DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

You may have missed....

Frank Hovis

Songs that disappeared without trace or were never hits in the UK but were hits abroad; rather than good album tracks by your favourite band.

These aren't going to be the best songs of all time but they have their own value.

If there is a guide it's your reckoning that most people will never have heard of them.

I won't repeat my indie favourites of The Bible - Graceland and The Church - Under the Milky Way as I've posted them in other threads.

Here's a starter that I heard on Entertainment USA, a show I really liked, which did absolutely zero in the UK.   The band is Guadalcanal Diary, the song Watusi Rodeo, and the year is 1985.

All welcome including @JoeDavola and @The XYY Man ;)

Here's a British one; this is a very strong song and it looked as if they might make that break into the mainstream like The Associates but instead they crashed and burned.

For any pop anoraks this is not the band of the same name which Pete Burns was in prior to Dead or Alive.

I'll keep plugging away.  This shortened video was from a fantastic live band - Miss World - which was led by singer and keyboardist Jonathon Perkins.  He was in XTC before they made it big and also in Dave Stewart's Spiritual Cowboys.

Live they were superb and included What a Wonderful World in their set.

When you see the bands that make it big and those that don't you can see it's pure luck.

Bus Stop Boxer
4 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Another amazing live band; The Godfathers.

Did you see them live? I did. About 6 or 7 times. For two-three years in the mid late 80s they were untouchable. Sheer power and intensity.

Kris Dollimore was a total showman. What great times.

Saw em at the Marquee, and London Dungeon St Valentines Massacre in 88 i think.

This is my fave...

And fucking hell, im in the audience here. Roachford weren't bad either.

7 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Songs that disappeared without trace or were never hits in the UK but were hits abroad; rather than good album tracks by your favourite band.

These aren't going to be the best songs of all time but they have their own value.

If there is a guide it's your reckoning that most people will never have heard of them.

All welcome including @JoeDavola and @The XYY Man ;)

Even me? ;)

This was a big hit in Europe in 1979 but made no impact here. It has become my second favourite of all-time.

Disco-esque but no D-I-S-C-O. Electro meets real percussion and a guitar. Wonderful guitar solo. And in the long version a real "jam" at the end.

7 hours ago, Bus Stop Boxer said:

Did you see them live? I did. About 6 or 7 times. For two-three years in the mid late 80s they were untouchable. Sheer power and intensity.

Yep but only the once, Town and Country club.

What made them particularly good was that I didn't know their songs in advance but they were still excellent. A bit like the Jam but with a wall of sound rather than a sparse Rickenbacker.

5 hours ago, DTMark said:

Even me? ;)

I did nearly say you but stopped myself for fear of opening the door to a whole tidal wave of Italian disco music!

Archived