DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

This weeks UK No 1 single

Sugarlips

...is: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dance_Monkey

Somehow this throwaway track has spent the last 20 weeks at No1 in Australia and has now also been the U.K. No1 for several weeks as well.

bizarre given she (?) looks like a character created by Harry Enfield with more than a hint of Jimmy Saville thrown in. clearly I’m getting old...

7FE6FE2C-AE1A-4F9C-B16D-2ADF9E29AEFD.jpeg

It's distinctive, which can be enough these days.  It does nothing for me.  Thank you Australia.

On the same page was this oddity which was huge in the US earlier this year.  I do actually like this one but it came from a very odd source of an instrumental purchased for $30 plus a sample.

The song has been widely labeled as "country rap", a genre that had only become mainstream a year prior to release. Dutch beat producer YoungKio produced the instrumental and made it available for purchase online in 2018. It features a sample of a banjo from the instrumental piece "34 Ghosts IV" by American industrial rock band Nine Inch Nails. The sample was placed behind trap-style Roland TR-808 drums and bass. Lil Nas X purchased the instrumental for US$30 and recorded "Old Town Road" in one day. At the time, he had been living with his sister after dropping out of college; his real world struggles served as an influence on some of the lyrics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Town_Road

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so the Christmas No1 was the charity cover record of I Love Rock n Roll but made about sausage rolls, doesn’t really bare mentioning (think I almost preferred Mr Blobby) except that it’s notable that this is the 2nd year they’ve got the coveted Christmas number one with a sausage song which is an impressive feat.

so moving swiftly on, this weeks number one is River by Ellie Goulding, not a bad effort in a harmless Sarah McLaughlin/Tori Amos ‘90’s b side kind of way, not sure quite how it shifted enough copies but good on her for sticking with a traditional style

This week is Own It, Stormzy with Ed Sheeran.

Looks to be popular amongst tweenage gym junkies and I guess Jan 1 is when fitness commitments are made.. 

Interesting that whilst it’s also charting at #2 in Eire it’s barely troubled the charts in most other countries (82 in Canada, 80 in Portugal etc), possibly as it’s the fourth single from the same album, possibly because he’s ‘too London’ but I thought having Ed on board = global smash guaranteed.

it sold 18072 units in the UK this week which is ridiculously low for a UK number one ie out of 70million people - long gone are the days of the million seller it seems

15 hours ago, Sugarlips said:

it sold 18072 units in the UK this week which is ridiculously low for a UK number one ie out of 70million people - long gone are the days of the million seller it seems

Almost a record breaker!

Lowest selling number one

The lowest weekly sale for a number one single is 17,694 copies held by Orson's "No Tomorrow" in 2006.[11]

The addition of downloads to the UK charts meant that singles could reach number one with no physical copy being released. The first single to achieve this was Gnarls Barkley's "Crazy" in early 2006. Since 2014, audio streaming has been included in the calculation of chart position, so it is now possible for a single to reach number one without selling any copies (if it were only available on streaming services). In the week ending 24 September 2015, "What Do You Mean?" by Justin Bieber became the first number one with over half of its chart sales made up of streaming points, with sales of 30,000 and 36,000 points from 3.6 million streams.

Since the incorporation of streaming into the singles chart, the Official Charts Company have continued to compile a sales only chart. In week ending 27 April 2017 "Sign of the Times" by Harry Styles became the first number one in the sales only chart to sell less than "No Tomorrow" by Orson, with 16,686 copies.[12]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UK_Singles_Chart_records_and_statistics#Lowest_selling_number_one

Compared with (same link):

Fastest selling singles

The fastest selling single in chart history is "Candle in the Wind 1997" by Elton John which sold 1.55 million copies in its first week (it sold 658,000 on the first day of release, 13 September 1997).[18]

The fastest selling debut single is "Anything Is Possible/Evergreen" by Will Young, which sold 1.11 million copies in its first week on sale.[19] Publicity had built up due to the televised talent contest Pop Idol with 8.7 million people phoning in to vote for the finalists.[20]

The fastest selling single by a girl group is the Spice Girls "2 Become 1" which sold over 462,000 copies during its first week on sale

It's rougly 1% of the Candle in the Wind weekly sales.

Pop stars are getting poorer.

• 1 month later...

This week it’s Blinding Lights by The Weeknd, have to say I like the vocal delivery and his range, the production is top notch and it’s very hooky, the video is well shot and suits the guys persona, definite thumbs up from me. Was also a fan of his last really big hit Can’t Feel My Face 3/4 years back.

2 thumbs up here (but I’ve always been a sucker for the mainstream classics, since back in the Cyndi Lauper days)

Edited by Sugarlips
  • Agree 1

On 07/01/2020 at 16:11, Frank Hovis said:

Almost a record breaker!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UK_Singles_Chart_records_and_statistics#Lowest_selling_number_one

Compared with (same link):

It's rougly 1% of the Candle in the Wind weekly sales.

Pop stars are getting poorer.

Indeed, nobody cares about pop music anymore. And nobody buys it.

A huge cultural change in just a few years. It would have been inconceivable to me at school - almost everyone defined themselves by the style of pop music they liked.

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...

Finally we get a new No1 and it’s a slab of modern faceless electronic dance, perfectly harmless, but didn’t do a lot for me on first listen but I can tell it does have the potential to become an ear worm if it happens to be on your radio in constant rotation. Most likely to hear it in JD Sports..assuming they’re still open.

On 03/01/2020 at 00:10, Sugarlips said:

so moving swiftly on, this weeks number one is River by Ellie Goulding, not a bad effort in a harmless Sarah McLaughlin/Tori Amos ‘90’s b side kind of way, not sure quite how it shifted enough copies but good on her for sticking with a traditional style

You are aware this is just a cover of a Joni Mitchell track? Only listened to the first few seconds of the new version but doesn't even sound like she's done anything interesting with it.

Edited by JoeDavola

Don Coglione

Prior to opening this thread, I had assumed that this week's number one would have been The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine) by REM!