DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Anyone bought Tesla shares?

mattydread

Made decent money for the Model S and variants but high margin cars is where GM make their money too - trucks and SUV sector. Market cap same as GM that's a big ask. Goldilocks period is coming to an end and they need to mass produce and make money. When you add up the cost of going from base model Model 3 to higher spec it goes way over $35K, doubt we'll see dollar equivalent here for base model. This isn't the internet where grow infrastructure almost exponentially without much trouble, lots of cars = lots of headaches. Designing electric car isn't rocket science either, the reduced parts count will bring more competition to the car market in general, not less and the next most desirable electric car with top whack pricing might come from pretty much nowhere when more topicality drivetrain/battery components are swirling round the OEM market. 

Other companies have proven they can make fine electric cars - Nissan Leaf, Chevvy Bolt. Does Tesla have USP, very debateable. Every virtue signalling Californian on mega bucks has already bought a Model S/X and to be honest the novelty is going and the model S is looking a bit passe now. Musk getting political on climate deal / Trump, twat, Tesla has had oodles in public funding and green car kickbacks, can see those being dropped rapidly around the world when tax take starts to get hit (double hit thanks to kickbacks) as electric cars roll out form other manufacturers.

Haven't read up about the semi-launch being dropped, minor slippages not unusual but big picture makes Tesla look very fully priced.

• 3 months later...

Not definite, but this news  hit the shares pretty hard, been falling behind Model 3 production figures too. The competition is catching up fast and if it comes down to who can produce cheaper the mass producers could still have the advantage. 

Tesla's Having The Worst Day Ever As GOP Tax Plan Calls For Axing Electric Car Credit

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-11-02/teslas-having-worst-day-ever-gop-tax-plan-calls-axing-electric-car-credit

Tesla Inc., General Motors Co. and other major carmakers pushing to boost U.S. electric car sales were dealt a blow by House Republicans who on Thursday proposed eliminating a $7,500 per vehicle tax credit that has helped stoke early demand for the still small segment of the U.S. auto market.

If adopted, the repeal would take effect after the 2017 tax year, according to a summary of the bill released Thursday by the House Ways and Means Committee as part of a sweeping overhaul of the U.S. tax code that would eliminate some deductions and cut the corporate tax rate to 20 percent. The Senate is crafting its own version.

1 minute ago, Long time lurking said:

There planed battery factory could be their saving grace ,from that point a view they are well ahead of the curve (if it`s built)

It should certainly help. Pricing is their problem though, dollar for £ the model 3 doesn't stack up to me for example - add on extras that really should be in a standard car and  that model looks expensive. Having said that, utterly convinced that electric cars will dominate the market eventually, just a few more breakthroughs in battery tech should do it.

Long time lurking
4 minutes ago, onlyme said:

It should certainly help. Pricing is their problem though, dollar for £ the model 3 doesn't stack up to me for example - add on extras that really should be in a standard car and  that model looks expensive. Having said that, utterly convinced that electric cars will dominate the market eventually, just a few more breakthroughs in battery tech should do it.

I have never realy looked into electric cars ,i could be completely wrong but most seem to run direct drive ?(ie no gearbox) i understand the thinking due to the torqe produced by electric motors ,but surely the range could be increased by using a gear box 

Would agree battery tec/cost is whats holding it back for sure 

5 minutes ago, Long time lurking said:

I have never realy looked into electric cars ,i could be completely wrong but most seem to run direct drive ?(ie no gearbox) i understand the thinking due to the torqe produced by electric motors ,but surely the range could be increased by using a gear box 

Would agree battery tec/cost is whats holding it back for sure 

Yes, direct drive as multiple gears just not needed really. Very flat efficiency curve so any saving would be marginal, unlike an ic engine. 

20070432-2.gif

Motor tech, even with brushless, doesn't seem to be anywhere near where it ought to be. In a solid state era coils of copper wire seem very inelegant.

35 minutes ago, SNACR said:

Motor tech, even with brushless, doesn't seem to be anywhere near where it ought to be. In a solid state era coils of copper wire seem very inelegant.

I think you end up battling basic physics, you can tweak things but there's only a few percent left to gain so maybe just go with tried and tested designs largely, ultra reliable, sometimes why bother with redesigning  the wheel as it were. Then concentrate on all the other components, regen, drive electronics etc. Hub motors have had some effort put into them but there are issues with unsprung weight. 

10 hours ago, spunko2010 said:

CBeT8wgxIe4igTcvms1KYuncsk-IR7d6B9nyZ0jMT2Q.jpg

I thought that excuse had recently been patented under the brand 'The Spacey'?

Archived