• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

sarahbell

who is ed sheran?

Odd looking guy (like Paul Gambacini's lovechild, with a scrappy beard) but great songwriter with very good voice and guitar playing.

I've thought a couple of his songs were excellent but he is a people pleaser so thinks tweeting SJW garbage is the way to make himself popular.

13 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

something on news this morning about them tweaking the charts to stop ed sheran being in every spot.

I don't listen to a lot of new music. As I type I'm listening to Frank Sinatra singing That's Life :)

I have heard a few Shereen songs on radio that are ok'ish. Lots seem to really like him and buy his music and concert tickets. 

From what I've read Ed Shereen is selfmade. Doesn't require big production, songwriters or backing singers/musicians or being signed to any record label/producers. 

An upstart that needs to be ruined? How dare he succeed on his own with no one taking a cut from his earnings!

I heard on the radio this morning that he had just bought a bendy bus for the kids and was a thouroughly decent chap. Source Shaun Keavney Radio 6. He implied his music was pretty shit though.

I watched him at Glastonbury. Impressive a man with a guitar and a loop machine. Very little sticks these days, and yet they all know his songs. Honestly, I've heard so much original stuff that is soooo much better but will never be heard by the masses.

A couple of very good songs. He got used for an M&S advert - good chorus/hook - reminded me of huge hit Spaceman which was used in an advert, great chorus but rest of song was crap.

Fair play to the lad he got his chance and took it. Maybe getting old, a lot of music today leaves me cold.

Edited by Alonso Quijano

Listened to him on Desert Island Discs. I can't work out whether he's an excellent musician or just a really good self-marketer.

Personally I find his stuff pretty boring but he's not offensively shite like most of the crap being churned out at the moment.

Meh out of 10.

40 minutes ago, Economic Exile said:

I don't listen to a lot of new music. As I type I'm listening to Frank Sinatra singing That's Life :)

I have heard a few Shereen songs on radio that are ok'ish. Lots seem to really like him and buy his music and concert tickets. 

From what I've read Ed Shereen is selfmade. Doesn't require big production, songwriters or backing singers/musicians or being signed to any record label/producers. 

An upstart that needs to be ruined? How dare he succeed on his own with no one taking a cut from his earnings!

He's obviously very talented although too boring  for my tastes. However, he's not as self made as he appears. Seems to have plagiarised on a grand scale at least once: https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/music/2017/apr/11/ed-sheeran-20m-dollar-copyright-claim-matt-cardle-x-factor

ETA: If you listen to them, those songs are musically fucking identical.

Edited by The Idiocrat

22 minutes ago, The Idiocrat said:

He's obviously very talented although too boring  for my tastes. However, he's not as self made as he appears. Seems to have plagiarised on a grand scale at least once: https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/music/2017/apr/11/ed-sheeran-20m-dollar-copyright-claim-matt-cardle-x-factor

ETA: If you listen to them, those songs are musically fucking identical.

I can't be bothered listening to him. He may have talent but is possibly just lucky or could be a synthesiser in the musical world. Very possibly a plagiarist but it's a common problem these days!

IMO anyone that can synthesise anything, recognise an opening and make their way in the world has an edge. Obviously if you can make lots of money it's an even better advantage. Is it moral though!

IMO Dosbods forum has posters who I regard as people who can analyse and synthesise information from a variety of aspects or disciplines coming from a moral viewpoint. Maybe we need one or two Dosbods posters to make it and get the mainstream "buying" what's on offer. Carl Fimble is trying hard because he cares about the uk and his family. He didn't get the island but perhaps he will be succeed as one who appeals on the internet and sells the idea about fighting for our country?

9 hours ago, JoeDavola said:

Only one of his songs stuck with me, but I like the guy. Plays his guitar, writes his songs, knows how to use a looper pedal. Not especially good looking either, so not relying on looks to get in the charts.

I'm not a fan of his music, but we need more like him - if that makes any sense.

The thing is, like James Blunt, he's likeable and self-effacing so you feel bad about criticising their bland musical output but not sure you should.

Not sure there's really any organic self-made music stars they are created in a secret laboratory to some extent.

A rich kid from Suffolk who had a massive leg up from his parents. They got him lucrative slots at some festival I believe (latitude maybe?) as they were on very good terms with the owners (or were somehow affiliated with them).

the slots he got were way above his talent/celebrity at the time. 

Timing is everything, and his blend of ginger-vanilla-bland-nepotism is now everywhere. 

I'm sure I must have heard some of his output, or put the other way around it seems unlikely that I've managed to avoid all of it.

The only time I recall was at this year's Glastonbury where, flicking through the channels, I came across him trying to perform a rap song and it was so bad I thought it must be a wind-up.

He then went on to do a couple of others, I let it get that far and then changed the channel. Newsnight was probably coming on.

A bit like Coldplay - "in one ear and out of the other".

8 minutes ago, ccc said:

Did you spell his name wrong to pretend you don't know who he is but really do :Jumping:

I know 'who' he is but not what he sings. 
I did almost go to youtube and have a look but CBA

1 minute ago, DTMark said:

As you're just dying to hear some..

Hearing this for the first time myself.

Or am I. I thought the chorus used to go:  "let's get it on...."

Ed Sheeran's Official Top 10 biggest songs revealed

Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Sheeran

I was about to post the same link.

Well worth watching. (Note I said watching!)