DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Investments and stockmarket thread

The Idiocrat

The Idiocrat

Not sure if this is the right section to put it in, but it would be nice to have something like this so we can discuss investment ideas (anyone still have a STR fund?!) or stock markets in general.

I've just put a bit of cash into my SIPP, so does anyone have any ideas on where to invest it? I'm currently thinking of one of the Vanguard Life Strategy funds (60% or 80%). SIPP currently is reasonably diversified (maybe overweight on miners and PMs) and a fair proportion in guilts. Nothing invested in emerging markets or industry-specific funds (oil? tech? biotech?). Any ideas much appreciated.

sleepwello'nights

I'm in a similar situation in that my investments/savings are too heavily weighted in cash. However I know that the professionals watch my behaviour like hawks. The minute I buy something it drops in price and as soon as I sell anything the price rockets up. What to do?

I've started looking at Robo Advisors; Nutmeg and Wealthify spring to mind. I'm sure if I do though the stock market and bond market will plummet.

The Idiocrat
1 hour ago, sleepwello'nights said:

I'm in a similar situation in that my investments/savings are too heavily weighted in cash. However I know that the professionals watch my behaviour like hawks. The minute I buy something it drops in price and as soon as I sell anything the price rockets up. What to do?

I've started looking at Robo Advisors; Nutmeg and Wealthify spring to mind. I'm sure if I do though the stock market and bond market will plummet.

Thanks for pointing those out - will look at them. Just let me know when you invest and I'll do the opposite! ;-)

Looking at investor leverage this looks like a horrible time to be going all in, or even partly in, interest rate suppression has made a false market in every investment going. Will they stick or twist - that is effectively what an investor is gambling on now. Debt limit decision coming up 15th April, if you believe there is a concerted effort to out Trump then they may decide they have to ditch the economy to do so and the debt limit will not be significantly raised, in which case the trouble/trigger will surface almost immediately. 

Investors' Leverage Hits An All-Time High

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-04-04/investors-leverage-hits-all-time-high

• 2 weeks later...
man o' the year

I have just wet my feet proper in self select ISA. Just as market falls, USA nearly goes to war twice, and May now calls an election. Not off to the best of starts but I will stick with it as my previous passive investments (PEPs from years ago) have done well. 

Just as well I haven't bought a house with my "kiss of death" effect!

sleepwello'nights
On ‎30‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 15:48, The Idiocrat said:

Thanks for pointing those out - will look at them. Just let me know when you invest and I'll do the opposite! ;-)

Well I've got one over on who ever is watching me investing. They must have lost patience waiting for me to invest in something and have had to let the market fall a bit. I just know they're trying to trick me into investing before they crash the market.