• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Terrorism warning - Sharm al Sheikh, Red Sea resorts

Looks serious, if I was going then I would be cancelling.  We all have acceptable levels of risk and this would exceed mine.  I was happily wandering around Istanbul 18 months ago so I don't think of myself as overcautious:

Israel has warned its citizens to immediately leave Sharm el-Sheikh and Egypt's other Red Sea resorts, saying there is an imminent threat of an Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (Isil) attack against tourists

Several hundred Israelis are in the region right now but thousands more are expected to head to Egypt's beaches during next month's Passover holiday, the Israel government said. 

Israel's counter-terrorism bureau said: "There is a serious and current threat of terror attacks being carried out against tourists, notably Israelis, in the immediate future.

It urged its citizens who were in the Sinai to immediately return home and warned anyone with plans to travel to the area to cancel them. 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03/28/israel-warns-citizens-get-sharm-el-sheikh-red-sea-amid-fears/

Damn - I went to Sharm for the first time a couple of years ago and loved it. Looks like we won't be heading back in a hurry.

I have to say it was one of the more disconcerting airports to land in - complete chaos when more than one flight arrives at a time, and the casually dressed people wandering about with AK-47s are particularly concerning.

5 minutes ago, whitevanman said:

The Sinai isn't safe. I don't think British tourists have been going since that Russian jet came down. I met some Israelis there 10+ years ago. I don't think anywhere is safe for them these days.

The FO say on the Sinai don't travel at all (top bit) or advise against (bottom half).

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/egypt

The Israeli government wouldn't issue this sort of warning lightly, I don't recall a "return home immediately" advice clcoming from the FO.

I thought that British airlines were still not travelling there, that package holidays could not be booked and, most importantly, no British insurer will give you insurance to go there?

Only last week I was reading about the war in the Sinai between the Egyptian military and ISIS/Al Qaeda/whoever. Amazing how so many things where muslims are murdering one another never makes the mainstream UK media.

35 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I thought that British airlines were still not travelling there, that package holidays could not be booked and, most importantly, no British insurer will give you insurance to go there?

Only last week I was reading about the war in the Sinai between the Egyptian military and ISIS/Al Qaeda/whoever. Amazing how so many things where muslims are murdering one another never makes the mainstream UK media.

UK tour operators are taking bookings for Sharm El Sheik for the winter 2017 season now. 

They think it will be given the green light by the FO between now and then. 

When i see the empty sunloungers and derelict hotels in these resorts and others, i think the economic impact must be huge,

and i like to see how the FO manipulate the wording and come up with "traffic light" categories for the UK public travel advice they brief out, they must be really trying to work out how they can get people to start going back to all these resorts. 

I like to think the public have made the decision to boycott them for years to come. 

Alot of people were making a good living ripping off tourists, now they are probably eating grass at the side of the road.

4 minutes ago, WorkingPoor said:

UK tour operators are taking bookings for Sharm El Sheik for the winter 2017 season now. 

They think it will be given the green light by the FO between now and then. 

When i see the empty sunloungers and derelict hotels in these resorts and others, i think the economic impact must be huge,

and i like to see how the FO manipulate the wording and come up with "traffic light" categories for the UK public travel advice they brief out, they must be really trying to work out how they can get people to start going back to all these resorts. 

I like to think the public have made the decision to boycott them for years to come. 

Alot of people were making a good living ripping off tourists, now they are probably eating grass at the side of the road.

The FO thinks it exists for foreigners - especially Arab foreigners. There will be a load of political and financial pressure put on the FO to make the decision to OK hols there again IMPO. I would not trust them at all.

Are the Russians visting there for holiday? Who is? Surely all Europeans have stopped going?

I contacted an old friend yesterday....a lovely woman who is a successful travel writer. Guess where she is......? Marrakesh. Writing her next book.

She's struggling. She feels unsafe. She doesn't think the trip was such a good idea.

I kept my big gob shut....although my brain screamed......'What the fuck is wrong with you people.....do you think the world is still all cuddly and happy?' 

Just now, Wahoo said:

I contacted an old friend yesterday....a lovely woman who is a successful travel writer. Guess where she is......? Marrakesh. Writing her next book.

She's struggling. She feels unsafe. She doesn't think the trip was such a good idea.

I kept my big gob shut....although my brain screamed......'What the fuck is wrong with you people.....do you think the world is still all cuddly and happy?' 

Has the world changed that much though?  The places of the world are not just as the news portrays them. I wouldn't have gone on holiday to Northern Ireland in the 80s but I'm sure that 99% of it for 99% of the time was no different to Somerset.

There are, of course, places that I wouldn't go either because of war, recent war, civil war, or failed state.  Iraq, Syria, Somalia, Sudan, Afghanistan, Yemen etc.

But Marrakesh?  I wouldn't feel that it was a risky destination.

3 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Has the world changed that much though?  The places of the world are not just as the news portrays them. I wouldn't have gone on holiday to Northern Ireland in the 80s but I'm sure that 99% of it for 99% of the time was no different to Somerset.

There are, of course, places that I wouldn't go either because of war, recent war, civil war, or failed state.  Iraq, Syria, Somalia, Sudan, Afghanistan, Yemen etc.

But Marrakesh?  I wouldn't feel that it was a risky destination.

As a woman I wouldn't feel comfortable going there (or any Islamic country).

3 minutes ago, This Time said:

As a woman I wouldn't feel comfortable going there (or any Islamic country).

Yes, I would feel differently if I was a woman going there on my own.

As a man I would say "what's the worst that can happen?" but a male FoF was gang raped in Turkey, apparently he was quite happy to tell people about it.  His way of coping I suppose.

2 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Yes, I would feel differently if I was a woman going there on my own.

As a man I would say "what's the worst that can happen?" but a male FoF was gang raped in Turkey, apparently he was quite happy to tell people about it.  His way of coping I suppose.

I've some female friends who've toured that part of the world. They categorically stated that it would be a cold day in hell before they went back. Lovely country but if your blonde and female prepare to spend your days being dry-humped and having your arse grabbed every thirty seconds apparently. 

Sharm must be dying on its arse just now.

I have been to Morocco a couple of times in the last few years - Marrakesh, Casablanca, Essaouira, Ouarzazate area. Lots of good people but I did notice an edge in certain places, people spitting as you walk past, spanners dropped on the ground behind you, that sort of thing. As a lone male traveller would I go back, probably, but a Tunisia-type incident would change everything. It does seem to be a place that is simmering under.

2 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

The FO thinks it exists for foreigners - especially Arab foreigners. There will be a load of political and financial pressure put on the FO to make the decision to OK hols there again IMPO. I would not trust them at all.

Are the Russians visting there for holiday? Who is? Surely all Europeans have stopped going?

Apparently the hotels are running at about 50% capacity which is not so bad considering, if you have money to spend you are as usual most welcome and I imagine you will be well looked after whilst there. Son went there 18 months ago, did the diving etc but probably stayed on the resort and as such liked it.

I think you're nuts if you go anywhere like Egypt, Morocco, Tunisia etc these days.  You know why?  Because you just don't have to - just go to Tenerife or Goa or something instead.  Why run the Jihadi gauntlet?

15 minutes ago, GARCH said:

I think you're nuts if you go anywhere like Egypt, Morocco, Tunisia etc these days.  You know why?  Because you just don't have to - just go to Tenerife or Goa or something instead.  Why run the Jihadi gauntlet?

There was a warning issued about Goa a few months ago, and a high profile tourist murder there last week, my percentage call is to avoid.

45 minutes ago, Panther said:

I have been to Morocco a couple of times in the last few years - Marrakesh, Casablanca, Essaouira, Oarzazate area. Lots of good people but I did notice an edge in certain places, people spitting as you walk past, spanners dropped on the ground behind you, that sort of thing. As a lone male traveller would I go back, probably, but a Tunisia-type incident would change everything. It does seem to be a place that is simmering under.

Morocco (and Egypt) always had a bit of an edge - that was part of the fun. I had a couple of scrapes in Tetuan in '81

Lower the prices enough and people will go there. As a female there is no way I'd travel anywhere in the Middle East, there's parts of London I don't feel that comfortable walking around, let alone Egypt or Morocco.

Well Dippy, last time I was in Egypt, a revolution had happened. There were tanks and soldiers in the streets of Alexandria. I wanted to take pictures of the tanks but thought twice about it. In retrospect I reckon these blokes would be grinning like monkeys for a small tip!

Then myself and a colleague decided to find the Alexandria library, for it's famousness, and probably legendary collection of Mayfair going back to the 1950s. As we walked into town (something our American bosses thought unwise), we got caught up in some sort of demonstration, with people waving Egyptian flags. Some could speak good English, and they were delighted to know we had come from Scotland. I have never seen such a polite demonstration. Compare that to the hate spitting shouters we see on TV sometimes.

The library was shut, so it must have been Thursday afternoon!