• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Sideysid

Mum with just 14p to her name tells full story of desperate Universal Credit plight

2 minutes ago, Sideysid said:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/mum-just-14p-name-tells-21033235

We’ll be seeing a lot more of these stories in the next few years.

Sensational headline, the ‘poor woman can’t feed her son you Tory bastards’ or there abouts.

Read further you realise she complains about budgeting monthly rather than fortnightly is the main reason why she’s broke.

Read further still her starving son is 19 years old.  

Echoing Spy on here, but it’s a prime example of Browns tax credits coming to the end of the gravy train. Going from the equivalent of a £30k with one kid tax credit salary to JSA is like a cliff edge drop.

The thick ones don’t understand that however, and get caught out and blame the system.

The clued up ones make sure they pop out enough sprogs heading just past the 40’s to see themselves through.

Yeah .. Ive heard many tails of woe ,,, I cant feed my kids .....

OK, do the school provide free meals?

Oh my kids are 22 and 24 ...

Her son Bradley is 19 this month and Rachel says he's the only thing keeping her going, the only thing she has to live for.

"As long as my son is eating, I can manage," she says.

"He's a growing boy, he's at college four days a week so my main priority is making sure he's fed, he's happy - and looking for a permanent house."

Her FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/rachel.finn.794

First post shown, for the nonFBers

A poster with the  text 'I need a hug that results in wild sex'

Any takers?

0_MYP_CHP_051219grimsby_5057JPG.jpg

4 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Her son Bradley is 19 this month and Rachel says he's the only thing keeping her going, the only thing she has to live for.

"He's a growing boy, he's at college four days a week so my main priority is making sure he's fed, he's happy - and looking for a permanent house."

Her FB page:

Any takers?

Under work she has:

”full time mummy”

oh ffs, get a job and get your feckless 19 year old off his backside too. 

Pam said in November last year roughly 700 people come into the foodbank. This November it was 1,600.

She said: "It's a lot to do with Universal Credit. There is a lack of employment. The North gets ignored."

By putting ~70% of the udner 50s on lucrative TCs and the other 30% in made up public sector jobs, the job market has been destroyed.

Most employers bar a load of crap food shops which run on 16h batches to get TC, have gone.

The lucrative benefits system withdrew all labour, so the employers left.

Edited by spygirl

I also think the video is good, the reporter desperately tries to shoehorn a bit of ‘ do you think it’s because of Brexit’ in there and she fully admits she’s hasn’t got a scooby about any of it leaving him high and dry.

I agree with most of the above but her problem is partly caused by one factor of UC with which I disagree: monthly payment.

The switch to this from weekly payment of previous benefits was an ideological one based upon people in work being paid monthly so people out of work should be paid the same way so that they learn how to budget.

This however causes problems because many people who are unemployed are unemployed for a reason and they're not going to have great ability in managing money.

Take it back to weekly payments, which won't cost anything as you're not paying people any more, and then people like this woman who are unable to budget don't keep running short of money towards the end of the month.

It does seem a simple fix.

4 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Shes 38, 'sonny' is 19.

So, she'd have been knocked up at 18.

Shes gone from school -> single mum to unemployable;e almost 40 yo.

Anu idea of how much tax shes paid, you know, to keep the system going?

She ain’t 38?  o.O  i oook better than that and ive almost 20 years on her. Clearly the not working and getting loads of free stuff has been hard on her. 

4 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I agree with most of the above but her problem is partly caused by one factor of UC with which I disagree: monthly payment.

The switch to this from weekly payment of previous benefits was an ideological one based upon people in work being paid monthly so people out of work should be paid the same way so that they learn how to budget.

This however causes problems because many people who are unemployed are unemployed for a reason and they're not going to have great ability in managing money.

Take it back to weekly payments, which won't cost anything as you're not paying people any more, and then people like this woman who are unable to budget don't keep running short of money towards the end of the month.

It does seem a simple fix.

With a 19 year old, no matter how much she still sees him as a child, she will be getting very little in the way of handouts  

Just now, One percent said:

With a 19 year old, no matter how much she still sees him as a child, she will be getting very little in the way of handouts  

She'll be entitled to the low earners - so 200 plus rent for a 1bed room flat.

She lives in Grimsby.

If the pair of them got off thei arses - her 60h/w, which is what she faces now for the rest of her life, then shed earn 20kish.

Son only at college 4 days =- if he goes. So could work weeknd and bring in 500/m easily.

1 minute ago, Malthus said:

The non working working class never have any money 

To be fair she is a victim of a system that let her away with not working for 19 years  ever and now expects her to find 35 hours a week of employment

Would any employer pay someone of that age NLW with no experience who will whinge constantly over a smart 18yo or an EE migrant worker ? 

Shes gone school -> bennies, no working inbetween.

1 minute ago, Malthus said:

The non working working class never have any money 

To be fair she is a victim of a system that let her away with not working for 19 years  and now expects her to find 35 hours a week of employment

Would any employer pay someone of that age NLW with no experience who will whinge constantly over a smart 18yo or an EE migrant worker ? 

Nope, she's pretty much unemployable unless she does something to change her position: volunteering or suchlike.

Most employers would always take the experienced EE over the inexperienced 18yo Brit; hence the big push on apprenticeships to get them into work.

42 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Her FB page:

Any takers?

How did people survive before tax credits....

I do agree with Franks point on weekly benefit payments.

The monthly cycle has been introduced purely for ease of government administration without any real thought as to the consequences.

Edited by Virgil Caine

39 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Pam said in November last year roughly 700 people come into the foodbank. This November it was 1,600.

She said: "It's a lot to do with Universal Credit. There is a lack of employment. The North gets ignored."

By putting ~70% of the udner 50s on lucrative YCs and the other 30% in made up public sector jobs, the job market has been destroyed.

Most employers bar a load of crap food shops which run on 16h batches to get TC, have gone.

The lucrative benefits system withdrew all labour, so the employers left.

have you an example of employers leaving due to this ?

2 minutes ago, spunko said:

I don't understand why this would help them. If they cannot budget then they must be forced to learn how. The vast majority of people on UC have learned, we only hear about the idiots. 

You're doing the same though: putting ideology before practicality.

Why must they be "forced" to learn how to budget?

The benefit is paid to provide food, housing, clothing, utility bills and paying it weekly means that these are more likely to be where the money goes leaving a small amount for fags or whatever.

Yes they should be able to budget but they should also be working; if they're not doing either then pay benefits in a way that means they will cope more easily.

4 minutes ago, One percent said:

Becasue thats what big girls and boys are expected to do.  It’s called growing up and taking responsibility for yourself. Zero sympathy Frank. 

By that logic, they should be handed fivers daily to make life easier.

11 minutes ago, spunko said:

Why doesn't she have fibromyalgia?

Nailed it. She's never going to have to work, she'll have herself declared disabled and clamber back on the gravy train. Too easy.