with two (boring) blokes & no chemistry. 

FFS. the So-Called BBC really is total shit nowadays.

Top Gear was also my other watch; though as the So-Called BBC ruined it before iPlayer required a licence I didn't need people to record that for me.

It'll be this generation's Sylvester McCoy* moment**.  Perhaps it'll survive, perhaps, like last time, it won't.

[* The last Doctor I really watched, you know, having grown up in the intervening years.  I've seen a little the current crop and I think they're all excellent, but I'm not 12 so don't watch it now.]

[** Which is, apparently, classed as 'written by ardent young firebrands who feel they have to be clever' rather than implying anything negative about McCoy's ability as an actor]

Edited by dgul

2 minutes ago, DTMark said:

Up 'til the most recent series I'd have agreed with the negativity. I was among those advancing it.

I think Capaldi is the best Doctor since Ecclestone. Who in turn was the best Doctor since Peter Davison. He has however been largely wasted in the role. Some of the stories have been so dire I've struggled to watch them.

The latest series had one duff episode, but has been largely excellent and the series finale - with the Doctor knowing that he wasn't going to win this time - and Capaldi's wonderful acting when finally given a decent script and with the absence of that intrusive background music - was actually moving. It was a great return to form.

I have read that the last two episodes are good so I might give them a chance at some point - especially with them bringing back the proper Cybermen, I also see the Xmas special is going to be a multi Doctor story with the return of the First Doctor. As nice an idea as that is (as it's not the first time the First Doctor has be recast) - wouldn't it of been a better idea to bring the 8th Doctor back so he can have a proper story rather than just his birth and death on screen? Plus the original actor (Paul McGann) is still very much alive!

I have nothing against female doctors, and it is understandable that some patients prefer them when they have 'ladies parts'.

So I am all for a female Dr Who, as long as the storylines feature gynaecology.

Edited by Happy Renting

This series had been a lot better, I've actually started liking Capaldi as The Doctor. Bill looked like she'd be really annoying from the promo clip but she's been really good. Saying that, I've been really annoyed by the constant blackwashing of British history. They had the gall to make about a third of Victorian London black and then say that Britain's history had been whitewashed. 

Anyway, I hope they don't make The Doctor female, they've already done it with The Master and, while Missy is a great character, she just doesn't feel like The Master.

33 minutes ago, NTB said:

The ladies should make a competing programme if they want a female lead. They could call it Nurse Who. :P

That's what I actually suggested - a spin-off series.

I didn't think of that title, though - brilliant ;)