DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

E-bikes & e-scooters

Sugarlips

Anyone got a decent one? 

https://mashable.com/article/radrunner-ebike-passenger-cargo/

I’m liking the look of this tandem, not sure if I can justify the expense but the weather is good here and they are allowed to go anywhere a regular bike can, I wonder if there is any demand for me to start a local ridesharing service to offset the cost.

Also cool are these, allow 2 small kids on the back

https://www.ternbicycles.com/au/bikes/gsd

Chewing Grass
11 minutes ago, Battenberg said:

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/seat-e-scooter-could-be-sold-uk

This looks pretty cool.

I’m currently on the look out for a Yamaha Aerox. Only need 50cc but it suggests that e-scooter would be equivalent to a 125.

9A6D6E65-C08D-4DEC-9FEC-3DC37869E5D1.jpeg

Unsprung weight of that rear wheel with the hub-motor looks appalling, the square thing is the battery, steering will be light tho'.

• 3 weeks later...
On 01/12/2019 at 11:55, MrPin said:

No idea. I can see electric bikes to be a bit of a winner, unless you want to traverse Russia on it.

A mate of mine went from France to Japan on an ebike via Russia. This was a long time before eBikes became popular

• 2 weeks later...

Quote:

blueprint-api-production.s3.amazonaws.com

Beneath....This is on Ebay right now for £250 start price, I reckon if you fit a hub motor, you'll have a decent two people carrier bike. There aren't enough cargo bike frames in the UK, which is why the price is so high for new ones.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kona-Ute-cargo-bike/153783544778?hash=item23ce36abca:g:dtgAAOSwUQBeDiiL

I'd fit the widest tyre on the back that you can get, and slime inner tubes, as the weight would be a lot for the back wheel to take.

EDIT - the 2020 version has 650b wheelsize - hub motors aren't so readily available, so a potential conversion may not be straight forward. Mid drive may be the answer.

s-l1600.jpg

alternatively, if you want to carry a second person, you could theoretically fit this on the back of a powerful ebike, and fit a longer seat post for an adtult passenger. But I'm not sure if it would work, as the trailer is designed for kids.

Tag-AlongBike.thumb.jpg.aa1b856c970bd97f76c6d81460231837.jpg

the gardener

I had a couple of electric bike kits about 15 years ago. They're good fun, particularly if you tweak the controller to allow assistance beyond 15 mph. I had a hub motor running 36V and it would assist to 24mph. I say assist but since it had a throttle I didn't actually need to pedal. I believe that now you have to have a pedelec - which will assist pedalling effort but the pedals must be turning. That's not a big issue really tbh. 

If I was to buy one now I'd go for the crank drive systems eg Bosch , shimano steps, brose et al. Brose are good but apparently have very few replaceable/repairable parts compared to Bosch. I'd probably lean towards Bosch because of that.

Decathlon do a pretty good ebike with a Brose motor for about £1600 which seems a great price in comparison to other retailers. I'm quite tempted myself. 

Problem I see with e-bikes is that unless you're going from secure location to secure location your £500+ bike will be nicked in minutes. Can't go to the supermarket or pub and just leave it locked up outside.

33 minutes ago, gibbon said:

Problem I see with e-bikes is that unless you're going from secure location to secure location your £500+ bike will be nicked in minutes. Can't go to the supermarket or pub and just leave it locked up outside.

One of the reasons I like folders - fold them up and wheel round shops even, yes it takes a few seconds to fold / unfold and a little unwieldy, but finding a suitable locking place and attaching/detaching a lock is time consuming as well as the theft risk, plus I can throw it in the back of the car. 

A lock / trembler alarm as well probably OK in most locations though.

16 hours ago, onlyme said:

One of the reasons I like folders - fold them up and wheel round shops even, yes it takes a few seconds to fold / unfold and a little unwieldy, but finding a suitable locking place and attaching/detaching a lock is time consuming as well as the theft risk, plus I can throw it in the back of the car. 

A lock / trembler alarm as well probably OK in most locations though.

yeah I like folders but never seen anyone wheeling them around, think you have to carry most of them once folded, an electric one I was looking at was 25kg, that's a lot to lug around the shops, also large.

Reckon those xiaomi e-scooters are a much more practical. Easier to fold, easier/lighter to carry, possibility of riding them on pavements. Think you'd still look a bit of nob on one but that might change.

2 hours ago, gibbon said:

yeah I like folders but never seen anyone wheeling them around, think you have to carry most of them once folded, an electric one I was looking at was 25kg, that's a lot to lug around the shops, also large.

Reckon those xiaomi e-scooters are a much more practical. Easier to fold, easier/lighter to carry, possibility of riding them on pavements. Think you'd still look a bit of nob on one but that might change.

Bromton's have wheels on the top of the  luggage rack so when folded you can wheel them around. Great design but heavy due to steel construction, electric versions stupid money and even heavier. Two we have were cheap(ish) second hand,  could use them for a decade and sell them for the same price (or more). 

On 04/01/2020 at 22:12, the gardener said:

Decathlon 

I visited our local Decathlon - and I am blown away by the parts they keep in store, and the prices are very good. They keep a bigger collection of bits online, and it's free to click and collect also. This beats Halfords, they keep very little in the way of maintenance spare parts.

They even sell replacement hub motors for their ebikes online.

2.thumb.jpg.088e480286803d41d73f3a46a15930da.jpg

1.thumb.jpg.fb1186b0d7e6cb57ad7e411d32a2e6f7.jpg

^Slime tubes

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/01/2020 at 07:13, 201p said:

I visited our local Decathlon - and I am blown away by the parts they keep in store, and the prices are very good. They keep a bigger collection of bits online, and it's free to click and collect also. This beats Halfords, they keep very little in the way of maintenance spare parts.

They even sell replacement hub motors for their ebikes online.

2.thumb.jpg.088e480286803d41d73f3a46a15930da.jpg

1.thumb.jpg.fb1186b0d7e6cb57ad7e411d32a2e6f7.jpg

^Slime tubes

We got the kids bikes from there and had to nip back for a service, they're brilliant, all Spanish in my local branch, for some reason.

The bikes were £90 and came with a bell, lights, mudguards and a kick stand! 

I fancy one of these but think they might be illegal to ride in the UK?

2WD, 750w motorS, fat tyres and a banana seat!

Seen a similar, but 1WD ebike with only 250w here :

https://www.freemans.com/products/Barracuda-Rogue-E-Bike/_/A-51X275_?location=7

£1550

Or £1200 from here?

https://www.costco.co.uk/Sports-Spas-Leisure/Bikes-Scooters-Accessories/Electric-Bikes/Barracuda-Rogue-Monkey-Style-Fat-Tyre-E-Bike/p/301304 

The one in the video above would be amazing though, have a passenger on the back, go off road on it, loads of fun.

5 hours ago, Carl Fimble said:

2WD, 750w motorS, fat tyres and a banana seat!

Seen a similar, but 1WD ebike with only 250w here :

https://www.freemans.com/products/Barracuda-Rogue-E-Bike/_/A-51X275_?location=7

£1550

Or £1200 from here?

https://www.costco.co.uk/Sports-Spas-Leisure/Bikes-Scooters-Accessories/Electric-Bikes/Barracuda-Rogue-Monkey-Style-Fat-Tyre-E-Bike/p/301304 

The one in the video above would be amazing though, have a passenger on the back, go off road on it, loads of fun.

My only issue with fat tyre bikes is finding replacement tyres and tubes. If you can make your own ebike I would do that because inevitably it will need more maintenance because of the extra weight on brakes, tyres, wheels etc.

Also you stick out like a sore thumb and may attract unwanted attention with anything not of a traditional bike look.

But if you used to cycle a lot in the past and don't now, get an ebike (buy a ready made one if you have to), it will get you out exploring again and change your life.

35 minutes ago, 201p said:

UK

https://www.gov.uk/electric-bike-rules

must have a maximum power output of 250 watts

should not be able to propel the bike when it’s travelling more than 15.5mph

That is a bit weird.

I don’t reckon you need more than 100 watts to go at 15.5 mph on a bike. Uphill? At 15 mph? Plus whatever watts the rider is putting in?

Im pretty sure I’ve seen numerous bikes bombing along at more than 15 mph, ridden by people who look like they’re neither the sort to be pedalling that hard or to tinker with the bike to ‘deregulate’ it.

Perhaps those regs aren’t really enforced by anyone, a bit like the regs on bike lights, which were fossilised in the time of giant everyready lumps, dynamos and incandescent filament bulbs and are now roundly ignored? 

Just SORNed my car. Money is very tight, tax/insurance/breakdown/mot/fuel is my 2nd biggest expense by far yet I only use the thing 3-4 times a month. Calculated every single trip was costing me £22-£25 a time.

I work from home and driving around my city is suicide fuel, worse traffic than London. I can't even park anywhere near I live due to every single third worlder being crammed into every closet and shed round here and every scrap of land turned into 300 flats. I'm not joking it's so bad I keep seeing planning applications to turn 1 bed flats into 2 studios. I also have to park 15 min walk away.

Started having mechanical issues last week (which I will fix myself with time) so thought fuck it it's an affordable luxury for me atm and the bigger goal is to build up my income again and not re-enter the rat race.

Looking at getting an foldable e-bike when I got the money, got a nice hybrid already problem is I don't ride it as getting it up and down the narrow staircase at my flats is too much hassle. I also like the idea you can just fold it and pop on public transport or into the pub. Reckon this Fiido D2 looks just the job for £400ish, they also do a version with gears

Can't think of ever reading about a prosecution of someone on an E-Bike, for this sort of model I doubt you'll attract any attention as long as reasonably sensible.

Don't suppose there is a local supplier, couple of reasons, gives you a chance to try one out, see how easy it is to actually carry around (or pull along if that is an option). Secondly if can get locally (or online shop) you may be able to wangle some money through the ride to work scheme or whatever it is called.  Seems like a very neat package for the money, nice having the twist and go feature as well.

Also, if everywhere flat then highly recommend a Brompton, as an all up package is great and rides very easily. Just in price range S/H and worth a test ride for comparison if the "e" part is not an essential on your list, will last years and years and no battery / other issues. Probably be able to ride it a few years and sell for same price too is bought well. loads of extras available and some with panniers racks which work well and perform secondary function as pull along wheels when folded which is very nice if combining cycling/walking.

3 hours ago, Carl Fimble said:

I reckon I'd go for a kit, still £7/800 though, this looks decent-1600-2000W!!

Don't get why people keep sticking those conversions on mountain bikes with front shocks. That kit needs to be on a hybrid. 2000w? Far too much power if you ask me.

14 minutes ago, gibbon said:

Don't get why people keep sticking those conversions on mountain bikes with front shocks. That kit needs to be on a hybrid. 2000w? Far too much power if you ask me.

Yep, it’s mental. Top world class racing cyclists can’t even put out half that amount of power, riding at 40+ mph. Were talking motorbike levels of power, but on hardware not really designed to cope with it. Mental. 

Archived