DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

The love songs of Stevie Wonder

Roger_Mellie

I'm a bit of a soft and sentimental git, and a big fan of Stevie Wonder. I was bored of the radio and had a quick look through my CDs to put on in the car and picked out Songs in the Key of Life. Massive double album, with a fair few turkeys on there despite being considered the magnum opus of Stevie's classic period. But some of the love songs are beautiful, it still amazes me that some of the stuff was written by a blind man.

First up: Joy Inside my Tears. Close to being a turkey due to the pace, but it's so authentic that he pulls it off. The chorus is so simple, but the sentiment is so strong. One of my favourites.

next is 'Summer Soft', the thing I love about this is that it follows straight after 'Pastime Paradise', the intro to Summer Soft straight after the final chord of Pastime Paradise always puts a smile on my face.

Then 'Another Star', just drips with quality. YouTube doesn't do it justice. I'm sure no one is writing stuff like this anymore. A love song that isn't just dreary bollocks.

And a fourth and final for tonight: 'As'. In my view the greatest love song ever written. I used to sing it to my son when he was a baby, and sent my brother the MP3 on a USB stick when he moved to Canada without telling me. It's also got probably my favourite line ever:

"As today I know I'm living, but tomorrow could make me the past and that I musn't fear, for I know deep in my mind the love of me I've left behind and I'll be loving you always." 

Just beautiful. What's even better is the transition about 2/3rds through from love song to all-out funkathon. And the harmonies are spot on.

Archived