• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

I reckon the police have a horribly difficult job. There are lots of reasons why they might be tempted to not do their jobs to the best of their ability.

However it's important that the population have some trust in them. This thread is for the stories of the bad police, we should probably have another for when they've been outstandingly good, I'm sure it happens sometimes.

I'll start off with this jolly tale of a fat drunken pig of a man who murdered two of his girlfriends and would have got away with it but for the persistence of the family of the second one.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-sussex-40511194

I think they get a lot of shit, from the public, from the scumbags they have to deal with and from their bosses and the politicians.

I saw today (in Morningside, one of the poshest bits of Edinburgh) a poster advertising a "meet your local police" kinda thing, some twat had written ACAB (All Cops Are Bastards) over it, with the A's in circles all anarchy like.

It's true some of them do a terrible job, I do feel for them though, I wouldn't be a policeman for all the weed in Jamaica!

This one was a catalogue of incompetence from start to finish.  The police had to be told what to do and even then often ignored the advice.  Four killings when he should have been stopped after one:

First killing:

Walgate's university friends pressed the police to do more.

"We had to badger them and almost feed them ideas," says China Dunning. "I'd be like, 'have you looked [through] his laptop'... and they'd be like 'it's a really expensive procedure to do that'."

Kiera Brennan says the same: 'They fobbed us off constantly… They kept saying 'we're going to, we're going to' and then didn't. And every time we phoned the police officer at the time who was dealing with us he was either not there or someone would take a message and he'd never call us back."

Second and third murders; both found in same cemetery; then the coroner poinst out how useless the police have been:

But the pathologist noted that "there was bruising below both arms in the armpit regions which is unlikely to have been caused accidentally and may have resulted from manual handling of the deceased, most likely prior to death".

Senior Barking and Dagenham detective, DCI Tony Kirk, told a local paper the deaths of Kovari and Whitworth were "unusual and slightly confusing" but not suspicious.

The inquests returned open verdicts, with coroner Nadia Persaud saying she had "some concerns surrounding Daniel's death which have not been answered by the police investigation".

The coroner said that "most concerning are the findings by the pathologist of manual handling prior to his death" and noted that "the bed sheet that he was found wrapped in was not forensically analysed, and the bottle of GBL which was found near him was also not tested for fingerprints or DNA".

She asked a detective why the bed sheet had not been tested.

He replied: "It is a consideration, but the circumstances at the time indicated towards no other external parties being involved at the time. The potential outcome of having the blanket analysed, the bed sheet analysed, could have been to identify maybe where he had been the night before, who had contact with him. But it wasn't submitted."

Even after this exchange, no tests were done.

There had been multiple opportunities to stop Port in his tracks.

Instead, he went on to kill a fourth man.

What a bunch of Charlies.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-38045742

10 minutes ago, One percent said:

Maybe in the series heartbeat but real life? Probably not 

It's crime fiction that is the big problem here; we see the police as indefatigably examining every possible lead in the search to get to the truth on the box or in a paperback and think that it is rooted in reality.  Whereas with the exception of some very high profile cases it's all about cobbling together enough evidence in order to persuade the CPS to take on the prosecution then moving on.

But if you burden the police with ever more priorities and administration whilst reducing their numbers than what sort of service can you realistically expect but a substandard one?  How much police time is going into historical child abuse investigations for example?  And because of that what are they not doing?

Then add in this week's new priority to take stalking seriously (which, silly me, I assumed that they already did) so now diverting resources onto this.

It's daft, it makes no sense to stretch police resources this thinly and I put that down to governmental stupidity rather than to any more sinister motivation.

This resigning officer going public brought the reality of modern policing home to me.  Not fit for purpose:

She revealed she was forced to cover her Mid Devon patch with just one other response officer and they were always forced to work alone.

They would also often be diverted to emergency incidents in other areas - leaving the patch with no emergency cover at all.

'If I was a member of the public, I would be concerned. How are we able to serve the public if we are not mentally able top do it? There is not enough of us.

'I am gutted that I am being forced out of a job that I love, and I was bloody good at.

'This is only going to get worse unless they stop the cuts and put people back on the front -line.

'Every year things have got worse and more and more cuts are made. I was becoming the old sweat in the corner; miserable but not doing anything about it.

'Instead of just sitting there in silence I wanted to take control of my life. There is just not enough of us. We are drowning and you can not function.

3DE4E9D900000578-4274762-image-m-26_1488

And I can't even blame Blair for this one; it's down to Theresa May.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4274762/Police-poster-girl-posts-resignation-letter-Facebook.html

27 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

Had a intimidatory road 'rage' incident once. Lowered chav mobile, ss exhaust, blacked out windows etc went at ~50mph through suburbia going the wrong side of mini roundabouts etc to pass traffic. I happened to catch up eventually at traffic lights on the outskirts of the city. Chav saw me write down his registration and then tailgated me about a foot off my bumper for about 20 minutes, through numerous CCTV areas, and he wasn't giving up. Not wanting to lead him to my destination I drove into the City's police station car park, got out and ran quickly up the steps to the front desk. Grabbed the duty officers' attention and quickly explained what had happened and said the driver was outside in the parking lot.

"What do you expect me to do about it, Sir" was the response I got.

On another occasion I saw a woman being bundled against her will into the back of a Transit van by 4 blokes. There was no license plate. I drove around looking for a police car and found one about 5 minutes later. Gave the details or when and where. Total disinterest "There's not much we can do without a registration, Sir"

I have had a stalker for 7 years, a seriously unhinged person. Until a physical attack, the police aren't interested.

After experiencing police brutality personally, I don't engage any more.

Try making a formal complaint about their lack of action.  In the light of this you'll probbaly get your own personal PC:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-40431544

(NB - not minimising it in case it reads that way, just that they are so PR driven you should get some action taken this time)

2 hours ago, SpectrumFX said:

I'd like to think there was a time when the police would have helped him

:CryBaby:

Yes. I would like to think there was a time when we all would have helped him.

Hopefully we will get those days back.

That is such a horrendous story, awful in the extreme. More should have been made of that whole thing really, and Jimmy Saville and associates.

13 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Try making a formal complaint about their lack of action.  In the light of this you'll probbaly get your own personal PC:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-40431544

(NB - not minimising it in case it reads that way, just that they are so PR driven you should get some action taken this time)

Thanks, you are probably right

I saw that BBC article at the time and thought that I wasn't surprised at the poor woman's plight. Until you've dealt with a sociopath (who you worry may be really be a psychopath) it's difficult to understand, so I'm not surprised at the Police's lack of engagement.

these statistics are astonishing

• One in five women and one in ten men will be affected by stalking in their lifetime
  • According to the Crime Survey for England and Wales 4.6% of women and 2.7% of men aged 16-59 were victims in 2015/16 alone
  • In the year to June 2016, the police recorded 4,168 stalking offences, an increase of 32% since the previous year (3,166)

There are a lot of unhinged people around.

Edited by Hopeful

I'd like to be Copper, i enjoy bum rushing scumbags. 

C.I.D would probably be my forte though as i have a nose for establishing the truth without letting emotion / vested interests dictate. 

Sadly these days it's all gone PC and now they want degree holders only so they can get SJW minded enforcement drones.

Example: SO19 waxed an armed Mirpuri Heroin dealer on the M62,

Protests break out in Bradford

West midlands police start tweeting they they "rushed to help out with the protest" 

The deal should have been "step over the line and you get your skull cracked" 

Edited by WorkingPoor

I've got a really useless police story. When I was 19 (I'm a female if anyone didn't know, not that it necessarily matters), I was studying at York tech.  It started snowing and so I left early and headed back over the moors to Whitby. For anyone that doesn't know that road, it can be nasty in the winter. So, I got to Pickering which is the town before the moors proper starts.  Pulled into the police station and asked what the road was like.

the copper was the MOST unhelpful twat I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. His response was I don't know.  I pushed and said, wel, you must have some idea. Should I go over or try and find accommodation. I can't advise was the response.

it was horrendous. A whiteout in parts where I could not tell road from sky.  Apparently I was the last car over before they shut the road. 

Ive had little time for coppers since and would not trust them. 

10 hours ago, SpectrumFX said:

I'd like to think there was a time when the police would have helped him

:CryBaby:

There was.  I have several police going back 3 generations and they had plenty of stories about rough justice when needed.

However, they also made it very clear that the police force was there to protect the interests of TPTB, not to act in the interests of the public at all times, and that when the two were in conflict, the police would be under orders to crack heads.

14 hours ago, Hopeful said:

Thanks, you are probably right

I saw that BBC article at the time and thought that I wasn't surprised at the poor woman's plight. Until you've dealt with a sociopath (who you worry may be really be a psychopath) it's difficult to understand, so I'm not surprised at the Police's lack of engagement.

these statistics are astonishing

• One in five women and one in ten men will be affected by stalking in their lifetime
  • According to the Crime Survey for England and Wales 4.6% of women and 2.7% of men aged 16-59 were victims in 2015/16 alone
  • In the year to June 2016, the police recorded 4,168 stalking offences, an increase of 32% since the previous year (3,166)

There are a lot of unhinged people around.

Unhinged and with a lot of time oftime on their i.e. getting money for doing nothing.

Even if I was inclided to stalk, I woud not have to do it - up, sort kids outs, work, home, tea, do some stuff, bed, sleep.

16 hours ago, swissy_fit said:

I reckon the police have a horribly difficult job. There are lots of reasons why they might be tempted to not do their jobs to the best of their ability.

However it's important that the population have some trust in them. This thread is for the stories of the bad police, we should probably have another for when they've been outstandingly good, I'm sure it happens sometimes.

I'll start off with this jolly tale of a fat drunken pig of a man who murdered two of his girlfriends and would have got away with it but for the persistence of the family of the second one.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-sussex-40511194

'An inquest into Ms Nicholson's death ruled she died accidentally after Trigg claimed he inadvertently rolled onto her in his sleep while they were on a sofa.'

A full grown woman? Really?? What did he roll on herwith - pillow for 10 minutes?

28 minutes ago, spygirl said:

'An inquest into Ms Nicholson's death ruled she died accidentally after Trigg claimed he inadvertently rolled onto her in his sleep while they were on a sofa.'

A full grown woman? Really?? What did he roll on herwith - pillow for 10 minutes?

Well exactly. His claim was laughable but he actually got away with it, initially. 

A few guys I was in school with became coppers - decent guys - but they all got out as soon as they could find work elsewhere or they moved to Oz or Canada and joined their police. The only guy I know still in it retires age 52 in a year's time but the last few years he has been suffering throat / stomach problems. Stress I reckon. Was involved in investigating other coppers.

Oddly enough, the dating sites seem to be full of women who are ex's of coppers. I dated one once and she was seriously mixed up. A few weeks into the dating she kept insisting on wanting to go to the Gwent Police ball. Turned out her ex was a traffic cop. I walked away at that point. Several other women I have met via dating sites have been ex's of coppers and they have been messed up - either badly treated by their ex's and unable to move past it, or badly treated by their ex's but still yearning to get back with their bullying, cheating ex who just happens to be a copper.

There are about a 100,000 police in the UK. I am sure, like all large organisations, they have their mix of good, bad, incompetent and doownright evil. I think most are basically decent people but I think the job changes many - they either begin seeing everyone as a villain or they just become resigned to doing as little as possible.

17 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

It's crime fiction that is the big problem here; we see the police as indefatigably examining every possible lead in the search to get to the truth on the box or in a paperback and think that it is rooted in reality.  Whereas with the exception of some very high profile cases it's all about cobbling together enough evidence in order to persuade the CPS to take on the prosecution then moving on.

But if you burden the police with ever more priorities and administration whilst reducing their numbers than what sort of service can you realistically expect but a substandard one?  How much police time is going into historical child abuse investigations for example?  And because of that what are they not doing?

Then add in this week's new priority to take stalking seriously (which, silly me, I assumed that they already did) so now diverting resources onto this.

It's daft, it makes no sense to stretch police resources this thinly and I put that down to governmental stupidity rather than to any more sinister motivation.

3DE4E9D900000578-4274762-image-m-26_1488

And I can't even blame Blair for this one; it's down to Theresa May.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4274762/Police-poster-girl-posts-resignation-letter-Facebook.html

Well thats harts setup to lie - x axis does not start at 0.

Same number of police officers as 20 years ago.

Why was there such a miassive incrwease 2002-2010? Brown and his every one work for me! thang.

I've a had a few interfaces with the police, all as the victim of a crime. There was one positive experience when my car got broken into in Cardiff, and they took it seriously, dusted for finger prints etc 

My first experience of the police was when I spent my first and only evening out in Nottingham. I came back to my car to find the window had been broken and a bag containing Cadbury chocolate fingers had been stolen along with the radio. I rang up the police, to be given the helpful advice that I shouldn't have parked on that street as it was notorious for cars being broken into. Call me daft, but I thought the police were responsible for stopping crime. If they know the bad spots, that should make it easy for them to do something about it. 

Next incident was in Chester. I was outside my house talking to neighbours when a youth walked up to a car and broke off the wing mirrors. He then set off down a canal path with no exits for about half a mile. We rung the police who couldn't be less interested. Anyway, later that week we had a police sergeant come knocking on our doors because it turns out a WPCs car was vandalised, and they wanted to put a CCTV camera on our houses to monitor this WPCs car, to catch the perpetrator next time. It was astonishing the difference in approach they take when one of theirs is the victim compared with if they think it is a member of the public. 

Most recently, Mrs Imp witnessed some road rage outside a school. She went to the local police station which is the main one in the county to report the incident. She goes to the desk, and the person behind the desk can't help her. There is a phone in the corner of the reception, which she had to use to report the incident. The police station is 5 minutes walk from where the incident took place, but she is trying to describe the incident to someone who has no idea about the local geography. She is then invited make an appointment to make a statement. At a police station 20 miles away, while stood in the main county police station, when she needs to be picking up or dropping off children at school. Eventually they agree to come and visit her at home to take a statement. She waits in and they never turn up. 

8 hours ago, One percent said:

I've got a really useless police story. When I was 19 (I'm a female if anyone didn't know, not that it necessarily matters), I was studying at York tech.  It started snowing and so I left early and headed back over the moors to Whitby. For anyone that doesn't know that road, it can be nasty in the winter. So, I got to Pickering which is the town before the moors proper starts.  Pulled into the police station and asked what the road was like.

the copper was the MOST unhelpful twat I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. His response was I don't know.  I pushed and said, wel, you must have some idea. Should I go over or try and find accommodation. I can't advise was the response.

it was horrendous. A whiteout in parts where I could not tell road from sky.  Apparently I was the last car over before they shut the road. 

Ive had little time for coppers since and would not trust them. 

I am having difficulty with this.

A blizzard, you call into the Police station before the moor starts.

How did you expect the copper in the station to know the condition of the road over the moor?

10 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Well thats harts setup to lie - x axis does not start at 0.

Same number of police officers as 20 years ago.

Why was there such a miassive incrwease 2002-2010? Brown and his every one work for me! thang.

There is a report written by the House of Commons library which you should be able to find on Google. It is about the historical number of police since the 1960s. Essentially, the number of police per head of population has always had an upward trend and has just about doubled since the 60s. There are of course wobbles, and the graph shown above is just one of those wobbles. It is also worth noting that the crime rate correlates closely with the number of police, just about doubling since the 60s!