• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Sugarlips

The ‘like brands only cheaper’ thread

Not specific to Aldi but they are rather good at imitation 

Im partial to the occasional Baileys with ice at Christmas, I find O’Donnells to be a perfectly acceptable alternative as a nightcap, any possible flavour inferiority not noticed as my tastebuds have been killed with other alcoholic indulgence prior, cheers.

3B15A4D7-F480-4B2D-8576-5B86DC41E7A7.jpeg

Supermarket branded 'lemsip' VS actual lemsip.

Look at the ingredients on the back. They are exactly - and I mean exactly - the same. The only difference is that the unbranded ones are about a quid and the lemsips are a fiver.

Additional bonus super info - Add a lemsip to a whiskey filled hot toddy. It's like a nuclear bomb for a cold and you slip into quite a satisfying coma too. 

Just don't think too much about your liver...

Are you Australian? Do you yearn for a Rolls Royce, but cannot afford one? Do you seek the adoration of beautiful women who find their way around with a white stick?

Why not transform your mundane Holden Kingswood into a mundane fake Rolls with an Au$30,000 Glammer body kit?

At 60mph, the loudest sound will be the ticking of your fake Rolex.

image.png.3dfd6df05da39f03839ade0fe127b400.png

(No longer available - sorry)

44 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

Supermarket branded 'lemsip' VS actual lemsip.

Look at the ingredients on the back. They are exactly - and I mean exactly - the same. The only difference is that the unbranded ones are about a quid and the lemsips are a fiver.

Additional bonus super info - Add a lemsip to a whiskey filled hot toddy. It's like a nuclear bomb for a cold and you slip into quite a satisfying coma too. 

Just don't think too much about your liver...

This is true of many branded over-the-counter pharma products. And the quality of meds is tightly controlled so there shouldn't be any quality issues either.

More broadly speaking, the supermarket brand versions of anything are often indistinguishable from the more well known brands (sometimes even better). But DOSBODers know that.

Supermarket basics meat (provided it's UK reared) is usually better than the 'finest', 'simply the best' etc ranges, the latter have extra water added to improve their cooking for people who can't cook so you are simply paying for water.

For a short while my brother worked in a dairy. Seemingly the milk for the premium supermarkets is the exact same as the cheap ones.

As a rule I try to buy "own label". It's partly for the cost saving and partly due to the advertising industry.... How can Walker crisps not see Gary Lineker is a marmite figure? I also hate the number of black men with white women in advertising land....

6 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

Supermarket basics meat (provided it's UK reared) is usually better than the 'finest', 'simply the best' etc ranges, the latter have extra water added to improve their cooking for people who can't cook so you are simply paying for water.

Really? That's not my experience. The basics is filled full of water to keep the price down.

3 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

Really? That's not my experience. The basics is filled full of water to keep the price down.

Are you thinking of bacon ? That is different as that is a process. It's all the extra handling in pork chops etc that increases the price. Every process adds a cost. The base product, the meat, is cheap, unless you are going for extra hanging time, which is different.

Edited by Hopeful

4 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

Are you thinking of bacon ? That is different as that is a process. It's all the extra handling in pork chops etc that increases the price. Every process adds a cost. The base product, the meat, is cheap, unless you are going for extra hanging time, which is different.

No, everything.

The cheaper stuff is always higher water, higher fat.

Often take the basics Serloins at Lidl and have jad no conplaints.

Have also had their "Delux" "Aged" beef roasting joint and they're very hit and miss. Selecting a beef joint is a thread in itself as a result I tend to stick to lamb legs, a roast, a curry and a bone for the mutt, everyone's a winner.

20191207_081751.jpg

22 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

I can’t cook but I’ve put pork sausages veg mushrooms etc into my slow cooker just,no idea what I’m doing or makeing should be interesting in about 11 hours not to fussed about added water has I’ve put lots in I put the cheap bits in

5 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Lidl Gold Blend type coffee.

The best instant coffee there is bar the really expensive ones that come in small tins.

Some of that African instant is very nice

12 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

No, everything.

The cheaper stuff is always higher water, higher fat.

https://www.bakeryandsnacks.com/Article/2004/07/19/Water-injected-meat-the-UK-s-latest-food-scandal264104508_ScreenShot2019-12-07at08_22_26.png.19c9515ae8d49c9b0520ea56bfec2b7c.png

They ain't the only ones and that ain't the only product

By basics, get more meat for your money, and learn to cook

Edited by Hopeful

11 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Lidl Gold Blend type coffee.

The best instant coffee there is bar the really expensive ones that come in small tins.

Douwe Egberts Pure Indulgence is the best in my opinion.

Bought in bulk when offer, less than £4.50. Otherwise it's Lidl's Columbian roast one.

4 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

https://www.bakeryandsnacks.com/Article/2004/07/19/Water-injected-meat-the-UK-s-latest-food-scandal264104508_ScreenShot2019-12-07at08_22_26.png.19c9515ae8d49c9b0520ea56bfec2b7c.png

They ain't the only ones and that ain't the only product

By basics, get more meat for your money, and learn to cook

The funny thing is you believe the Tesco's man. Of course it's added for cost. Imagine if it improved the cooking but made the product more expensive, do you think they'd still be so concerned?

Water is cheaper than meat, to argue otherwise is just, well, perverse.

21 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

The funny thing is you believe the Tesco's man. Of course it's added for cost. Imagine if it improved the cooking but made the product more expensive, do you think they'd still be so concerned?

Water is cheaper than meat, to argue otherwise is just, well, perverse.

But the finest range IS more expensive. You pay more than the basic range

They may charge a premium on top for 'finest' but the process of adding water is a handling charge, it requires investment in a machine to inject the water for a start, the injection process takes time, it all adds cost.

The meat 'tastes', well seems to 'taste' better simply because it stays more juicy when overcooked. Just learn to cook

Basics is the same basic meat but better as it doesn't contain water and you're not being fleeced on price..

With pork the problem is that people won't eat it pink. That is a hangover from the days (not so long ago) when you could get nasty parasitic infections from undercooked pork meat. Today, effective worming means that UK pork is parasite free so you can safely eat it pink. I wouldn't trust EU pork.

Anyway, for whatever reason Tesco's and others add the water, finest ranges contain more than basics.

Edited by Hopeful

2 hours ago, Happy Renting said:

Are you Australian? Do you yearn for a Rolls Royce, but cannot afford one? Do you seek the adoration of beautiful women who find their way around with a white stick?

Why not transform your mundane Holden Kingswood into a mundane fake Rolls with an Au$30,000 Glammer body kit?

At 60mph, the loudest sound will be the ticking of your fake Rolex.

image.png.3dfd6df05da39f03839ade0fe127b400.png

(No longer available - sorry)

The irony being that buying an old Kingswood now would cost you more than an old Roller

35 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

I can’t cook but I’ve put pork sausages veg mushrooms etc into my slow cooker just,no idea what I’m doing or makeing should be interesting in about 11 hours not to fussed about added water has I’ve put lots in I put the cheap bits in

Some of that African instant is very nice

Stick a can of Guiness or cider in as well, it will work wonders if you remember to open the tin first of course.

Go on try it, it is amazing what a bit of booze can do.

9 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

Stick a can of Guiness or cider in as well, it will work wonders if you remember to open the tin first of course.

Go on try it, it is amazing what a bit of booze can do.

Will try that next time I’ve only got port open and I’m not going there again

Aldi sold a name-brand bottle of mould & mildew treatment, it was several quid for a 500ml bottle.

Dilute sodium hypochlorate >5% surfactants and perfume.

In other words, the same as dilute household bleach, 29p for 2L in Tescos.

Perhaps the perfume was Chanel No.5 instead of lemon.

Edited by Happy Renting

I like perfume but don't like paying 70 quid a bottle to fund their ridiculous marketing. So I buy replica instead, usually from https://uk.milton-lloyd.com/

Use the site below first to find the name of the replica you want.

https://smell-a-likes.com/

7 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

Aldi sold a name-brand bottle of mould & mildew treatment, it was several quid for a 500ml bottle.

Dilute sodium hypochlorate >5% surfactants and perfume.

In other words, the same as dilute household bleach, 29p for 2L in Tescos.

Perhaps the perfume was Chanel No.5 instead of lemon.

I buy it like this

https://www.samuelkirk.co.uk/hypochlorite-solution-red-label-25ltr-12738-p.asp

nlm51oqb.1j4.6066225-deosan_red_label_hypo_ag311-20l.jpg