DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Been too long in cash. Strategy after probable Tory election win

Bus Stop Boxer

Bus Stop Boxer

Ok ive a reasonable stash in cash that is now clearly losing me money. I have a HL account and could very quickly get my cash ISA set up and transferred in there.

Do they have a nice easy no brainer tracker that i can slap it in to, or do i need to do more research?

FundSmith always stuck in my mind when i dabbled before.

They recommend particular trackers on their site.

You first need to decide what you want: global, or just developed economies, and what weighting UK / EUR / US / Asia.

I'm mostly in a HSBC UK index tracker and Vanguard developed economies ex UK (slight pricier than the HSBC but still very cheap).

Active funds tend to charge 1.5% and up over these tracker funds; when you work that out it's a lot especially given interest rates.

£1,500 a year on £100k is going out in fees.

Global FTSE All Cap (Vanguard) is a good pick. It's not got the home bias of LifeStrategy 100. Although having a higher UK weighting might be beneficial. Once we get Brexit over with and people realise planes won't fall out of the sky we could do quite well. Another argument for home bias is that we spend in GBP.

longtomsilver

I'm currently throwing money into the Vanguard UK equity income fund. Currently yielding 5.49% worth noting 40% is held in only 10 shares but most of those I'm happy to hold individual (and do 6 out of the 10). Also hold the Vanguard FTSE 100 and 250 funds.

Democorruptcy
On 27/11/2019 at 20:56, longtomsilver said:

I'm currently throwing money into the Vanguard UK equity income fund. Currently yielding 5.49% worth noting 40% is held in only 10 shares but most of those I'm happy to hold individual (and do 6 out of the 10). Also hold the Vanguard FTSE 100 and 250 funds.

Might be of interest re Vanguard they are launching their SIPP early 2020

https://www.vanguardinvestor.co.uk/articles/latest-thoughts/retirement/get-ready-for-the-vanguard-personal-pension

longtomsilver
14 hours ago, Democorruptcy said:

Might be of interest re Vanguard they are launching their SIPP early 2020

https://www.vanguardinvestor.co.uk/articles/latest-thoughts/retirement/get-ready-for-the-vanguard-personal-pension

Thank you - I'm looking at this fund with interest; while it may be more expensive to transfer exMrsLTSs pension due to it's size this could well be right for me.

Archived