• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

I’ve just about finished the South African one on the left it just tastes like weak port but to be fair I was fucked when I decided I liked port this tastes so shit I’m drinking it with a can of larger I’m hopeing the Chilean  one is better are there any tips do you have to work at wine or have I chosen badly you don’t chill red do you?  Still it’s not all bad I’ve just discovered dr who is on net flix I’m watching the episode when I good man goes to war aired 8 years ago 

35BC7B68-1FAA-47E3-B521-5E0DA7211E38.jpeg

9 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

I’ve just about finished the South African one on the left it just tastes like weak port but to be fair I was fucked when I decided I liked port this tastes so shit I’m drinking it with a can of larger I’m hopeing the Chilean  one is better are there any tips do you have to work at wine or have I chosen badly you don’t chill red do you?  Still it’s not all bad I’ve just discovered dr who is on net flix I’m watching the episode when I good man goes to war aired 8 years ago 

The malbec looks like a “good “ wine in that the bottle is slightly thicker glass. Doesnt mean that it’s any better but chances are it is. It is also chilean  which means it is pretty much nailed on to be good. It will be even more port like. 
enjoy 👍

3 minutes ago, One percent said:

The malbec looks like a “good “ wine in that the bottle is slightly thicker glass. Doesnt mean that it’s any better but chances are it is. It is also chilean  which means it is pretty much nailed on to be good. It will be even more port like. 
enjoy 👍

I don’t think I’m cut out to like wine but at least I’ve tried lol normaly larger or stout in the house or guiness in a pub I’m just trying to broaden my horizons 

I can't drink cheap red wine anymore as it all tastes like shit to me, whereas 10 -15 years ago I would be happy with most bottles around the £5 mark, £7 when feeling flush. Don't know if the quality of wine has gone down (or the value of the £ disguises the fact that £5 bottles today are like the £3 stuff back then), or of it's simply that I now have expensive taste?! o.O 

If you just want a dirinkable wine and not a snob, supermarket branded wines are always OK in my experience. Morrisons "The Best" have been particularly good

If I want something better to impress fellow diners then I'll pick a Spanish red marked "reserva".

28 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

Still it’s not all bad I’ve just discovered dr who is on net flix I’m watching the episode when I good man goes to war aired 8 years ago 

That's one of my favourite episodes! Didn't realise they were on Netflix

2 minutes ago, AlfredTheLittle said:

That's one of my favourite episodes! Didn't realise they were on Netflix

Watching let’s kill hitler now it’s not looking good for the Chilean I don’t have a corkscrew ffs I found out last week been cherry picking the best episodes

Edited by stokiescum

6 minutes ago, snaga said:

If you just want a dirinkable wine and not a snob, supermarket branded wines are always OK in my experience.

Yes, but if you're not sure you like wine at all, then probably better to splurge up to £15 on a really nice red, that way you'll know whether it's something you want to bother with at all (massively diminishing returns after about £20, imo). Then work down to a price point that still works for you. Even £12 will get you something really good.

2 minutes ago, LC1 said:

Yes, but if you're not sure you like wine at all, then probably better to splurge up to £15 on a really nice red, that way you'll know whether it's something you want to bother with at all (massively diminishing returns after about £20, imo). Then work down to a price point that still works for you. Even £12 will get you something really good.

It is all down to personal taste. I have tried some really expensive stuff and just didn't like it at all.

For a beginner, if you can find McGuigan black label red (somewhere around £5-£6 a bottle) it is a good place to start. Very, very easy drinking.

4 minutes ago, One percent said:

Yep. Im drinking that at the moment. Its grand for just over 3 quid a bottle. 

Yes but it takes years of practice to burn off your taste buds sufficient to master drinking such treats! ;)

4 minutes ago, LC1 said:

That’s my point I’m giving it a go I’ve always avoided it at weddings etc has it’s the first drink normaly and I’ve never been struck by it except for something called tigers milk 25 years ago which was evil mixed with tenants super 

45 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

I don't think any of us believe you are taking your new found Charming Man phase seriously until you know your Claret from your Beaujolais. 

1 minute ago, stokiescum said:

That’s my point I’m giving it a go I’ve always avoided it at weddings etc has it’s the first drink normaly and I’ve never been struck by it except for something called tigers milk 25 years ago which was evil mixed with tenants super 

You need to realise that there is no such thing as wine. 

I love red wine, but it has been known that if the only wine available is Cabernet Sauvignon, I will drink water.

You need to kiss a few frogs before you find what you like.

3 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

You need to realise that there is no such thing as wine. 

I love red wine, but it has been known that if the only wine available is Cabernet Sauvignon, I will drink water.

You need to kiss a few frogs before you find what you like.

Think I need a corkscrew before I embark on that quest but to be fair it’s not the only gay habit I’m giving a go I’ve got another dirty secret I’m not sure I can see the point of that either 

16 minutes ago, LC1 said:

Id put that £6 Carmenere up against many 15 quid bottles.

My taste tends to be in the middle where Red is concerned. I dont like pissy thin French plonk, nor do i like Rioja that you can stand a fork up in.

Chile and Argentina get it just right for me, regardless of cost.

Dont like Aussie reds either.

4 minutes ago, ccc said:

Primitivo is the wine of the day. Lovely stuff. From Puglia in Italy I think.

Primitivo is Italian Zinfandel. Very nice usually.

All I know about wine is that you know when you're drinking a good one.

My advice - get the Vivino app. I look a dick in the supermarket taking pics of the wine bottles, but if you get something that scores 4 or more on Vivino it's almost certainly going to be excellent. Aldi usually have two or three in this category at Christmas.

3 minutes ago, Bus Stop Boxer said:

Id put that £6 Carmenere up against many 15 quid bottles.

My taste tends to be in the middle where Red is concerned. I dont like pissy thin French plonk, nor do i like Rioja that you can stand a fork up in.

Chile and Argentina get it just right for me, regardless of cost.

Dont like Aussie reds either.

I'm with you on our South American friends.