DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Wifes wants to buy a house

Kurt Barlow

Kurt Barlow

Wife wants to buy a house . In principal we are in a good position. Combined income of approx 100K with a decent deposit. However I can't help but feel we are on the edge of waves thats just about to crash. I'm 44 and wife 41. I really dont want to risk extending my working life by 10 years to finance a grand folly.

I wouldn't mind if houses were overpriced but we could buy something decent with a small mortgage however here in North London to get something half decent we will need to take out a 300K plus mortgage...

What tactics have you guys used in similar situations (those not MGTOW...)

Thombleached

If you need to be in London, how about commuting in from Herts/Essex. 

Or the obvious suggestion which I'm sure you're expecting; move ooop north. 

assetrichcashpoor

It's not a deliberate stalling tactic but one thing that puts my wife and I off moving is that we haven't been able to find a house that ticks all the boxes. Even ignoring price limits there's nothing on the market that is right for us. 

Could you find two or three must haves that you insist you need but will be nearly impossible to find in combination? i.e. off street parking, rear access to a garden so it's easy to get the bins out and within x minutes walk of the right tube stop. 

Frank Hovis

Phew, what poor timing :-(

Maybe just push for somewhere cheaper then you won't be hit as hard by a crash and, if there is no crash, then you have a home and could look at trading up.

Kurt Barlow
10 minutes ago, wherebee said:

It's a really tough one.  Logic is not going to win you this discussion.

How old are you both?  Do you have kids?

Me 44, Her 41

One child - turns 2 next month.

Her view is - its different now from 89-95 as there are millions of 'Property minded' chinese and Indians looking for a home for their money and who don't trust banks.

swiss_democracy_for_all
4 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

Wife wants to buy a house . In principal we are in a good position. Combined income of approx 100K with a decent deposit. However I can't help but feel we are on the edge of waves thats just about to crash. I'm 44 and wife 41. I really dont want to risk extending my working life by 10 years to finance a grand folly.

I wouldn't mind if houses were overpriced but we could buy something decent with a small mortgage however here in North London to get something half decent we will need to take out a 300K plus mortgage...

Your missus is Iranian I think? Tell her you think that London will be the first European city to adopt Sharia Law, just in time for any daughters you have to be growing up in it. She will probably be more sensitive to this idea than most....

More seriously, given the standard of politician that the UK has, does anyone think a big crash will be allowed to happen? I would think the Magic Money Tree will be wheeled out again. So in GBP terms at least, the investment might not be as bad as all that. Holidays abroad might get expensive though.

Kurt Barlow
8 minutes ago, assetrichcashpoor said:

It's not a deliberate stalling tactic but one thing that puts my wife and I off moving is that we haven't been able to find a house that ticks all the boxes. Even ignoring price limits there's nothing on the market that is right for us. 

Could you find two or three must haves that you insist you need but will be nearly impossible to find in combination? i.e. off street parking, rear access to a garden so it's easy to get the bins out and within x minutes walk of the right tube stop. 

That maybe our saviour as she is very fussy.

I also thought about secretly putting in loads of dodgy credit card applications and destroy my credit rating!

Kurt Barlow
13 minutes ago, Thombleached said:

If you need to be in London, how about commuting in from Herts/Essex. 

Or the obvious suggestion which I'm sure you're expecting; move ooop north. 

My job is central London (possibly moving to Stratford in a year or two). She is in Grays.

One possible choice would be the Langdon end of Basildon - at least there you can get a decent detatched house for half a million!

The Generation Game

Tell her you've moved from Cambridge to Saudi to Aus and then to London in a short space of time. Whilst you would like to put down roots, the current climate in London suggests that a call now might be better than "all-in". 

assetrichcashpoor
1 minute ago, Kurt Barlow said:

That maybe our saviour as she is very fussy.

I also thought about secretly putting in loads of dodgy credit card applications and destroy my credit rating!

Bearing in mind you might be stuck there for a very long time I think it's not fussy just prudent. We bought in 2010 in the belief that our first house would be our last house and it was as future proof as we could afford. We are thinking of moving to help ease our commuting but we plan this to be our last move. Despite still being in our 30s we're looking for a bungalow, within a 10 minute walking distance of the train station and the shops, with good rear access and space to extend/build a garage etc but doesn't need any work doing. We've identified the specific area and have found there are potentially 10 bungalows that meet our criteria. 

One percent
6 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

My job is central London (possibly moving to Stratford in a year or two). She is in Grays.

One possible choice would be the Langdon end of Basildon - at least there you can get a decent detatched house for half a million!

If you are looking to go east (check this as my knowledge is a little dated and places change), I would suggest looking at Brentwood, Billericay, or Upminster.  I would suggest avoiding Basildon - one huge council estate.

My view (and I have been proved wrong for the last ten years) is that we are due a crash so I would hold off.  If we don't have a crash my two offspring are living with me until I pop me clogs.  So, here's hoping

Kurt Barlow

One trick I might try is out of my own pocket (pre marriage investments)  bunging an extra 250 a month into a rental and get something nicer than we could buy

Kurt Barlow
1 minute ago, One percent said:

If you are looking to go east (check this as my knowledge is a little dated and places change), I would suggest looking at Brentwood, Billericay, or Upminster.  I would suggest avoiding Basildon - one huge council estate.

My view (and I have been proved wrong for the last ten years) is that we are due a crash so I would hold off.  If we don't have a crash my two offspring are living with me until I pop me clogs.  So, here's hoping

I like the look of upminster, Wifey does too.

Alternatively its Enfield where I have quite a few relatives.

30 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

A mate moved back to NI about 8 years ago and rented out his London flat 

decided it was time to to sell up in January this year, sold for the asking price in two days to a buyer with no chain and mortgage in place 

the completion date kept slipping, blaming surveyors and solicitors 

anyway they finally said complete in two weeks or it's back on the market 

the day before the deadline they were told the lender valued the property £60k less than the offered price , take £60k less or the deals off

now back on the market 

this is exactly how the crash started in NI and we had 50% drops from the peak of the bubble 

• Agree 1

Kurt Barlow
Just now, Malthus said:

A mate moved back to NI about 8 years ago and rented out his London flat 

decided it was time to to sell up in January this year, sold for the asking price in two days to a buyer with no chain and mortgage in place 

the completion date kept slipping, blaming surveyors and solicitors 

anyway they finally said complete in two weeks or it's back on the market 

the day before the deadline they were told the lender valued the property £60k less than the offered price , take £60k less or the deals off

now back on the market 

this is exactly how the crash started in NI and we had 50% drops from the peak of the bubble 

Thanks for the heads up.

I am more turning to my 'rental investment' plan out of my own funds. The wife and I manage our repsective pre-marriage investments (yes - she actually has some!) separately.

I reckon 3K out of my own pocket for 2018 will be a safer spend than dumping 250K of my own money into a deposit for a house.

• Agree 2

Virgil Caine
52 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

Does your wife read horoscopes and take an interest in astrology ?

If so tell her that Saturn will move into Capricorn in December 2017 for two and a half years. The last time this happened was in the period 1988-1991.  That is the last time  UK house prices began to suffer a major decline. If she thinks it's coincidence point out that one of the previous times Saturn was in Capricorn was from 1929-1932 at the start of the Great Depression.

Of course it may all be utter bollocks but then so are most predictions by economists so you probably are as well off listening to Mystic Meg.

Anyway all the signs from our friends on TOS is that London prices are past their peak and maybe in for a significant correction so why hurry to buy.

Edited by Flirtygirty

Wight Flight

I think the next six months will be telling. Prices will either stagnate or fall. I don't think they will rise. Jan 2018 would be a better time to decide if jumping in would be wise.

You are also unclear about your preferred location. There for it makes total sense to rent in your chosen location for 6 months to confirm or otherwise your choice.

Wight Flight

But i would agree that adding a few £ to the rent budget would be sensible. Remember that if values fall even 0.3% per month, your rent is in a funny was free compared to owning.

sleepwello'nights
4 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

But i would agree that adding a few £ to the rent budget would be sensible. Remember that if values fall even 0.3% per month, your rent is in a funny was free compared to owning.

I'd look at it the other way. What's the cost of the mortgage opposed to the rent you're paying. the differential may even be in your favour given how low interest rates are currently. Your risk then is whether house prices fall. Even if they do provided you can afford to pay the mortgage you can just sit tight with security of ownership instead of security of tenure at the whim of the landlord.

Fully Detached

Personally I'd avoid all suggestion of a crash in prices, because i) as most of us here know damn well, they've defied gravity for this long, so why not another decade or so, and ii) because the more you try to convince someone of something that they don't want to hear, the more they'll rail against it.

What worked for me was finding a damn near perfect house that I really wanted to buy back in 2013 or so, but that the Mrs. didn't like it so I very reluctantly let it go. Prices took off again after that, and wife now has more skin in the HPC game than I do because she doesn't want to lose any more face than she has already.

Meantime I just have to lay out the rent every month because she didn't like the location of the fucking utility room.

• Agree 1

Kurt Barlow
30 minutes ago, Flirtygirty said:

Does your wife read horoscopes and take an interest in Astrology ?

If so tell her that Saturn will move into Capricorn in December 2017 for two and a half years. The last time this happened was in the period 1988-1991.  That is the last time  UK house prices began to suffer a major decline. If she thinks it's coincidence point out that one of the previous times Saturn was in Capricorn from 1929-1932 at the start of the Great Depression.

Of course it may all be utter bollocks but then so are most predictions by economists so you probably are as well off listening to Mystic Meg.

No but I can try. She believes in Karma though.

22 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

Bizarrely, I think she may be right. Looking back to the 70s, which is exactly where we're heading once Corbyn is PM, one of the very few stores of wealth available to normal people was houses. They weren't a great store as they did devalue somewhat once inflation was factored in, but they were better than the alternatives.

But there are quite a few deflationary pressures as far as London goes.

Banking sector on the move?

Proposals to move Channel 4 to Birmingham?

1 hour ago, Kurt Barlow said:

Now + in the future, UK houses are going to be bought by UK people, mainly below 4.5 household income minus ongoing spend.

As far as CHinese, Indians of fucknowhere stanis buying UK housing ... get your wife to have a look on the current fo4ign help property taxation.

A few years ago, UK property offeed a very cheap way to launder money/remove it from a country.

No more. The rules of money laundering are big now.

And the taxation of non residents will see everty penny spent on a UK house extracted over a 10 year period.

Just wait for the squeels of the mainly asians who've 'invested' in battersea as both theirproperty crashes and they have to pay a jefy tax every year.

Bascially, intentionally or not, fori3gn buyer of UK property since 2008 have been played. Theyd have been ebtter doing the cup game with the Albanians on Westminster bridge.

SpectrumFX

I was on a similar position.

I dragged it out for years, and then bought a house.

Then she wanted a bigger one.

xD

• Agree 1