• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Chewing Grass

Big fat Uber thread

Are Uber only available if you live in London and/or suburbia? I have never bothered to even look into it, I never get taxis anyway, and living out in the sticks* I assume they are as out of reach to me as a Dominos delivery.

I would be interested in hearing what the fuss is over this company, from either side. I have always chalked up the relentless hype to the fact that journalists, who create the news nowadays, use them a lot and skew the perspective. Honestly, how many times a year do normal people hire a fucking taxi? To the naysayers, there are so many other things to be angry about, other than a company exploiting dubious visa status incomers on zero hours while they pocket £500 a week tax credits. Normal people only come into contact with taxis once or twice a year yet I am apparently expected to give a toss about the plight of black cab drivers, as if they are the only ones being shafted by immigration and rampant rapacious multinational exploitation.

Quelqu'un peut expliquer?

*as much as you can get in the South East anyway

17 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

Are Uber only available if you live in London and/or suburbia? I have never bothered to even look into it, I never get taxis anyway, and living out in the sticks* I assume they are as out of reach to me as a Dominos delivery.

I would be interested in hearing what the fuss is over this company, from either side. I have always chalked up the relentless hype to the fact that journalists, who create the news nowadays, use them a lot and skew the perspective. Honestly, how many times a year do normal people hire a fucking taxi? To the naysayers, there are so many other things to be angry about, other than a company exploiting dubious visa status incomers on zero hours while they pocket £500 a week tax credits. Normal people only come into contact with taxis once or twice a year yet I am apparently expected to give a toss about the plight of black cab drivers, as if they are the only ones being shafted by immigration and rampant rapacious multinational exploitation.

Quelqu'un peut expliquer?

*as much as you can get in the South East anyway

I know for a fact that you can use them in bham so assume Manchester will be the same aswel.  Maybe Belfast/Leeds/Cardiff by now?

also I use them for work when in London and I've got a tight schedule to catch a train (usually walk everywhere). It's good because I've linked the app to my company CC so don't have to faff around with cash (aware that black cabs take cards now though). 

Also very prompt from ordering (5 mins tops usually). Oh and it's cheaper (not that it really bothers me - expenses innit!)

Edited by Thombleached

I wondered why it was that people signed up to work for Uber and then complained that it doesn't pay a living wage.

It's not supposed to pay a living wage. It's for people who fancy a bit of pocket money now and again. So why would anyone then complain about the 'wages'? The terms seem fairly clear.

I then theorised that it might be that a significant number of people working for them can't get other jobs. Perhaps language might be a barrier to that.

And from what I read, afraid I don't have the source, about 30% of Uber drivers speak no English. Which would be a bit of a problem getting a job that requires a face-to-face interview.

I expect full on taxi war to break out, their advertising is now hitting satellite towns where local established 'families' are the main operators. Most Uber drivers are immigrants of mainly one flavour using/used by Ubaer to undermine the established firms.

9 minutes ago, DTMark said:

And from what I read, afraid I don't have the source, about 30% of Uber drivers speak no English. Which would be a bit of a problem getting a job that requires a face-to-face interview.

Interesting. The amoebas we have passing for politicians today won't touch any sort of regulation with that statistic. Too worried of being labelled a racist, or being anti-immigration. Looks like Uber is here to stay for the foreseeable future.

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

I tried to get my first taxi ever in Cornwall only last week; wanting to go six miles.  I called up and the first slot they could give me was 1hr 45mins later.

"We can walk it in that" I thought.  So we did.

Business opportunity in Cornwall near Frank. I will be putting posters up on my holiday in Morocco! Free explanations of tax credits, child benefits and housing benefits. :P

Our local taxi firm are simply too expensive (I think last time I used them is was about £25 for a 10 minute journey after midnight) so I don't use taxis.

However my kids are great fans. If there are four of them it is as cheap as getting the bus. And they are very efficient.

I have always tried to avoid them but in the Orlando at Christmas trying to get a cab. I finally got one that could come in about an hour (through the restaurant). My son whipped out his phone and had a very efficient Uber with us in a few minutes. It did convert me.

I use Uber a fair bit and find them very convenient. No having to talk to anyone on the phone, you can see where your taxi is while you're waiting, no faffing about with money, rarely having to wait for more than a few minutes. In comparison we were in a small town in Yorkshire last week with one taxi firm. Got to the station and there were no taxis for 45 minutes, they were 15 minutes late to pick us up the next morning (luckily we were warned about this by the hotel so booked them to come early) and weren't answering the phone and then they actually picked us up at the time we booked to go home which meant we had to sit in the cold for 30 mins.

13 minutes ago, This Time said:

I use Uber a fair bit and find them very convenient. No having to talk to anyone on the phone, you can see where your taxi is while you're waiting, no faffing about with money, rarely having to wait for more than a few minutes

Pubs round here have a preferred taxi to call. They do the ringing and you get told when your taxi is there. 

We have Uber in Edinburgh, the only evidence I have for this is seeing loads of minicabs with the minicab company logo AND an Uber sticker, I wouldn't use them. I like our proper black taxi cabs. I only get maybe 5-10 taxis a year, only ever if I'm drinking or late for something important. Only ever used a private hire firm when I was younger- we used a company which always sent an unmarked Merc. We used them for going out for months, until they sent a Vauxhall one night, pfft!

Edited by Carl Fimble
an attempt at deshitifying it. FAIL

Here we go, Uber are attempting to solve their driving problem in conjunction with a Chinese car manufacturer, sorry Volvo cars who in reality are Chinese.

https://www.media.volvocars.com/global/en-gb/media/pressreleases/216738/volvo-cars-to-supply-tens-of-thousands-of-autonomous-drive-compatible-cars-to-uber

Hey presto, no third world immigrants required, no knowledge to learn, cut out the driver, kill off the competition from small businesses and hey presto global corporate domination is yours.

jpg

Oh look, another big fat Uber story, as the power crazed corporate scum get caught out yet again.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/nov/22/uber-scrutiny-data-breach-hacking

“Uber’s announcement about a concealed data breach last October raises huge concerns around its data protection policies and ethics,” James Dipple-Johnstone of the UK’s Information Commissioner’s Office

US Federal Trade Comission stated “Failure to notify can subject Uber to substantial monetary damages, especially if it was intentional,”

Which it was, as Uber paid the hackers $100,000 to destroy the information and keep the breach quiet.

Another unreported story (must be the advertising revenue) about Uber and US muscle corporation management.

Uber agrees to settle case filed by Indian rape victim, "Uber executives duplicitously and publicly decried the rape, expressing sympathy for the plaintiff, and shock and regret at the violent attack, while privately speculating, as outlandish as it is, that she had colluded with a rival company to harm Uber's business," the lawsuit said. Uber then "unlawfully" obtained her medical records and engaged in generating an offensive conspiracy theory about the brutal incident.

http://www.businesstoday.in/current/economy-politics/uber-agrees-to-settle-case-filed-by-indian-rape-victim/story/265614.html

Uber log continues as the city of York refuses them an licence.

Saf Din, chair of the York Hackney Carriage Drivers Association, told the meeting: “Whilst York only has a handful of drivers licensed, Uber are doing what they are very good at – and that is systematically abusing the local laws and explicitly looking for loopholes by the use of out-of-town vehicles.

“Many have no knowledge of our city, lack of respect for our roads, illegally plying for hire on taxi ranks and breaking our traffic laws repeatedly.”

Jim Love, chairman of Fleetways Taxis, gave councillors examples of Uber journeys including

• York station to Dunnington – should be 5.5 miles, Uber told driver to take a route of 10.1 miles
  • York station to Melrosegate – should be 3 miles, Uber route was 10 miles
  • Water End to Low Ousegate – should be 1.3 miles, Uber charged more than £60 for a £7 fare.

“If I told my drivers to go the wrong way round, we’d lose our licence,” Jim said.

https://www.yorkmix.com/life/cheers-ring-uber-loses-york-licence/

Nice photo of British Cabbies.

york-taxi-drivers-uber-meeting-1-1300x86

7 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Uber log continues as the city of York refuses them an licence.

Saf Din, chair of the York Hackney Carriage Drivers Association, told the meeting: “Whilst York only has a handful of drivers licensed, Uber are doing what they are very good at – and that is systematically abusing the local laws and explicitly looking for loopholes by the use of out-of-town vehicles.

“Many have no knowledge of our city, lack of respect for our roads, illegally plying for hire on taxi ranks and breaking our traffic laws repeatedly.”

Jim Love, chairman of Fleetways Taxis, gave councillors examples of Uber journeys including

• York station to Dunnington – should be 5.5 miles, Uber told driver to take a route of 10.1 miles
  • York station to Melrosegate – should be 3 miles, Uber route was 10 miles
  • Water End to Low Ousegate – should be 1.3 miles, Uber charged more than £60 for a £7 fare.

“If I told my drivers to go the wrong way round, we’d lose our licence,” Jim said.

https://www.yorkmix.com/life/cheers-ring-uber-loses-york-licence/

Nice photo of British Cabbies.

york-taxi-drivers-uber-meeting-1-1300x86

Has the chair of the cabby association been mistyped?  Should it not be Dahn  Sarf? (As in black cabby) 

On 7/6/2017 at 11:28, Frank Hovis said:

I tried to get my first taxi ever in Cornwall only last week; wanting to go six miles.  I called up and the first slot they could give me was 1hr 45mins later.

"We can walk it in that" I thought.  So we did.

They used to say the same about the buses - still do.  Now it's the taxis.  Another symptom of increasing congestion.

Edited by twocents