• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

DTMark

TV: box-sets to watch

As we don't appear to have this thread I thought I'd start it, more-or-less continuing from where the thread on ToS left off.

Just finished watching "Trapped".

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Trapped-Season-1/dp/B01C983XU4

A mutilated and dismembered body washes on the shore, an unidentifiable man murdered only hours ago. The local police chief, Andri Olafssun realises a killer has descended into his town. As word spreads, order disintegrates into chaos as the ferry's passengers and the town's residents realise that a killer is trapped among them.

Icelandic, subtitled. One season, 10 episodes.

The synopsis makes it seem like it's going to be a bit like a horror movie, but it's a fairly straightforward crime drama.

Without giving much away there's more than one murder. One is really easy to solve, but the main one that runs through the series is difficult. But all the clues are there. If you do solve it in its entirety you'll have done very well (we did not).

The series is a little gritty given the location which adds to the sense of tenseness. The characters are well-played. It's sufficiently engaging from the start to keep going. The conclusion is good.

Well worth a watch.

8 out of 10.

We're well into stuff like this. The only ones I can recommend wholeheartedly are the US version of The Killing, and Line Of Duty. We've already had a thread on the latter but the former is one of the finest things I've ever seen. You know how most series tail off after a while? The Killing gets better each series!

I'm about five episodes into Better Call Saul at the moment. Sticking with it for the time being.

28 minutes ago, Inoperational Bumblebee said:

We're well into stuff like this. The only ones I can recommend wholeheartedly are the US version of The Killing, and Line Of Duty. We've already had a thread on the latter but the former is one of the finest things I've ever seen. You know how most series tail off after a while? The Killing gets better each series!

I liked the US version of The Killing. A bit unfairly overlooked here where the original was widely recognised.

5 hours ago, SNACR said:

I'm about five episodes into Better Call Saul at the moment. Sticking with it for the time being.

We have this and I've been waiting to watch it for ages. Mrs. less keen based on other people's feedback, but I'm looking forward to it all the same.

4 minutes ago, Fully Detached said:

We have this and I've been waiting to watch it for ages. Mrs. less keen based on other people's feedback, but I'm looking forward to it all the same.

It's a bit slow going to start but it takes about five episodes until they start getting into Mike's backstory when it livens up a bit.

Just now, SNACR said:

It's a bit slow going to start but it takes about five episodes until they start getting into Mike's backstory when it livens up a bit.

Excellent, thanks - been about 2 years since I finished BB so hopefully I'll be able to remember enough to enjoy the various connections :)

Favourites:

sopranos, battlestar galactica (2003), Sarah Connor chronicles, breaking bad

currently watching:

wayward pines, twin peaks, outcast, preacher, fortitude

planning to watch:

the wire, bad blood, mad men

and yes I'm like the tosspot in Harry and Paul - don't watch live telly and look down upon unwashed for giving money to a paedophile loving organisation. Sorry Harry and Paul, did that ruin the joke?

30 minutes ago, Long time lurking said:

The Wire 

and 18 years lost /making a murderer is a must watch if you like real life stories 

Loved making a murderer but did a little research and found there was heaps of evidence they didn't show and it makes his innocence a bit hard to believe. But I guess it could have been planted. 

Spoiler

Halbach’s belongings were found on Avery’s property. Kratz said her phone and camera were found 20 feet from Avery’s door. “This isn’t contested,” he  said. “It was all presented as evidence at the jury trial, and the documentary people don’t tell you that.”

Avery and Halbach knew each other. Halbach had been to Avery’s home several times to photograph vehicles for Auto Trader magazine. When Avery set up an appointment with a photographer, he reportedly requested her specifically, saying, “Send the girl who was out here before.” Kratz also  told People that Halbach said she was “creeped out” by him.

Edited by Thombleached
Quotes from website

1 minute ago, Thombleached said:

Loved making a murderer but did a little research and found there was heaps of evidence they didn't show and it makes his innocence a bit hard to believe. But I guess it could have been planted. 

Hard to say but the video of the interrogation of the nephew ? was damning and the fact he was tried separately speaks volumes 

11 minutes ago, Long time lurking said:

Hard to say but the video of the interrogation of the nephew ? was damning and the fact he was tried separately speaks volumes 

Good points. I'm at the very least on the side of "there's two sides to every story and then there's the truth"

everytime I look at some other bit of evidence I'm a bit torn:

Spoiler

Two jurors in the Avery trial had relatives working for the Manitowoc Sheriff’s Department. One man had a son in the department, and another had a wife in the county clerk of court’s office, according to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. Dean Strang, one of Avery’s lawyers, said the connections were known — but both the defense and prosecution had apparently used up their allotted juror dismissals.

The documentary received plenty of pushback before it was even released. According to BuzzFeed, the government “did certainly go out of their way to try and quash their documentary.” In the fall of 2006, the state tried to subpoena the footage, so Demos and Ricciardi hired a lawyer of their own. “The state wanted any statement Steven made … and statements by others who might have knowledge or claim to have knowledge about who was responsible for the death of Teresa Halbach,” Ricciardi said. “It was a fishing expedition, and we really think it was an effort by the state to shut down our production.”

Edited by Thombleached

True Detective was an excellent if dark series, almost worth watching for the Alexandria Daddario scenes alone. It is very, very good though. Don't expect to be cheered up by it.

Do not, repeat do not bother with the second series. It's unforgivably bad, they really dropped a bollock with it.

My current fave is Vikings, it's been great watching it from the start and seeing it's popularity (and sfx budget) increase as it goes along.

Great if you like your anti-heroes, the Vikings are awesome but at the same time, total, total bastards.

Superb stuff.

1 hour ago, Thombleached said:

Good points. I'm at the very least on the side of "there's two sides to every story and then there's the truth"

everytime I look at some other bit of evidence I'm a bit torn:

Reveal hidden contents

Two jurors in the Avery trial had relatives working for the Manitowoc Sheriff’s Department. One man had a son in the department, and another had a wife in the county clerk of court’s office, according to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. Dean Strang, one of Avery’s lawyers, said the connections were known — but both the defense and prosecution had apparently used up their allotted juror dismissals.

The documentary received plenty of pushback before it was even released. According to BuzzFeed, the government “did certainly go out of their way to try and quash their documentary.” In the fall of 2006, the state tried to subpoena the footage, so Demos and Ricciardi hired a lawyer of their own. “The state wanted any statement Steven made … and statements by others who might have knowledge or claim to have knowledge about who was responsible for the death of Teresa Halbach,” Ricciardi said. “It was a fishing expedition, and we really think it was an effort by the state to shut down our production.”

Spoiler

My money is on either the brother in law or plod setting him up ,no one`s that daft to do what he was alleged to have done and in the way they were supposed to have done it, the fact that he was convicted on that evidence leaves more than a few questions ,then you have the evidence used to convict his nephew which was contradicting a hell of a lot of the evidence they used to convict Avery hence the separate trial  then add to that plod had previous in stitching him up 

Edited by Long time lurking

12 minutes ago, Long time lurking said:

Reveal hidden contents

My money is on either the brother in law or plod setting him up ,no one`s that daft to do what he was alleged to have done and in the way they were supposed to have done it, the fact that he was convicted on that evidence leaves more than a few questions ,then you have the evidence used to convict his nephew which was contradicting a hell of a lot of the evidence they used to convict Avery hence the separate trial  then add to that plod had previous in stitching him up 

Spoiler

Aha !!! Nice one

The wee spooky eye - I should have worked it out. 

1 hour ago, Sgt Hartman said:

True Detective was an excellent if dark series, almost worth watching for the Alexandria Daddario scenes alone. It is very, very good though. Don't expect to be cheered up by it.

Do not, repeat do not bother with the second series. It's unforgivably bad, they really dropped a bollock with it.

My current fave is Vikings, it's been great watching it from the start and seeing it's popularity (and sfx budget) increase as it goes along.

Great if you like your anti-heroes, the Vikings are awesome but at the same time, total, total bastards.

Superb stuff.

Seconded , "Vikings" is fantastic. At least 100 times better than "The last kingdom" which is the So-Called BBC's distinctly embarrassing effort at telling the same story (though the books by Bernard Cornwell are excellent).