• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

One in three nursing homes failing safety tests

Just been a bit on the news about this.

My sympathy are with the NH workers.

Some stupid bint going - Oh we pay 5000 month to these operaotrs and they take it all as profit...'

Stupid cunt. If there was 5k profit in running a acre home then the UK would be full of them. All that 5k goes on costs - even low paid arse wipers cost a lot when you are operating 24/7. What hotel offers 3 meals/day, nursing support for ~1400/week or 200 night?

Then there was a bit of about a demnentia patient throwing themsleves on the floor and being left there.

Look, have you tried lifting up a 15st person, who might bight, hit and kick? I have. Its fcking hard, low paid, dangerous work.

One ofthe problems with UK nursing homes is people are living too long. A major part of OAP care has to involve euthanasia of demented 80 yo.

Councils do not pay enough and council contracts run at a loss.

If you are in the unfortunate position fo having to select a care home for a relative then before doing any checks simply ask if they take council tenants.  If the answer is "Yes" then walk away; the fees you will be paying will be cross-subsidising the loss making council contracts rather than providing a decent service to your relative.

Corners will be being cut left right and centre to stop the home going bust.

17 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Some stupid bint going - Oh we pay 5000 month to these operaotrs and they take it all as profit...'

Stupid cunt. If there was 5k profit in running a acre home then the UK would be full of them. All that 5k goes on costs - even low paid arse wipers cost a lot when you are operating 24/7. What hotel offers 3 meals/day, nursing support for ~1400/week or 200 night?

Then there was a bit of about a demnentia patient throwing themsleves on the floor and being left there.

Look, have you tried lifting up a 15st person, who might bight, hit and kick? I have. Its fcking hard, low paid, dangerous work.

One ofthe problems with UK nursing homes is people are living too long. A major part of OAP care has to involve euthanasia of demented 80 yo.

Apparently being on a cruise ship works out cheaper and better quality as long as you are capable of wiping your own arse 

1 hour ago, spygirl said:

Having lots of experience with dementia in the last 10 years I can honestly say I'd throw myself off a bridge before I got that far. Zero quality of life, utterless pointless and cruel what we put our elderly through.

Euthanasia is so much kinder. FFS the end of life I gave my cat on Monday was much more dignified than the end I would get myself if I didn't act. 

6 hours ago, Thombleached said:

Having lots of experience with dementia in the last 10 years I can honestly say I'd throw myself off a bridge before I got that far. Zero quality of life, utterless pointless and cruel what we put our elderly through.

Euthanasia is so much kinder. FFS the end of life I gave my cat on Monday was much more dignified than the end I would get myself if I didn't act. 

Its euthanasia for me, I just don't want to be degraded for years on end in pain, dirty, miserable, I'd rather get injected with summat that causes me to drift away.

When I did mi Duke of Edinburgh award, I did some volunteer work in an old people's home, it was not a nice place, I don't want to go in one. Totally pointless and cruel what a lot of elderly are put through at the end, years bed ridden, just waiting to die

24 minutes ago, Talking Monkey said:

Its euthanasia for me, I just don't want to be degraded for years on end in pain, dirty, miserable, I'd rather get injected with summat that causes me to drift away.

When I did mi Duke of Edinburgh award, I did some volunteer work in an old people's home, it was not a nice place, I don't want to go in one. Totally pointless and cruel what a lot of elderly are put through at the end, years bed ridden, just waiting to die

And me.

I've been in loads, some of them are absolutely awful. One of my current customers is a care home whose grounds I look after, I am genuinely considering binning them off on general principal as there is something about the place that makes me feel very uncomfortable. I checked their CQC report and it's a shocker so I think my instincts are well founded.

Mrs H has been a deputy manager at a few care homes. She has quite a lot stories to tell, some real horrors including one where, on the first day, she was told that she would be restricted to one pair of latex gloves a day for cost measures. This was to be enforced amongst all of the staff.

She laughed in their face before realising they were deadly serious. She quit on the spot and made a few phone calls regarding it.

The whole industry of granny farming in the UK is an utter disgrace, I've only ever seen one I'd be happy to see out my twilight years in and that was 3k a week.

As for some of these other shitholes? Well fuck that. If it was looking like that's where I was headed then I'd remove myself from the equation, no doubt about it.

Edited by Sgt Hartman

5 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

And me.

I've been in loads, some of them are absolutely awful. One of my current customers is a care home whose grounds I look after, I am genuinely considering binning them off on general principal as there is something about the place that makes me feel very uncomfortable. I checked their CQC report and it's a shocker so I think my instincts are well founded.

Mrs H has been a deputy manager at a few care homes. She has quite a lot stories to tell, some real horrors including one where, on the first day, she was told that she would be restricted to one pair of latex gloves a day for cost measures. This was to be enforced amongst all of the staff.

She laughed in their face before realising they were deadly serious. She quit on the spot and made a few phone calls regarding it.

The whole industry of granny farming in the UK is an utter disgrace, I've only ever seen one I'd be happy to see out my twilight years in and that was 3k a week.

As for some of these other shitholes? Well fuck that. If it was looking like that's where I was headed then I'd remove myself from the equation, no doubt about it.

Yes it's disgraceful how the elderly are treated in many care homes. 

One lady I know worked in a local one for a short time. They ran out of incontinence pants regularly. Only two care staff at night for nearly 30 residents. She complained about it after she quit. It did get a bad report and upped its game......for a while. 

Since then I've spoken to two others that worked there until they got another job. They couldn't stand seeing what happens to you if you get old and need care.

To be fair to the current set of dribbling OAPS ... I guess they did not have to think much about care homes.

In fact, remembering back to the the late 70s, not a lot existed.

I guess the demented of those days ended up in lunatic bin.

And there were a lot less 75+ OAPs. In those days fags + lard + NHS letting you drop dead saw OAPs finished off in 5-10 years of retiring.

My paternal GPS pegged it before they were 70,in the mid 70s. My maternal ones hung on til their 90s in the late 80s.

Keep a few grand for a trip to Dignitas or whatever they're called. And keep an eye on your courage levels, that IMO is why most don't go, the poor sods have outlived their courage as well as their dignity.  The moment you feel terrified to go is the very last chance you'll get to keep your dignity.

2 minutes ago, swissy_fit said:

Keep a few grand for a trip to Dignitas or whatever they're called. And keep an eye on your courage levels, that IMO is why most don't go, the poor sods have outlived their courage as well as their dignity.  The moment you feel terrified to go is the very last chance you'll get to keep your dignity.

No, I expect most 80 YO expected to be carried of theit home in a box, just like their GPs were.

This being kept alive as zombie is relatively recent.

No-one will look after your money, kids, dog or elderly relatives as carefully as you would yourself. It always seems weird people keep entrusting these things to others, who are doing it for money, and continue to do so despite getting the same results.

2 hours ago, swissy_fit said:

I really hope that by the time I'm ready (35 now so not quite half way in theory), euthanasia is something that's been properly legislated for and can be administered by your local GP in your own home. 

With dementia cases accelerating I can see the wheels turning slowly. We can but hope anyway.