DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

The Gaming Thread

JoeDavola

SpectrumFX
46 minutes ago, hapax legomenon said:

Just got a PS5. Got the obligatory Fallout 4 download from PS+ which is fantastic. Also really enjoying Persona 5. Aside from those two games seem very light for the console. Wondering if games have become almost too big to produce so it is easier to beef up some legacy code instead.

You're right. Perhaps the games are so big now that they have just become too costly to produce for anybody to take any risks, which makes everything safe and predictable.

For me there was always one exciting new game that I was dying to play that drove me to buy a new console, but there was nothing released that gave me an urge to upgrade from my PS3 to a PS4, and I haven't yet seen anything that'll push me into buying the PS5. I might get one for GTA 6, but I'll wait for it to find out to see whether it looks to be any good.

I never imagined that I'd skip a whole console generation through lack of any sufficiently interesting games. 

Edited by SpectrumFX
  • Informative 1

hapax legomenon
10 minutes ago, SpectrumFX said:

You're right. Perhaps the games are so big now that they have just become too costly to produce for anybody to take any risks, which makes everything safe and predictable.

For me there was always one exciting new game that I was dying to play that drove me to buy a new console, but there was nothing released that gave me an urge to upgrade from my PS3 to a PS4, and I haven't yet seen anything that'll push me into buying the PS5. I might get one for GTA 6, but I'll wait for it to find out to see whether it looks to be any good.

I never imagined that I'd skip a whole console generation through lack of any sufficiently interesting games. 

Fallout 5 is rumored to be skipping this generation of consoles. Cant think of any games I am really looking forward to, so enjoying catching up on some older games and benefitting from quicker load times.  Will get the resident evil village game as it is meant to be in the spirit of RE4.

16 hours ago, hapax legomenon said:

Fallout 5 is rumored to be skipping this generation of consoles. Cant think of any games I am really looking forward to, so enjoying catching up on some older games and benefitting from quicker load times.  Will get the resident evil village game as it is meant to be in the spirit of RE4.

Went into Game last week and place a preorder for Gran Turismo 7, i'm a PC gamer but i only play racing game's on console.  Bought a PS5 disc and a new LG 48" C1 OLED for the kids "play room" , for the whole family mind, but mainly so i can enjoy GT7 and play online with mates or have the round for racing split screen and beers.  

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

• 2 months later...
nirvana

acquired a Nintendo 64, expansion pack, 3 controllers (2 with rumble pack woo!) and 4 games

what's it worth?

JoeDavola
14 hours ago, nirvana said:

acquired a Nintendo 64, expansion pack, 3 controllers (2 with rumble pack woo!) and 4 games

what's it worth?

Expansion Pak alone worth about 40 quid if it’s the official one. What games you get?

• Cheers 1

nirvana
Just now, JoeDavola said:

Expansion Pak alone worth about 40 quid if it’s the official one. What games you get?

ooh cheers

got Zelda Ocarina of Time, Perfect Dark, Star Wars Rogue Squadron  and F-Zero X

my TV hasn't got RCA so I might have to break into a mate's house to check it actually works lol

JoeDavola
Just now, nirvana said:

ooh cheers

got Zelda Ocarina of Time, Perfect Dark, Star Wars Rogue Squadron  and F-Zero X

my TV hasn't got RCA so I might have to break into a mate's house to check it actually works lol

All good games - just loose carts I take it? F zero x is one of the best racing games ever.

• Informative 1

nirvana
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

just loose carts I take it?

yeah just those grey things....hold on I'll take a pic....

soz I haven't done the dusting this week xD

IMG_20220505_102056.jpg

Edited by nirvana

JoeDavola
1 minute ago, nirvana said:

yeah just those grey things....hold on I'll take a pic....

Lift the flap up off the top so I can see the expansion Pak.

nirvana
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Lift the flap up off the top so I can see the expansion Pak.

it's one of those with a red top.....

IMG_20220505_102601.jpg

Edited by nirvana

JoeDavola
18 minutes ago, nirvana said:

it's one of those with a red top.....

IMG_20220505_102601.jpg

Yup looks like the official one to me which is the one you want. Console in good nick too. You keeping it?

nirvana
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Yup looks like the official one to me which is the one you want. Console in good nick too. You keeping it?

no, I've got a PS4 BUT I'm shite at the games nowadays lol

I'd love my Gamecube back! When I was 'rich(er) and a stupid consumer' I chucked the bloody thing in the bin! Along with loads of other stuff :CryBaby:

I've got a few PCs so I can run an emulator.....I keep thinking about plugging a Ryzen PC into the TV and running games off linux but I find too much shit to do as it is lol.......how much is the N64 stuff worth do you reckon?

thanks for the input!

edit I thought I had a PS3 but it's a PS4 lol

Edited by nirvana

JoeDavola
9 minutes ago, nirvana said:

no, I've got a PS4 BUT I'm shite at the games nowadays lol

I'd love my Gamecube back! When I was 'rich(er) and a stupid consumer' I chucked the bloody thing in the bin! Along with loads of other stuff :CryBaby:

I've got a few PCs so I can run an emulator.....I keep thinking about plugging a Ryzen PC into the TV and running games off linux but I find too much shit to do as it is lol.......how much is the N64 stuff worth do you reckon?

thanks for the input!

edit I thought I had a PS3 but it's a PS4 lol

Bung the lot on eBay probably best - or sell to cex for store credit if they can then provide the graphics card you want.

• Cheers 1

nirvana
6 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Bung the lot on eBay probably best - or sell to cex for store credit if they can then provide the graphics card you want.

cheers but I'm not on the 'island prison' anymore lol

• Informative 1

JoeDavola
3 hours ago, nirvana said:

how much is the N64 stuff worth do you reckon?

None of the games are hideously expensive ones, so I think your price of about £150 is right.

Either way worth a sale if you aren't gonna use it. Ebay it and see what it reaches!

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

I grabbed retroarch and tried a bit of megadrive/snes. emulating old consoles has no staying power for me.

probably better in its own thread, however, has anyone got any recommendations on old PC games that have stood the test of time and still have pickup and play/fun factor? My one would be Sid Miers Pirates.

This morning in CK3 I managed to take back Ireland. Wales is my next target....

CK3.jpg

Edited by A_P

JoeDavola
20 minutes ago, A_P said:

I grabbed retroarch and tried a bit of megadrive/snes. emulating old consoles has no staying power for me.

probably better in its own thread, however, has anyone got any recommendations on old PC games that have stood the test of time and still have pickup and play/fun factor? My one would be Sid Miers Pirates.

CK3.jpg

What kind of games did you used to like playing? First person shooters? Strategy games?

It may just be when you go back to video games in general you find you’ve outgrown them.

Just now, JoeDavola said:

What kind of games did you used to like playing? First person shooters? Strategy games?

It may just be when you go back to video games in general you find you’ve outgrown them.

anything and everything. there was no one genre I didn't like tbf. the issue (probably a good thing) I have now is I lose interest quite quickly rather than outgrown them. for example I wouldn't touch a diablo type game now as I know it is an endless quest.

I do not mind CK3 as an example as I can pick up and play and hour here or there. still i know it is all rather a pointless gui spreadsheet game :CryBaby:

JoeDavola
Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, A_P said:

anything and everything. there was no one genre I didn't like tbf. the issue (probably a good thing) I have now is I lose interest quite quickly rather than outgrown them. for example I wouldn't touch a diablo type game now as I know it is an endless quest.

I do not mind CK3 as an example as I can pick up and play and hour here or there. still i know it is all rather a pointless gui spreadsheet game :CryBaby:

Yes even though I’m interested in videogame history I really lost interest in spending any major amount of time playing them by the time I was about 20.

I maybe take a sudden liking to a game once every year or two, typically during the winter, and we’re talking maybe 20 hours worth of play before that’s me done for the year basically.

Outside of that every time I turn on a games console I’m generally bored within 30 mins and wanna go do something else.

EDIT: I love multiplayer games with friends when they’re in the room ie none of this online shite, as it’s sociable and good craic but I’m I very rarely get to do that.

Edited by JoeDavola
  • Agree 2

TheNoSnowMan
On 14/05/2022 at 07:44, A_P said:

CK3.jpg

Bladerunner for the PC is a pretty epic game. Came out in 97 but, even now, it still looks the bollocks.

And it runs on modern hardware/Win10 (AFAIK). https://www.gog.com/en/game/blade_runner

• Informative 1

TheNoSnowMan
On 14/05/2022 at 09:15, JoeDavola said:

Yes even though I’m interested in videogame history I really lost interest in spending any major amount of time playing them by the time I was about 20.

I maybe take a sudden liking to a game once every year or two, typically during the winter, and we’re talking maybe 20 hours worth of play before that’s me done for the year basically.

Outside of that every time I turn on a games console I’m generally bored within 30 mins and wanna go do something else.

I know that feeling. Although, I was in my mid 30's when my interest in gaming really began to wane. I think part of it was responsibilities I didn't have when I was younger (housework, pets, garden and of course, work). They take up so much time, when I do get five minutes, I just want to watch something not participate in it.

Not sure if I'll ever sell off all my retro consoles though. It'd be like selling off my family. "I don't see them as much as I used to but I still love them.."

JoeDavola
9 minutes ago, TheNoSnowMan said:

I know that feeling. Although, I was in my mid 30's when my interest in gaming really began to wane. I think part of it was responsibilities I didn't have when I was younger (housework, pets, garden and of course, work). They take up so much time, when I do get five minutes, I just want to watch something not participate in it.

Not sure if I'll ever sell off all my retro consoles though. It'd be like selling off my family. "I don't see them as much as I used to but I still love them.."

If you have the space for them then keep them as they’re nice things to have and will only go up in price.

I’ve taken a more anti-videogame stance over the last couple of years; I think doing just about anything else is a better use of your time. I don’t see the normalisation of adults spending loads of time playing videogames as a good thing.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, TheNoSnowMan said:

Bladerunner for the PC is a pretty epic game. Came out in 97 but, even now, it still looks the bollocks.

And it runs on modern hardware/Win10 (AFAIK). https://www.gog.com/en/game/blade_runner

I vaguely recollect playing that when it came out. Ill check it out next time I fancy playing something. Appreciate the recommendation.

• Cheers 1