• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Dave Bloke

Winter car prep done

Ok prepped the car for winter this pm. Silicon sprayed the hinges and locks. Waxoyled the running gear and underbody. Put the snow tires on. I think that should do it. Got to get a chip in the window seen to before it grows bigger. Will check the tire pressures during the week.

12 minutes ago, Dave Bloke said:

Ok prepped the car for winter this pm. Silicon sprayed the hinges and locks. Waxoyled the running gear and underbody. Put the snow tires on. I think that should do it. Got to get a chip in the window seen to before it grows bigger. Will check the tire pressures during the week.

thought they were just a celebrity news magazine, Ok doing car maintenance now ?

8 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

Changed the air freshener.

Put the dashboard clock back to Greenwich Mean Time.

Emptied the ashtrays of toffee wrappers.

Oiled the brake discs to stop them squealing.

Sorted.

Moved as far South as possible.

Should do the trick.

3 minutes ago, The Generation Game 🙌 said:

@Dave Bloke and I are both further south than you and it doesn't do the trick. Not having a car did the trick for me though. 

I did qualify my statement with 'as possible'. The definer of possibility being the good Mrs Flight.

Not needing to go to the office from Jan-March might be my trump card.

1 hour ago, Dave Bloke said:

For us chancers DB..get ready to quote yourself with a smirk on any winter driving follies we quote.

😀

2 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

Are winter tyres a thing at all in the UK? I’ve driven cars in Canada that have them and I’ve got to say they make a huge difference in snow and ice. 

Yep..  got winter tyres on my wife's car.

She does such low speed/mileage we just leave them on all year.  I figure the time your tyres are most likely to let you down is snow/ice/wet and they seem pretty good for all of them. 

34 minutes ago, Libspero said:

Yep..  got winter tyres on my wife's car.

She does such low speed/mileage we just leave them on all year.  I figure the time your tyres are most likely to let you down is snow/ice/wet and they seem pretty good for all of them. 

I think the main drawback is that they’re soft so wear down quickly (and aren’t great at high speed). As you say though, your wife goes slowly and doesn’t do a big mileage so that’s not a concern.

56 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

Are winter tyres a thing at all in the UK? I’ve driven cars in Canada that have them and I’ve got to say they make a huge difference in snow and ice. 

Not legally required, but some people have them if they have a spare set of wheels and somewhere to store them.

I am moving over to Michelin XClimate+'s (on the front only at the mo, FWD.) as I don't want to arse around swapping wheels or fitting chains. They are 4-season tyres. How well they grip and wear remains to be seen.

44 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

Not legally required, but some people have them if they have a spare set of wheels and somewhere to store them.

I am moving over to Michelin XClimate+'s (on the front only at the mo, FWD.) as I don't want to arse around swapping wheels or fitting chains. They are 4-season tyres. How well they grip and wear remains to be seen.

I have them on my van. Very good indeed. A definite improvement on ordinary tyres. 

7 hours ago, TheBlueCat said:

I think the main drawback is that they’re soft so wear down quickly (and aren’t great at high speed). As you say though, your wife goes slowly and doesn’t do a big mileage so that’s not a concern.

When run year round, one shouldn't run full winter tyres down to near the legal limit, but replace them early - braking distances in warm wet weather already aren't as good as summer or all season tyres, and a lack of tread to disperse the water will further increase braking distances / risk of aquaplaning. 

In the UK, I'd prefer to run all season tyres and keep a pair of autosocks in the boot for extreme cases (much lighter than chains).

11 hours ago, Happy Renting said:

Changed the air freshener.

Put the dashboard clock back to Greenwich Mean Time.

Emptied the ashtrays of toffee wrappers.

Oiled the brake discs to stop them squealing.

Sorted.

Emptied the glove box of blackcurrant foxes "mints" .. oh they didn't last long.

4 hours ago, assetrichcashpoor said:

We’re getting some winter tyres for my wife’s car. We live up a steep hill and I’ve been recommended to get some for winter. For a set of steel wheels and tyres it’ll be about £600 all in. 

Make sure you store the spare set properly - not edge on (they will could get flat spots from being in the same orientation for extended period), also protect them from the sun and weather, they will still carry on degrading at the same rate chemically as they would on the car otherwise.

14 minutes ago, snaga said:

I'm waiting for Christmas, then I can buy Mrs Snaga some anti-freeze, and maybe some gloves if she behaves.

I bought 5L of screenwash yesterday..... because the screenwash is empty and the price of 1L was too low for a card transaction.

3 hours ago, HighYield said:

When run year round, one shouldn't run full winter tyres down to near the legal limit, but replace them early - braking distances in warm wet weather already aren't as good as summer or all season tyres, and a lack of tread to disperse the water will further increase braking distances / risk of aquaplaning. 

In the UK, I'd prefer to run all season tyres and keep a pair of autosocks in the boot for extreme cases (much lighter than chains).

A few recent reviews of all season tires got what car magazine concluding they are really just winter tires but amended so they drive fine in the summer too. 

The ones I have got #1 place and apparently beat full spec winter tires in snow tests even though they are "all season". Will find their name later. Seem to drive just fine in non winter conditions.