• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Rare Bear

thinkblackafrica.info scam?

Just receiced an email telling me that my order is to be dispatched to me.

They have to forename right but no surname, they have the street but no house number, they have the phone number and they have the post code.

As I have never heard of them I assume that it is a scam.

Intriguingly when I try to go to the website I get redirected to a government page about Outlook 2013.

The details for that domain name are:

Registrant Name: Contact Privacy Inc. Customer 0129182542
Registrant Organization: Contact Privacy Inc. Customer 0129182542
Registrant Street: 96 Mowat Ave
Registrant City: Toronto
Registrant State/Province: ON
Registrant Postal Code: M6K3M1
Registrant Country: CA
Registrant Phone: +1.4165385457

Looks like a scam to me. Charities and businesses don't hide their registrant information with domain privacy.

If you're concerned about your details having been compromised, put your email address in here:

https://haveibeenpwned.com/

.. and see if your data has been involved in any security breaches.

3 minutes ago, DTMark said:

Intriguingly when I try to go to the website I get redirected to a government page about Outlook 2013.

Looks like a scam to me. Charities and businesses don't hide their registrant information with domain privacy.

If you're concerned about your details having been compromised, put your email address in here:

Just put my email into https://haveibeenpwned.com/ and it comes back clear,

Interestingly I got the email shortly after buying insurance for a trip to Ireland on the AA web site.

12 minutes ago, DTMark said:

Thank you Mark, I have been pwned. 

I'm off to change my passwords!

Joy!

If you've ever used Twitter, Linked In, Adobe or Dropbox, to name but a few, it is worth checking. Those were high-profile breaches of many accounts.

Don't use the same password for multiple websites. Generate a random password for each site and use KeePass to keep a copy of your encrypted password file on your computer.

That way you can be just like me - able to log into bugger all when you're not at your computer and want to look at something on your mobile phone.

Edited by DTMark

7 minutes ago, DTMark said:

If you've ever used Twitter, Linked In, Adobe or Dropbox, to name but a few, it is worth checking. Those were high-profile breaches of many accounts.

Don't use the same password for multiple websites. Generate a random password for each site and use KeePass to keep a copy of your encrypted password file on your computer.

That way you can be just like me - able to log into bugger all when you're not at your computer and want to look at something on your mobile phone.

Excellent advice, thanks again!

I'm not great with passwords at the moment.

Could I do not do the bit in bold but keep my password list on my phone though? 

Just now, Carl Fimble said:

Excellent advice, thanks again!

I'm not great with passwords at the moment.

Could I do not do the bit in bold but keep my password list on my phone though? 

Yes. However the key is to use a reputable, well-known app for your OS that stores the password list on your phone.

Not a cloud-based service. One of the big ones got hacked just recently. They're a bit of a target for attackers.. ;)

The other option is to use the same base password and add on a bit for each site i.e.

PinkHairdryer1234Amazon

PinkHardryer1234Facebook

etc

Alternatively, if you have your own domain, set it up as a catchall and then you can use amazon@johnsmith.co.uk etc as the login.

The advantage of this is you know where spammers get your name from.

36 minutes ago, DTMark said:

Charities and businesses don't hide their registrant information with domain privacy.

I do... I don't want Google connecting my Ltd company to all my sites and seeing how much I'm dominating the niche.

1 minute ago, Cunning Plan said:

The other option is to use the same base password and add on a bit for each site i.e.

PinkHairdryer1234Amazon

PinkHardryer1234Facebook

etc

Alternatively, if you have your own domain, set it up as a catchall and then you can use amazon@johnsmith.co.uk etc as the login.

The advantage of this is you know where spammers get your name from.

If you use gmail you can add + to the email address and it will work.

For example cunningplan+dosbods@gmail.com  will be delivered to cunningplan@gmail.com still, but with the +dosbods label attached.

41 minutes ago, DTMark said:

Funny enough, I just signed up with Dropbox yesterday. Seemed the easiest way to transfer some stuff to an iPad.

1 hour ago, Rare Bear said:

Just receiced an email telling me that my order is to be dispatched to me.

They have to forename right but no surname, they have the street but no house number, they have the phone number and they have the post code.

As I have never heard of them I assume that it is a scam.

got one yesterday.

Opened it on my phone.

None of the links or scripts worked.

Deleted.