• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
man o' the year

New York advice

We are having a stop over on the way out to Seattle(and on the way back) as flights to New York were so much cheaper. I would be grateful for any advice in relation to places to stay and things to do while we are there. I have only bee to the West coast before but keen to make the most of our total of three and half days in New York. We are a family of 4 (daighters aged 14 and 17).

Thanks in anticipation.

9 minutes ago, man o' the year said:

We are having a stop over on the way out to Seattle(and on the way back) as flights to New York were so much cheaper. I would be grateful for any advice in relation to places to stay and things to do while we are there. I have only bee to the West coast before but keen to make the most of our total of three and half days in New York. We are a family of 4 (daighters aged 14 and 17).

Thanks in anticipation.

Oooooh... That's going to cost!

I suggest telling them that all shops are shut for the weekend for starters.

I personally thing ground zero is a must. Some may disagree.

14 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Oooooh... That's going to cost!

I suggest telling them that all shops are shut for the weekend for starters.

I personally thing ground zero is a must. Some may disagree.

Closing down our hotel will be the biggest cost but we havent had a holiday for so many years and see so little of one another at the moment and I wanted to see the eclipse!

3 minutes ago, man o' the year said:

Closing down our hotel will be the biggest cost but we havent had a holiday for so many years and see so little of one another at the moment and I wanted to see the eclipse!

You want to see the eclipse from Seattle?  Good luck...

4 minutes ago, man o' the year said:

Lol. No we will be driving across to the Tetons and Yellowsone and pick up the eclipse on route.

My folks are seeing it somewhere in the middle of Wyoming I think.  They are slightly miffed that their American flight is being done via BA.

Stay outside of Manhattan to eat , drink and do stuff. A lot cheaper and still good. I've only been a few times though so no expert. So easy to get in and out in the subway it's a no brainer. 

I got a 5-day NY pass.  It seemed to be good value (they also do a 3 day one and seems to be on sale today).

https://www.newyorkpass.com/En/

If you are going to go up one skyscraper I would recommend Top of the Rock (Rockerfellar centre) over the Empire State building. Advantages include: shorter queues, cheaper (I think), better location next to the park and a view of the Empire State building. I went up just before sunset and got the benefit of seeing in during the day, the night and a nice sunset over the Hudson.

Didn't mention time of year ?

If Autumn/Winter wrap up warm NY can be freezing cold even on a bright day.

Best advice I was ever given for NY is even if you think you are on the brink of needing a #2 or with 2 teenage girls, even a #1 - While you see a chance - take it.

The public provision is brutal in its scarcity.

Department stores, Barnes & Noble etc, McDonalds etc, bars etc all good stops but you can find yourself in the desert if not careful.

4 minutes ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

Didn't mention time of year ?

If Autumn/Winter wrap up warm NY can be freezing cold even on a bright day.

Best advice I was ever given for NY is even if you think you are on the brink of needing a #2 or with 2 teenage girls, even a #1 - While you see a chance - take it.

The public provision is brutal in its scarcity.

Department stores, Barnes & Noble etc, McDonalds etc, bars etc all good stops but you can find yourself in the desert if not careful.

August.

That's a great time to go. 

Cherry pick the usual stuff - its good to save time when you can. Personally, thought the full boat trip around Manhattan was a bit dull,  the free Staten ferry was all we needed.

Probably easier to think of stuff wouldn't do - Katz Deli for one. Empire State had to, TOTR better and quicker, one at night one at day some say, others say go near dusk see both in one go.

If you are aiming at Broadway show, depending on what it is, might be unobtainable ie probably Hamilton, best to book before travelling, or if something random TKTS on the day - matinees often better availability than evenings. 

1 minute ago, man o' the year said:

Any recoomends in accommodation. As a hotelier I will not go the airbnb route on principle.

Nope. I stayed at the massive hotel Pennsylvania next to Penn station. Good location at a reasonable price but very shabby and probably quite loud traffic if you are on one of the lower floors and want the window open. 

I would just suggest going on one of the comparison sites. 

14 minutes ago, man o' the year said:

Any recoomends in accommodation. As a hotelier I will not go the airbnb route on principle.

We have stayed at The London and it was superb. But that was when it was 2 dollars to the £. Bit pricey now.

If you are carnivores, I would really recommend a meal at Uncle Jack's Steakhouse. Just go very hungry and only order one side between four of you!

4 hours ago, The Generation Game said:

I would recommend a bike ride around Central Park. One thing that opened since I visited was the "High Line". Might be worth a look.

Good call. Central Park bike ride was one of the best bits of our stay as far as my teenage kids are concerned. Can be done in an hour.

40 minutes ago, man o' the year said:

Hesitate to recommend an hotel to an hotelier, but we stayed at The Iroquois. Not cheap (can probably get a deal if you call), but decent value for a great location.

42 minutes ago, The Generation Game said:

Nope. I stayed at the massive hotel Pennsylvania next to Penn station. Good location at a reasonable price but very shabby and probably quite loud traffic if you are on one of the lower floors and want the window open. 

I would just suggest going on one of the comparison sites. 

Stayed here twice. For the price it's hard to find anything close that central. Better staying out if Manhattan. 

But the Penn is fine if you are looking for basic and right in the middle of everything for decent prices.

If only doing one tall building, I'd do the one world trade center. Pre book it, for the opening time or just after. Obviously, you can do the 911 stuff before or after. 

All of the major museums are excellent. Again, we pre booked and were there at opening time. These places get very busy later on. Pop into Grand central station. Shame not to see that if you're in Manhattan. Central Park of course. Next time we will pre book a show. I know everyone talks about those TKTS outlets, but the queues were ridiculous, so we didn't bother. 

I've only been once. That was last Christmas. Six nights. Would happily have stayed another six. 

I will be there again. 

Consider booking the Gabby Cabby to take you on a tour. I have no idea how much he charges but he used to be on Fivelie at night many years ago and he would talk about showing people the real NY. Interesting guy.

http://www.gabby.com/

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g60763-d2225630-Reviews-Gabby_Cabby-New_York_City_New_York.html

Oh, about £400 - but that is for a taxi full of people.

18 minutes ago, Uptherebels said:

If only doing one tall building, I'd do the one world trade center. Pre book it, for the opening time or just after. Obviously, you can do the 911 stuff before or after. 

All of the major museums are excellent. Again, we pre booked and were there at opening time. These places get very busy later on. Pop into Grand central station. Shame not to see that if you're in Manhattan. Central Park of course. Next time we will pre book a show. I know everyone talks about those TKTS outlets, but the queues were ridiculous, so we didn't bother. 

I've only been once. That was last Christmas. Six nights. Would happily have stayed another six. 

I will be there again. 

Ah, that hadn't been built when I visited. The wife keeps pestering me to go back. My favourite part of the city was Central Park. So much nicer than the London parks.

10 minutes ago, The Generation Game said:

Ah, that hadn't been built when I visited. The wife keeps pestering me to go back. My favourite part of the city was Central Park. So much nicer than the London parks.

I liked the park too. Was middle of winter though, so very different feel to how it must be in the summer. We were luck with the weather. Blue skies and sunshine. Cold but not too cold. 

We did the world trade centre on Christmas day. As I've now done that, I'll do the Empire State or TOTR  next time. Will also do the walk over the Brooklyn bridge too. Just ran out of time at Christmas. Shopping not my thing, but obviously it's plentiful. Macys was a disappointment. Lord and Taylor, and Saks were brilliant. Magical place at Christmas. And I don't even like Christmas. Or magic! 

We've decided never to spend Christmas at home ever again.