• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

JoeDavola

The Gaming Thread

A thread to discuss gaming, old and new.

I don't play games too much any more but at the moment I'm playing Tetrisphere, a puzzle game on my HDMI-enabled N64. I only bought it recently, for about 3 quid in a second hand games shop in the coastal town of Newcastle in County Down, and it's a fantastic game. It's a game I never paid any attention to 20 years ago when the N64 was new....and now it's one of my favorites on the system. I happened to be spending a day with my folks in Newcastle when I found it; we used to holiday there when I was a kid, and it was odd to be there with my folks buying an N64 game.....like I'd gone back in time 20 plus years!

I also bought a black Wii U from Cex this weekend for £78:

image.png.62254ad39d70b02e5d30da2a93665b5c.png

....Mario Kart and Mario Maker for £10 a piece. I only play for 30 mins every now and then but I should be able to pick up a few games that are fun to dip into for not a lot of money for this.

Edited by JoeDavola

Not much of a gamer either any more but there are some good games out soon. The latest CoD isn't too bad either. 

Death Stranding looks a bit out there for me, but the one I really can't wait for is Last Of Us 2 in February.

On 20/11/2019 at 12:20, JoeDavola said:

Took you several days to come over and shit on this thread.

Getting slow in your old age.

Why all of a sudden is having a different opinion being referred to as ''shitting on a thread'' by you and a few others over recent weeks...? You are getting a bit ''snowflake'' here mate, to use the current vernacular.

Games are toys for children as far as I am concerned, and sitting in your bedroom playing them until three in the morning might explain your lack of experience of much more adult fun than gobbling a few Pacmen...

XYY

Edited by The XYY Man

1 hour ago, The XYY Man said:

Games are toys for children as far as I am concerned, and sitting in your bedroom playing them until three in the morning might explain your lack of experience of much more adult fun than gobbling a few Pacmen...

Games are entertainment, no more or less valid than sitting watching the telly, posting on DOSBODS, or whatever else you do in your spare time. I don't play them in my bedroom, nor do I play them in 3 in the morning. You just made that up because your full of shit.

Unless you spend all your free time as some great socialite and/or undertaking terribly interesting hobbies, which you fucking don't, then you are in no position to criticize the occasional half hour of Mario Kart.

Edited by JoeDavola

3 hours ago, JoeDavola said:

Games are entertainment, no more or less valid than sitting watching the telly, posting on DOSBODS, or whatever else you do in your spare time. I don't play them in my bedroom, nor do I play them in 3 in the morning. You just made that up because your full of shit.

Unless you spend all your free time as some great socialite and/or undertaking terribly interesting hobbies, which you fucking don't, then you are in no position to criticize the occasional half hour of Mario Kart.

Games are shite, a total, complete and utter waste of time. And that's my opinion. Doesn't make it any less or more valid than any fucker else's.

I do not expect to convince you otherwise - nor will you convince me - so why start kicking me all of a sudden after we've got on so well for the majority of the time that this forum has existed...?

Is it that you've figured that XYY baiting is a very popular sport on here because every cunt who does it knows that sooner or later I will bite - and that joining-in makes you a better forum member, and one of the ''in-crowd''...?

Well just you listen to me pal, running with the crowd will get you fucking nowhere in life my friend - and that's the best advice you'll get on here for free off any cunt...

XYY

Edited by The XYY Man

On 21/11/2019 at 20:17, JoeDavola said:

Probably shouldn't try to explain twitch to him.  

On 20/11/2019 at 00:16, The XYY Man said:

No man of any repute plays video games.

Put your joystick down, get hold of your bollocks and get out there into the real world...

XYY

I'm not so sure when I was sort of loved up and not working has I was a career to my son I used to be pissed has a cunt every night on world of Warcraft i could average 150-200 a week selling gold i.e. Pixels or levelling other people's carectors up and no fucking chance of social catching me or being grassed up for doing it and I bloody enjoyed it 

2 hours ago, DTMark said:

Think I might just be a bit older than you are. I remember this very fondly. Almost managed to complete it.

Flimbo! Believe it or not this is one of the first games I ever played! :) And one of the few that my whole family will remember.

Very fond memories of it. My first machine was a Commodore 64 bundled with a 4 - game cartridge and this was one of those 4 games.

Never did beat it though. Old computer games were difficult!

Edited by JoeDavola

28 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Flimbo! Believe it or not this is one of the first games I ever played! :) And one of the few that my whole family will remember.

Very fond memories of it. My first machine was a Commodore 64 bundled with a 4 - game cartridge and this was one of those 4 games.

Never did beat it though. Old computer games were difficult!

Bundled with a cartridge? Didn't the C64 have a tape deck?

I worked in a computer game shop as a weekend job back in the mid 80's, the coolest geek job you could have at the time. They used to let me take home a spare console so hence managed to get to elite status on Elite on the Spectrum, BBC B & C64! That is my favourite game of all time, although I showed a youtube video of it to one of the young guys at work and he couldn't believe anybody would play it. It was IMO more than just point and shoot as it had the trading aspect, and that made it for me.

I had consoles a bit later, all the way from Megadrive to PS3, but then left it for a while. Bought myself an xbox for xmas last year on the back of game pass, and for £8 a month can play 100's of titles that I have never played before. I probably only play about 4 hours a week now, but it's a nice timewaster if nothing is on the the box worth watching.

I enjoyed Fable Anniversary, and currently playing The Outer Worlds which is good too.

Steam sale time again! I have just bought 9 games for 26 pounds and am most looking forward to Ultimate General Civil War which seems to run very well on my old toaster laptop. When compared with the past, things are just so cheap and convenient now, and pretty much everything ever released is available on steam, this truly is a golden age of gaming.

Here is the first game I ever bought. I think it is very impressive for the era (1985)

As the C64 has been discussed, I have to mention possibly the greatest game of all time:  Paradroid.  After playing it on a friend's C64, I bought a C64 just so I could play it at home.  I still play it via my C64 in a joystick more than a third of a century later.

Computer games are an amazing way to spend your life - or a terrible way to waste your life.

I know disabled people to who online gaming, and chatting with people around the world, has saved them from a hellish existance.

I know stoners who have wasted 5 years playing world of warcraft

It's all about moderation and situation.

Now, if you're talking about DOOM LAN parties, I was your man....

5 hours ago, wherebee said:

I know disabled people to who online gaming, and chatting with people around the world, has saved them from a hellish existance.

This is my great hope for VR, that it will allow a certain kind of freedom (albeit a simulation of it) to those who are severely disabled. Virtual tourism for those who are bed-bound or who can't travel for health reasons.

I was in a wheelchair for about 6 months at age 15 and didn't leave the house much during that time, and Goldneye on the N64 kept me sane during those times - but online play with actual people would have been a great bonus had that been a thing back then on consoles.

On 27/11/2019 at 09:14, Stunley Andwin said:

Steam sale time again! I have just bought 9 games for 26 pounds and am most looking forward to Ultimate General Civil War which seems to run very well on my old toaster laptop. When compared with the past, things are just so cheap and convenient now, and pretty much everything ever released is available on steam, this truly is a golden age of gaming.

Here is the first game I ever bought. I think it is very impressive for the era (1985)

omg - total flashback, I had this game too. Used to play on my Amstrad CPC 664 (with built in floppy drive no less!!)

The game I'm looking forward to playing this weekend is Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020. Apparently they've taken 10 years since the last version to make this one because they've been waiting for a number of technologies to reach a critical point. The detail is amazing and is an accurate representation of the real world down to a 3-5cm, just think about that. You can literally fly over your own house (or straight into your neighbours :) !!)

I'm not really a flight sim player, but this just looks stunning and I can't wait to fly over the familiar landscapes I know as well as other places of interest all around the world.

12 hours ago, Mihnjeeta said:

omg - total flashback, I had this game too. Used to play on my Amstrad CPC 664 (with built in floppy drive no less!!)

The game I'm looking forward to playing this weekend is Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020. Apparently they've taken 10 years since the last version to make this one because they've been waiting for a number of technologies to reach a critical point. The detail is amazing and is an accurate representation of the real world down to a 3-5cm, just think about that. You can literally fly over your own house (or straight into your neighbours :) !!)

I'm not really a flight sim player, but this just looks stunning and I can't wait to fly over the familiar landscapes I know as well as other places of interest all around the world.

Yup this is a rare instance where you see something that looks truly 'next generation' in terms of graphics.

46 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

That looks bloody incredible.

I'd imagine I'd have to remortgage the house to afford a computer to run it though.

Who knows - maybe cloud based computing will become more common in the next few years.

I also hear that the next generation of home consoles represent a much bigger jump in graphics than the last generation did, so lets see what happens, perhaps something close to this will be possible on them.