• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Anyone out there doing this?

I started a while back as my energy levels were all over the place and I thought it was down to blood-sugar levels fluctuating wildly. I'm not diabetic (yet!) but I've always loved sweets and fizzy drinks, so they had to go. First time round fizzled out as I couldn't be arsed but I started again about a month ago.

This time, my wife is joining in as she's got quite a bit of cake baby weight to lose. A couple of other friends have been enthused to try by my evangelising and so far they are pretty pleased with their results.

Plus points are better sleeping, no sudden hunger, losing weight and easy to do. Negatives are I can't eat my favorite carbs like sugary things, rice, pasta and bread.

Reason I'm posting about it is we decided to have a night off. I had pizza for lunch, Chinese with chips for dinner, fizzy drinks and a chocolate bar. This was not an atypical day before we started low-carbing, but I feel absolutely fucking awful now! Like I've poisoned myself. My body is telling me that this is not how I'm meant to fuel it.

This was the first time my wife has eaten anything carby in nearly three weeks, but she was craving them so we decided to do it. She is now totally sold on cutting back on carbs; said she didn't realise how good she felt cutting them out until she added them back in.

Not trying to convert anyone but looking for fellow minds!

Went low carb four weeks ago following a blood pressure scare. 28KG to lose, so carbs were reduced to one meal with carbs / day.

One hour swim in the morning is the other trick.

Yes, the effect on health and wellbeing has been amazing. Only 4KG lost so far but sleep quality, energy level and wellness feeling is awesome!

It doesn't matter about carbs

it just matters about Whole Foods and not eating anything processed, and also lifting weights and doing exercise to maintain your aerobic capacity

eat fresh meat, potatoes, rice and fresh veg and fruit and you will feel the difference

i ballooned up to 82kg from 67kg when I lived in France and ate a pastry for breakfast and after work each day because the bus stopped outside a traditional fence bakery

went back to my old diet of meat and veg, cycling 12km a day dor the overall commute, and I was 72kg within 3 months

8 hours ago, Inoperational Bumblebee said:

Anyone out there doing this?

I started a while back as my energy levels were all over the place and I thought it was down to blood-sugar levels fluctuating wildly. I'm not diabetic (yet!) but I've always loved sweets and fizzy drinks, so they had to go. First time round fizzled out as I couldn't be arsed but I started again about a month ago.

This time, my wife is joining in as she's got quite a bit of cake baby weight to lose. A couple of other friends have been enthused to try by my evangelising and so far they are pretty pleased with their results.

Plus points are better sleeping, no sudden hunger, losing weight and easy to do. Negatives are I can't eat my favorite carbs like sugary things, rice, pasta and bread.

Reason I'm posting about it is we decided to have a night off. I had pizza for lunch, Chinese with chips for dinner, fizzy drinks and a chocolate bar. This was not an atypical day before we started low-carbing, but I feel absolutely fucking awful now! Like I've poisoned myself. My body is telling me that this is not how I'm meant to fuel it.

This was the first time my wife has eaten anything carby in nearly three weeks, but she was craving them so we decided to do it. She is now totally sold on cutting back on carbs; said she didn't realise how good she felt cutting them out until she added them back in.

Not trying to convert anyone but looking for fellow minds!

I've gone a few weeks low carb healthy eating  here and there last few years. When I fall off and binge on a load of carbs and processed food, I feel truly awful, it is a sure sign your body saying wtf

Low carb is fine I think, no carb is extreme. I know people who have done the latter.

If you've had a while on the diet then had a carb fest the other day, no wonder you felt shit. That's like being teetotal for a while then getting leathered.

I've lowered my sugars dramatically over the last month. 

I used to have sweets in the car and was constantly snacking on them and seen as I never have breakfast or lunch it was basically my only food source all day. 

I'd then be unable to regulate volume of food in the evening (I've never eaten breakfast or lunch) and completely gorge myself. 

Now without the sweets I can have a sensibly sized evening dinner and still have energy for a 5 mile walk after. Oh and I can sleep within 15 mins of going to bed.

I've been on the Atkins diet for the past 2 months.  I've lost almost 2 stone and near my goal weight (no exercise).  I did have a couple of cheat days were I binged on sugar stuff.  Problem with cheat days is that it took me 4 days to get back into a ketosis state.

Before I lost this weight I had bad heartburn at night in bed which as now disappeared.  I also had small patches of Psoriasis which have also disappeared.  

Now that I'm near my goal weight I'm no sure what to do for maintenance as I will lose too much if I stay on the same diet.  I will try increasing healthy carbs to find the right amount.

Sugar is poison.

I have started having dark chocolate around for when I get an urge. Far lower sugar than normal stuff and due to the bitterness after a few blocks I'm done. 

19 minutes ago, montecristo said:

I've been on the Atkins diet for the past 2 months.  I've lost almost 2 stone and near my goal weight (no exercise).  I did have a couple of cheat days were I binged on sugar stuff.  Problem with cheat days is that it took me 4 days to get back into a ketosis state.

Before I lost this weight I had bad heartburn at night in bed which as now disappeared.  I also had small patches of Psoriasis which have also disappeared.  

Now that I'm near my goal weight I'm no sure what to do for maintenance as I will lose too much if I stay on the same diet.  I will try increasing healthy carbs to find the right amount.

Sugar is poison.

I would also strongly disagree. Too much is of course.

Our pallets are designed to want it. That's not a mistake of nature. 

2 minutes ago, ccc said:

I have started having dark chocolate around for when I get an urge. Far lower sugar than normal stuff and due to the bitterness after a few blocks I'm done. 

True, I think are pallets have been designed for sugar when we stumbled across a bee hive during our hunter gathers years.  But not designed for every day consumption.

I must try the dark chocolate for those cravings.

3 minutes ago, ccc said:

Trouble is most of our sugar is refined to within an inch of its life. That stuff is definitely poison. 

2 minutes ago, ccc said:

Our pallets are designed to want it but the amount of sugar you can get from eating foraged fruit that hasn't been bred for sweetness is minimal, plus that sugar comes with fibre (reduces blood sugar spike) and vitamins. Also, fruit would not have been available all year round and putting weight on in the summer to see you through the winter months would be beneficial.

27 minutes ago, This Time said:

... Also, fruit would not have been available all year round and putting weight on in the summer to see you through the winter months would be beneficial.

I don't think you can actually put weight on from eating fruit. There seems to be something self regulating that prevents you wanting too much. Dried fruits excepted. And possibly fruit juice.

edit: My own theory is, the sugar rush encourages breeding, resulting in nicely timed births in the folowing spring.

Edited by steppensheep

Sorry but...

pallet

• n.
    A projection on a machine part, such as a pawl for controlling the motion of a ratchet wheel in a watch escapement, that engages the teeth of a ratchet wheel to convert reciprocating motion to rotary motion or vice versa.
  • n.
    A wooden, shovellike potter's tool used for mixing and shaping clay.
  • n.
    A metal tool used for printing on book bindings.

palate

• n.
    The roof of the mouth in vertebrates having a complete or partial separation of the oral and nasal cavities and consisting of the hard palate and the soft palate.
  • n.
    Botany The projecting part on the lower lip of a bilabiate corolla that closes the throat, as in a snapdragon.
  • n.
    The sense of taste: delicacies pleasing to the most refined palate.

On 09/07/2017 at 11:27, steppensheep said:

I don't think you can actually put weight on from eating fruit. There seems to be something self regulating that prevents you wanting too much. Dried fruits excepted. And possibly fruit juice.

edit: My own theory is, the sugar rush encourages breeding, resulting in nicely timed births in the folowing spring.

In the UK the month with most babies born is September.  This suggests that procreation is triggered by longer nights.  If there was a coincident dietary stimulus to procreation it would be the body running on stored veg and meat/fat. 

Low carb is the only thing that's ever worked for me. Tried dieting loads over the years and got nowhere. About 2 years ago I discovered low carb and lost about 2st in 6 months. Then, with about a stone left to go, decided I'd had enough and would lose that with a 'normal' diet.

2 years later I've lost none of it. I've counted calories of every bite, been running miles every week, weight lifting. The best I've done is 2-3 pounds lost in a week, only to gain it back within a couple of weeks, despite almost religiously sticking to it. So annoying. Calories in calories out, despite it making logical sense, just doesn't seem to apply to me!

So as of 2 weeks ago, back on the low carb. 1/2 a stone gone already, no effort, no exercise, no hunger. This way of eating just seems 'right' . On a higher carb diet I'm hungry every couple of hours, even ravenous sometimes. Low carb I have to remind myself to eat, and just feel better generally

the only problem is I do miss the carbs, because they are delicious! All the nice food is Carby, and I get very tired of meat and cheese and nuts. So i know it won't last forever, but I'll do my best, then take it from there 

Edited by Workingfortheman

9 minutes ago, Workingfortheman said:

Low carb is the only thing that's ever worked for me. Tried dieting loads over the years and got nowhere. About 2 years ago I discovered low carb and lost about 2st in 6 months. Then, with about a stone left to go, decided I'd had enough and would lose that with a 'normal' diet.

2 years later I've lost none of it. I've counted calories of every bite, been running miles every week, weight lifting. The best I've done is 2-3 pounds lost in a week, only to gain it back within a couple of weeks, despite almost religiously sticking to it. So annoying. Calories in calories out, despite it making logical sense, just doesn't seem to apply to me!

So as of 2 weeks ago, back on the low carb. 1/2 a stone gone already, no effort, no exercise, no hunger. This way of eating just seems 'right' . On a higher carb diet I'm hungry every couple of hours, even ravenous sometimes. Low carb I have to remind myself to eat, and just feel better generally

the only problem is I do miss the carbs, because they are delicious! All the nice food is Carby, and I get very tired of meat and cheese and nuts. So i know it won't last forever, but I'll do my best, then take it from there 

Sums up my experience too.  Started with atkins and dropped near 2 stone.  Then tried the one meal a day eat whatever you like, now the pounds are slowly creeping up again.  I'm back on the low carb. 

I just can't kick the sugar addiction.

On 09/07/2017 at 05:36, Uptherebels said:

@Inoperational Bumblebee are you doing the low Carbs, high fat thing? Or just low Carbs? My Mrs is doing the former. 

Sorry, missed this last time round! Low carb high fat. You've got to get your energy from somewhere! I've got a pot of coconut oil on my desk at work I just eat spoonfuls of...

As previously mentioned I'm not doing it for weight loss, but I have lost weight. I'm actually going to have to buy some 32" waist trousers after moving up from them a good few years back as my 34s are getting proper baggy now. Enough that it's obvious my clothes are too big.

Wife is also doing well. Noticeably slimmer and looking like a darling again. Just wish the sodding baby would sleep so we can enjoy some adult time!

I've been on a no bread/wheat, white potato and pasta routine for 3 weeks. I feel healthier and have lost some weight (noticeable after 2 weeks). It takes a bit of planning initially, so cooking ahead to always have something to go to in the fridge come meal times. Humous and oatcakes to stave off snacky pangs. 

I've also been on a special diet. No meat, no fish, no sugars of any kind, so no carbohydrates. I've had a feeling of wellness and energy levels that I haven't had in 15+ years.

Though I did go from feeling full of energy to barely being able to get off the sofa in the space of ten minutes in the first week or so. Feeling so lacking in energy I can barely summon the mental energy to actually cook anything. That did pass.

This has nothing to do with losing weight, which I don't need to do, and everything to do with a malfunctioning digestive system.

I previously ate a diet consisting of only freshly prepared food, all vegetarian, maybe a little too much cheese and butter, but a good and varied diet. So I put the differences down less to the diet and more to the things I've been excluding which upset my system.

Having done that for a month or so and had the medication for the condition (called candida) I have tried reintroducing foods. Still can't eat yeast or cheese and alcohol is still a no-go with the single exception of wine. I can tolerate small quantities (no more than two glasses in an evening) of that reasonably well.

Even though I didn't go from packet meals and eating shite all the time, it's still an eye-opener when I see what people do put in their trolleys, and it makes me wonder to what extent many more people have some kind of food allergies and intolerances than they realise.